Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement for my 2013 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Replacement for my 2013 Boxster S

My 981 is eight years old and I'm looking to replace it. I've owned Porsches for decades, mostly 911s, and after 7 - 8 years of ownership, I usually have my mind set on another model. And it's usually the latest 911 iteration. Unfortunately the 992 doesn't interest me in the least. It's too big and I'm not a fan of the way it sounds. The GT3 is interesting but I just don't want to spend that much on a car. Just read a review of the Boxster Spyder in Excellence, and it was really impressive except for one major concern: cylinder deactivation. The reviewer had problems on the highway with the system transitioning between 3 and 6 cylinders. Can't understand why Porsche would saddle a GT car with that system, especially since it's a low production car.

In terms of other car manufacturers the Corvette C8 seemed promising, but I want a MT for my "fun car". Nothing in the Audi, BMW or MB lineup impresses me. They are great cars for the right buyer, but nothing in their lineups impress me, with the possible exception of the M3. Its styling is kind of boring to me, but it has decent performance and it can be ordered with a MT.

So unless something comes along, I'll probably stick with my 981 BS for another 8 years. The good news is that I still like the car, it has been trouble free, and most people think it's a new car.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited by fast1; 03-16-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:02 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Is it really that big of a deal to press a button to turn off the cylinder deactivation at the start of each drive? You can also buy modules that will remember that you want it off each time you start the car. Considering that you are currently in an S and I assume you've been happy with it why not a Boxster GTS 4.0? It would be a nice upgrade over where you are now, it would be new, and it would be easier to live with than the Spyder. Either way, both would be great cars and you can't really go wrong with either if the cost doesn't bother you.
The following 4 users liked this post by KrisA:
absoluteczech (03-18-2021), Diamond Dave (03-17-2021), manifold danger (03-16-2021), wail junkie (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:13 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by KrisA
Is it really that big of a deal to press a button to turn off the cylinder deactivation at the start of each drive? You can also buy modules that will remember that you want it off each time you start the car. Considering that you are currently in an S and I assume you've been happy with it why not a Boxster GTS 4.0? It would be a nice upgrade over where you are now, it would be new, and it would be easier to live with than the Spyder. Either way, both would be great cars and you can't really go wrong with either if the cost doesn't bother you.
I assumed that the GTS was a 4 cylinder. Not interested in a 4 cyl turbo for $90K+. No offense to others who feel differently. Thanks for the feedback.
The following users liked this post:
Z3SpdDmn (03-19-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Similar - I have a 40K mile 987.2S that Is highly modified to my taste. I wouldn't trade it for anything else - new or old. I'd trade for an expensive ____insertexotichere____ but would sell it for the $. This with my 991.1S are a great pair that cover most of my addictions.

That being said - I'm always window shopping for a V8 Vantage GT, R8 - V8 Manual, DB9 or Vanquish. When I go through the DB9/Vanquish classifieds I then recall how wonderful a GT car my Jaguar XKR was; sans too much power for the car to put down, and shift to spending a fraction on a 2012-2014 XK(non R) for the same experience and similar looks. I've also perpetually shopped for a 996 and 964 since I'm done "building" what I have and would love another project.
That's how I feel about my 981BS. So I'm not about to sell it just for the hell of it. I really love the looks of the 993, but you don't see many of them for sale. As a matter of fact I don't see many 911s of any vintage for sale.The Porsche lots near me are full of Cayennes, Macans, and. Panameras, but hardly any 911s, Boxsters or Caymans.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:31 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I assumed that the GTS was a 4 cylinder. Not interested in a 4 cyl turbo for $90K+. No offense to others who feel differently. Thanks for the feedback.
In all seriousness... have you been living under a rock?

The 718 GTS 4.0 is the first place my mind went. It's a categorical upgrade in every sense, and if you're poo-pooing a 992 where you HAVE to buy an S for a manual at ~$140k, then the price should be an absolute bargain.

I find it really hard to believe you're a regular poster on these boards and didn't know that Porsche brought back the N/A flat 6 for the 718 GTS. No offense.

KrisA (03-16-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:32 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by manifold danger
In all seriousness... have you been living under a rock?

The 718 GTS 4.0 is the first place my mind went. It's a categorical upgrade in every sense, and if you're poo-pooing a 992 where you HAVE to buy an S for a manual at ~$140k, then the price should be an absolute bargain.

I find it really hard to believe you're a regular poster on these boards and didn't know that Porsche brought back the N/A flat 6 for the 718 GTS. No offense.

LOL No offense taken. I rarely go the 981 forums and never to the 718.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:01 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

LOL No offense taken. I rarely go the 981 forums and never to the 718.
Good... some forum members are super touchy, I hope you got the Chappelle reference.

Well then what do you think? If I hadn't been obsessed with 911s my entire life I'd be all over that 718 GTS 4.0. There might be one at a local dealer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!??!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Good... some forum members are super touchy, I hope you got the Chappelle reference.

Well then what do you think? If I hadn't been obsessed with 911s my entire life I'd be all over that 718 GTS 4.0. There might be one at a local dealer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!??!
I live in MD. Lots of dealers within an hour of me: Porsche of Towson, Len Stoler Porsche , Autohaus Porsche, Porsche of Deleware, Porsche of Annapolis, and Porsche of Silver Spring. Between the six dealers there were just a few 911s, Boxsters, and Spyders. Lots and lots of Cayennes and Macans. No 718 GTS for sure, but when there is I'll test drive one. It's definitely worth a look. I'd more than likely order one without options, since it's so well equipped. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

I live in MD. Lots of dealers within an hour of me: Porsche of Towson, Len Stoler Porsche , Autohaus Porsche, Porsche of Deleware, Porsche of Annapolis, and Porsche of Silver Spring. Between the six dealers there were just a few 911s, Boxsters, and Spyders. Lots and lots of Cayennes and Macans. No 718 GTS for sure, but when there is I'll test drive one. It's definitely worth a look. I'd more than likely order one without options, since it's so well equipped. Thanks for the tip.
Hey waddya know, I'm in MD too! I'll actually be heading out to the PCA Potomac autocross this weekend, first time in my 991.

Anyway, I know you're angling for a Boxster, but there are a couple Caymans in sort of vicinity (150 miles, Warrington and Ray Catena) if you're feeling up to a little road trip to check out what the new 4.0 flat six is like.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/inventorysearch/

https://www.porschewarrington.com/ne...ae04435a01.htm

https://www.raycatenaporsche.com/inventory/new-2021-porsche-718-cayman-gts-4-0-rear-wheel-drive-coupe-wp0ad2a86ms281532

Last edited by manifold danger; 03-17-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Hey waddya know, I'm in MD too! I'll actually be heading out to the PCA Potomac autocross this weekend, first time in my 991.

Anyway, I know you're angling for a Boxster, but there are a couple Caymans in sort of vicinity (150 miles, Warrington and Ray Catena) if you're feeling up to a little road trip to check out what the new 4.0 flat six is like.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/inventorysearch/

https://www.porschewarrington.com/ne...ae04435a01.htm

https://www.raycatenaporsche.com/inv...ad2a86ms281532
No, the Cayman would be fine. Thanks for the heads-up. I have two sons and daughter in laws who live just outside of Annapolis..I'm in Monkton, just a couple miles south of the Pa line. Anyway thanks again and good luck in your autocross.
manifold danger (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I've owned about 15 sports cars.. The appropriate ones for this conversation would be the s2000, '15 z51 stingray, c5z06, e92m3.. I am not brand loyal, I just like cars. I currently own a '13 boxster s and a '17 camaro ZL1. I also previously owned a '16 camaro ss. The latest gen of camaros are not the mullet-wearing, burnout owning, pos cars you remember. They are COMPLETELY new and true sports cars. I'd highly recommend you go test drive a zl1. The zl1 has most of the ergos, practicality and refinement of a M3 (better than in some areas like the radio and heated seats), the excellent handling electronics package from a corvette, the performance of a 911, a great cornering feel and *****-outness of the s2000, and a motor that is just so damn rewarding and fun - huge power and a very fast flywheel. When you drive this car and put your foot down and use all 650hp, it feels like its just abusing the pavement. It has all the modern stuff: carplay, active dampeners and exhaust valves, auto blipping, heated/cooled seats, alcantara everywhere, sunroof (or cabrio) and rear seats. Oh, and most importantly, its available in a great short throw manual.

It has that quintessential thing all real die hard car guys like.. character and a rewarding driving experience. Chevy did an amazing job with that car and if you can drop the brand loyalty snobbery most Porsche guys have, and just go drive it with an open heart, you'll see what I'm talking about. I absolutely love that car, and like you, I don't see anything in the near future that can come remotely close to replacing it for under $150K. Its that good. And, btw everything I just said about the zl1 holds for the SS, but to a lesser degree, at much less cost.

What dont I like about it? Its a little hard to see out the back, but that's ok, I'm used to it now. Its a little small inside, but much bigger than my boxster or maybe even a 911. The trunk is large, but the opening to it is small. Its not great on gas (15mpg!!) - I dont really care about that, but you may. Tires are not cheap. Uhm, I think that's it.

I had an opportunity recently to trade in my zl1 and use some cash to buy a 911, and after driving both a 997.2 and a 991.2, it was pretty clear that it would not be a good swap. The zl1 stays in the garage, and I just added a 981s for top down fun.

Last edited by Sub; 03-18-2021 at 04:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sub:
foodbiker (03-18-2021), TRINITONY (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 06:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sub
I've owned about 15 sports cars.. The appropriate ones for this conversation would be the s2000, '15 z51 stingray, c5z06, e92m3.. I am not brand loyal, I just like cars. I currently own a '13 boxster s and a '17 camaro ZL1. I also previously owned a '16 camaro ss. The latest gen of camaros are not the mullet-wearing, burnout owning, pos cars you remember. They are COMPLETELY new and true sports cars. I'd highly recommend you go test drive a zl1. The zl1 has most of the ergos, practicality and refinement of a M3 (better than in some areas like the radio and heated seats), the excellent handling electronics package from a corvette, the performance of a 911, a great cornering feel and *****-outness of the s2000, and a motor that is just so damn rewarding and fun - huge power and a very fast flywheel. When you drive this car and put your foot down and use all 650hp, it feels like its just abusing the pavement. It has all the modern stuff: carplay, active dampeners and exhaust valves, auto blipping, heated/cooled seats, alcantara everywhere, sunroof (or cabrio) and rear seats. Oh, and most importantly, its available in a great short throw manual.

It has that quintessential thing all real die hard car guys like.. character and a rewarding driving experience. Chevy did an amazing job with that car and if you can drop the brand loyalty snobbery most Porsche guys have, and just go drive it with an open heart, you'll see what I'm talking about. I absolutely love that car, and like you, I don't see anything in the near future that can come remotely close to replacing it for under $150K. Its that good. And, btw everything I just said about the zl1 holds for the SS, but to a lesser degree, at much less cost.

What dont I like about it? Its a little hard to see out the back, but that's ok, I'm used to it now. Its a little small inside, but much bigger than my boxster or maybe even a 911. The trunk is large, but the opening to it is small. Its not great on gas (15mpg!!) - I dont really care about that, but you may. Tires are not cheap. Uhm, I think that's it.

I had an opportunity recently to trade in my zl1 and use some cash to buy a 911, and after driving both a 997.2 and a 991.2, it was pretty clear that it would not be a good swap. The zl1 stays in the garage, and I just added a 981s for top down fun.
Thanks for sharing your insights. I would have really considered the Corvette C8 if it came with a MT. I'm not a fan of autos. As far as the Camaro is concerned, it's just too big for my tastes.
I'm in a good position, because I'm not in a rush. If something comes up that I like, I'll pull the trigger. If not I'll keep my 981 BS for another 8 years. The car is that good.
foodbiker (03-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 12:55 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think a new 718 4.0L GTS would be the way to go! I'm with you in that there's no way you'd get me into a 4-cyl turbo Boxster. It could have twice the power of my 981 BS. Don't care. The motoring experience isn't ALL about speed.
I just got my '14 BS 6MT with sport chrono, sport suspension, and PTVD. I've owned many good sports cars on the very affordable end of the spectrum (many BMW's, RX-8, FR-S) and raced many great cars. But so far, I'm rather infatuated with my car, even with 84k miles on it. I can see myself just investing in keeping it in good shape and driving it to 150k+. The only thing that really bugs me is the super tall 1st-3rd gears. Its such an enjoyable engine to rev out that I'd really like to get to do it more often without breaking every speed limit in the country just when topping 2nd gear! I'd probably rather do that than get a new GTS! (easy for me to say from the standpoint of not being able to afford a new GTS!)

Its really sad that there's no real equivalent out there from a competitor, with a manual transmission. And none on the horizon. I have a feeling that I bought my car at an absolute sweet spot from a value standpoint!
Even if you cant test drive a GTS, you know the 981 chassis well enough... If you go for one, you could probably do a factory order, being pretty sure you're going to like it. Happy shopping!

- Anthony
Old 03-19-2021, 04:35 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Thanks for sharing your insights. I would have really considered the Corvette C8 if it came with a MT. I'm not a fan of autos. As far as the Camaro is concerned, it's just too big for my tastes.
I'm in a good position, because I'm not in a rush. If something comes up that I like, I'll pull the trigger. If not I'll keep my 981 BS for another 8 years. The car is that good.
I bought my 981BS around the same time you did. At the time, I remember observing that when it came to two-seat sports cars, the next step up was a Ferrari 458.

Still true, IMHO. 981 = peak sports car. It was and is all downhill from there, at least until the GTS 4.0 was announced.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:43 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sub

This is why we're all different. I actually completely agree that the specs and driving experience of the ZL1 makes it one of the best possible options for a driver's car out there... except that it's just not fun to drive.

It's just. Too. Big. And confined. These cars feel downright claustrophobic to me, and I can't get over it... to the point where it just wasn't a consideration.

That said, I think they're amazingly cool cars and look and sound fantastic, and wish I could have gotten over the irritations because they're a friggin bargain compared to what I paid for my 991.2. But... despite pretty much agreeing with everything you've said here- I could never own a ZL1.

Quick Reply: Replacement for my 2013 Boxster S