Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Options for 3.4L DFI - Pros/Cons of each?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:16 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tune Options for 3.4L DFI - Pros/Cons of each?

I'm looking at purchasing a tune for my 2014 Boxster S 6MT this spring and looking at the options. My interest is to attain 991 base power levels, as it seems like it should be "free" performance (ie, not running the engine outside of its design intent and capability). I'd really like to understand what parameters are being changed to make up the difference between 315hp in the 981 and 350hp in the 991. I've heard that the throttle body plate actually gets closed down to restrict the 981 performance, but I'm looking for confirmation on that, as well as the other change points. I'm not an engine tuner, but I think I can understand enough to engage in discussion.

I'm looking for feedback on the various options that I've found, as well as any that I may not be aware of yet.
FVD (claimed 352hp/291tq)
Softronic (claimed 360hp/298tq)
Cobb Accessport (claimed +4.92%hp/+6.51tq at peak, which would be 330hp/283tq) Why is this so much less than the others?
TPC Race Tune (claimed 365hp) Note, this option is $5-600 more than the others

Your experience and help is appreciated! If anyone has dynos and lots of miles on any of these tunes to share, please do so. I'd also love to understand how each is making their power gains and what downsides any might have (like ignoring certain functions in the DME).
Thank you!

Last edited by Z3SpdDmn; 03-17-2021 at 01:19 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Z3SpdDmn:
Diamond Dave (06-02-2021), Dutchman69 (03-17-2021), Fresh.Sizzle (03-17-2021), tomekz (03-17-2021), zagamuffin (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:00 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I've added the FVD tune and FVD Sports headers to my Porsche Boxster 981S and very happy with the results. Unfortunately I did not do a before and after dyno test. The FVD tune provides 352hp and the FVD Sports Headers another 16hp. Good luck with your tune choice.

FYI, here are the headers; https://www.fvd.net/de-en/BES9811120...sportcats.html

Last edited by michaelscain; 03-17-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:14 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

I was extremely happy with my Softronic tune on my 987.1 S mated with catless headers and a Borla exhaust. Give Scott a call. You'll learn a lot about tunes. I'm planning on doing his tune on my GT4 with a fvd M&M full race exhaust.

Last edited by Last_935; 03-17-2021 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Van Larson (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 AM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Z3,

There has been a growing recognition in the press that the Feds/EPA are cracking down on tuners such as Cobb, FVD, etc. My indie told this started about a year ago and has grown in impact. It used to be that they (tuners) only had to tell the Feds that their products are for off-road use only, and the Feds backed off. The Feds approach now seems to be that if a product can be used to circumvent EPA regs (like block the O2 sensor triggered CEL due to non-cat headers), then they are going to dig into it. Cobb et al, are NOT going to fight this very hard because to do so threatens their total business.

If you think about what a tuner does (increases power at the cost of generally higher emissions), and if you think the Feds will continue on their present course (or perhaps speed up a bit due to the new administration in Washington), then be very careful about what you buy. The marketing claims of performance improvement may be based on past tuning techniques and practices, not on currently used practices. This also suggests you may not be able the achieve the performance gains you read/hear about on this and other similar gear-head sites. If those reports are from equipment installed and tuned a year of more ago, what you get now may not be the same at all.

What I'm saying above is based upon what I've heard from reliable sources and what I've read (from probably less reliable sources); I have no first hand knowledge. I also know that alot of the tuners participate on this site, so perhaps they can share some light on this.

Joe Henley
Masergss (03-29-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Interested to learn more here as I'm in the market as well. I have always heard the best about Cobb...and then adding a pro-tune on top if you want something custom and a bit more out of your cars engine.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Fresh.Sizzle
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
I'm looking at purchasing a tune for my 2014 Boxster S 6MT this spring and looking at the options. My interest is to attain 991 base power levels, as it seems like it should be "free" performance (ie, not running the engine outside of its design intent and capability). I'd really like to understand what parameters are being changed to make up the difference between 315hp in the 981 and 350hp in the 991. I've heard that the throttle body plate actually gets closed down to restrict the 981 performance, but I'm looking for confirmation on that, as well as the other change points. I'm not an engine tuner, but I think I can understand enough to engage in discussion.

I'm looking for feedback on the various options that I've found, as well as any that I may not be aware of yet.
FVD (claimed 352hp/291tq)
Softronic (claimed 360hp/298tq)
Cobb Accessport (claimed +4.92%hp/+6.51tq at peak, which would be 330hp/283tq) Why is this so much less than the others?
TPC Race Tune (claimed 365hp) Note, this option is $5-600 more than the others

Your experience and help is appreciated! If anyone has dynos and lots of miles on any of these tunes to share, please do so. I'd also love to understand how each is making their power gains and what downsides any might have (like ignoring certain functions in the DME).
Thank you!
I am interested in this too. I too would like to know verifiable dyno WHP results based on software tunes/re-maps, and not just anecdotal seat-of-the-pants claims.

It would also be interesting to know if these off-the-shelf softwares tune parameters, a/f ratrios, timing, for mid/partial-throttle applications and not just WOT. It is pointless if anything short of WOT doesn't make significant power gains in the usable power band. (Also I mean actual tuning for power, and not just the gimmicky sprint booster type throttle sensitivity maps)

Last edited by Fresh.Sizzle; 03-17-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:40 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Fresh.Sizzle
It would also be interesting to know if these off-the-shelf softwares tune parameters, a/f ratrios, timing, for mid/partial-throttle applications and not just WOT. It is pointless if anything short of WOT doesn't make significant power gains in the usable power band. (Also I mean actual tuning for power, and not just the gimmicky sprint booster type throttle sensitivity maps)
Throttled engines only make full power at WOT. At anything but WOT the thing limiting the engine power isn't the tune, it's your foot. If you want more power at part throttle you push the pedal harder, open the throttle plate, and give the engine more air.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:52 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

The Stop Sale on Sport Chrono vehicles is another indication of this trend. I'm expecting a Porsche detune for my 2013 Boxster S PDK with SC.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:55 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I must say that in my opinion, investing in a good drivers training course or some PCA DE courses would probably be the better expenditure.

A friend of mine has a '14 981CS similar to mine and has the FVD recalibration. He was impressed with the people in Pompano Beach that he dealt with and is happy with the result. Riding in the car I cannot feel any difference from mine, I have not driven his car.

At 74 years old I will probably not be alive in 20 years, or at least driving. If you want to spend the money on this recalibration I suggest you do it. When you are dead the money you would save by not doing it will not do you any good.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thacker:
Marine Blue (03-17-2021), Viper pilot (06-01-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I know I’ll take some heat for this but taking weight off the car will also improve its performance. Lighter brake rotors, wheels, battery etc. all help. I even went as far as losing some body weight
Chrismalberts (06-02-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 02:32 AM
ledbette
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I purchased a Cobb AccessPort w/tune second-hand - advantage 1 - you can uninstall and resell it.

I do quite a few track outings, and definitely notice the across-the-board HP/torque gains.

Pre-tune, I always had to engage the Sport button, otherwise the acceleration felt sluggish. Post-tune, not so much. I engage it much less frequently.

I don't have empirical evidence, but I believe the fuel economy is a bit better.

I know I can upgrade headers and pull a few more HP out of the car, but honestly, I'm as fast on the track as any other 981S. I can compete with GT4's (and often GT3's) with less experienced drivers.

If you want a pro-tune to optimize the power, you can get one.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:17 AM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I know I’ll take some heat for this but taking weight off the car will also improve its performance. Lighter brake rotors, wheels, battery etc. all help. I even went as far as losing some body weight
No flames from me. Reducing weight trumps adding power because the car will not only accelerate faster but also handle and brake better. That said, a ~$1000 quality tune, like Softronic, is a relative bargain compared to a 30-40 lb lighter lithium battery (~$700-900), 50 lb lighter bucket seats (~$2000/pair), 25 lbs lighter wheels ($$$), etc.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:51 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Once you've been bitten by the mod bug it doesn't go away. I would at least consider that you will want to add headers and get a custom tune to maximize gains. For that reason I would pick Cobb because they have a good dealer network and I know they can do custom Dyno tunes.

Another thing to consider is parting out the car when you sell it. With Cobb you can get more than half the cost of the programmer back when you sell it. That may be true of FVD as well. I'm not sure about Softronic.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:43 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by garfunkle
FVD has the most conservative marketing and best tune. Compared my 991 with a FVD tune vs softronics and Cobb on other cars with near identical mods. FVD was the fastest and most improved gain according to draggy. FVD by far has the most access to Porsche and Bosch and by far has the most experience and training. Also, all FVD does is Porsche.

I’m a fanboy.
This relatively good info. I was also having the cursory thought that FVD might have the best access. On top of that, the German TUV regulations for aftermarket manufacturers are way more stringent than our non-existent regs here. IDK if their tunes are regulated by TUV, though.

Originally Posted by Thacker
I must say that in my opinion, investing in a good drivers training course or some PCA DE courses would probably be the better expenditure.

A friend of mine has a '14 981CS similar to mine and has the FVD recalibration. He was impressed with the people in Pompano Beach that he dealt with and is happy with the result. Riding in the car I cannot feel any difference from mine, I have not driven his car.

At 74 years old I will probably not be alive in 20 years, or at least driving. If you want to spend the money on this recalibration I suggest you do it. When you are dead the money you would save by not doing it will not do you any good.

Good luck.
Thacker, maybe you didn't see my avatar. You could say that I've invested in some good drivers training courses in the past. I've been racing professionally for 5 years now
Thanks for the additional feedback.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Yeah I'll give you a little heat Everything comes with tradeoffs. Automotive development is entirely comprised of making compromises and managing trade-offs to attain a desired final product. At this point, I am not seeking "adding lightness", as I do not wish to compromise driveability, comfort, NVH, or, frankly, aesthetics. I'd have to drop 300 lbs to achieve the same power/weight ratio with stock power as I'd get by going from 315 -> 350 hp via a tune. I understand that the tune only helps in accel, but my point is that I'm not getting anywhere near 300 lbs out of the car.

Originally Posted by NAMR6MT
No flames from me. Reducing weight trumps adding power because the car will not only accelerate faster but also handle and brake better. That said, a ~$1000 quality tune, like Softronic, is a relative bargain compared to a 30-40 lb lighter lithium battery (~$700-900), 50 lb lighter bucket seats (~$2000/pair), 25 lbs lighter wheels ($$$), etc.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by ledbette
I purchased a Cobb AccessPort w/tune second-hand - advantage 1 - you can uninstall and resell it.

I do quite a few track outings, and definitely notice the across-the-board HP/torque gains.

Pre-tune, I always had to engage the Sport button, otherwise the acceleration felt sluggish. Post-tune, not so much. I engage it much less frequently.

I don't have empirical evidence, but I believe the fuel economy is a bit better.

I know I can upgrade headers and pull a few more HP out of the car, but honestly, I'm as fast on the track as any other 981S. I can compete with GT4's (and often GT3's) with less experienced drivers.

If you want a pro-tune to optimize the power, you can get one.
I didn't realize the Cobb could be unloaded and re-sold! That's a great point. However, in my case, I'm expecting to keep this car for a long time, so I'm more interested in the best tune, to a limit. I'm not interested in spending more than the $11-1200 I'm seeing for the FVD and Softronic.

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
Once you've been bitten by the mod bug it doesn't go away. I would at least consider that you will want to add headers and get a custom tune to maximize gains. For that reason I would pick Cobb because they have a good dealer network and I know they can do custom Dyno tunes.
I've gone through this on other cars. Support for the tune is a big deal.

I'm still listening for feedback from others.
Thanks for all the replies so far!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
I've gone through this on other cars. Support for the tune is a big deal.

I'm still listening for feedback from others.
Thanks for all the replies so far!
I'd definitely give Scott at Softronic a call I think it will be very educational and well worth your time.

Quick Reply: Tune Options for 3.4L DFI - Pros/Cons of each?