Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does a stock battery last?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 07:41 AM
dvon
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How long does a stock battery last?

I have a 2013 and noticed recently when I was doing some testing with my stereo with the engine off the battery drained very quickly. I’m thinking I may need a new battery but curious what the avg lifespan is.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:22 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

My '14 CS will be 8 years old in Sept. Still on the original battery and seems to be doing fine. It's on a battery tender during the winter months when driven infrequently. That said, I wouldn't think you've done too badly if your '13 needs a battery soon.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:37 PM
bigmoguls
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

my 981 was built in 2/2013 and it still had the original battery in June of 2020 when I changed it. The Auto/Start/Stop function had stopped working with the original battery, but it always started.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:02 PM
dvon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigmoguls
my 981 was built in 2/2013 and it still had the original battery in June of 2020 when I changed it. The Auto/Start/Stop function had stopped working with the original battery, but it always started.
did you change it preventatively or because the start/stop wasn’t working?
Old 07-04-2021, 08:12 PM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The original battery in my '14 BS was apparently fine but I preemptively changed it (with OEM) several months ago to avoid surprises at the track.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:54 PM
dvon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dcharnet
The original battery in my '14 BS was apparently fine but I preemptively changed it (with OEM) several months ago to avoid surprises at the track.
yeah I think I’m just gonna do mine preemptively as well
Old 07-06-2021, 08:22 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

The 2 dumbest things, both can be avoided....Dead battery (Change it after 5=6 years) and running out of gas... pretty much anything else...s**t happens
Old 07-06-2021, 08:25 AM
dvon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dak911
The 2 dumbest things, both can be avoided....Dead battery (Change it after 5=6 years) and running out of gas... pretty much anything else...s**t happens
ha, agreed. This might sound odd but I’ve never had a car long enough before this to need a new battery. Longest I’ve had a car before was 6 years
Old 07-06-2021, 08:54 AM
bigmoguls
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvon
did you change it preventatively or because the start/stop wasn’t working?
A little of both, while I keep A/S/S disabled, it was an indicator to me that the battery was not in top form. I live in southeast Texas, where 4 year battery life is typical.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:37 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a 2013 and noticed recently when I was doing some testing with my stereo with the engine off the battery drained very quickly. I’m thinking I may need a new battery but curious what the avg lifespan is.
I usually replace auto batteries every 5 years. Had an older car (daughter's 2005 Pontiac GP GTP) that started taking longer to crank. Tested battery and found it OTW out so replaced. Found out previous owner had taken the easy way out and put in a smaller battery to avoid having to take off body strut and ECU to get battery out (apparently Porsche isn't the only maker out there that likes to make it "interesting" to swap batteries), so replaced with recommended size. Had a 2015 BGTS that started giving weird, random error codes (e.g. "Heated steering wheel fault"--on a car w/o a heated steering wheel) so replaced battery in 2020 and electrical gremlins went away.

Other things:

Tires: 6 year max, regardless of treadwear
Serpentine belt: 5 years

Everything else, I follow manufacturer maintenance schedule.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

High quality brands of Lead/Acid NOWADAYS is about 4 years on average... cheaper batteries tend to have a shorter life span. Reasons can be due to the modern start/stop system taking the battery into a deeper state of discharge which actually lessens the life of the battery, but also and more significantly is that the Lead/Acid Manufacturers are building in a certain amount of obsolesces whereas years ago the batteries were made with more pure lead, and stronger more durable interconnectors, you will find a modern lead acid battery gets about 4 years so that there can be more of a recurring revenue stream for the manufacturers. Long lasting batteries don't sell as much so they want to sell more batteries more often.

The thing that will dramatically lessen the life on a Lead/Acid battery is allowing the battery to drain dead a few times. That damages the Lead/Acid battery and really diminishes the life span. So try to not allow it to drain below 11.5v much just to be safe. Deep Discharges into the 6v and lower range really shorten the lifespan dramatically.

Last edited by Antigravity; 07-07-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 PM
dawheat
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

2014 Boxster S changed it a couple months ago at 17K miles when autostop/start would message as not activating in dashboard and occasionally seat would not stop at the correct position.

Car otherwise drove fine but decided that was pushing it far enough and didn't want to get stranded (AAA or not).
Old 07-14-2021, 02:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I changed the battery in my 2013 BS after seven years. The only symptom I had was that was that the start/stop worked only periodically. Other than that no issues. No hesitation starting even when temperatures fell to the single digits. My view was that it was better to change the battery a year early than a day late.

Quick Reply: How long does a stock battery last?