Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with P1670 & P1672 fault codes (engine compartment purge fans)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 01:37 AM
Josh981
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed with P1670 & P1672 fault codes (engine compartment purge fans)

Hello fellow 981 enthusiasts,

I could use some help. My 2013 Boxster S has recently shown P1670 & P1672 fault codes which relate to the two engine compartment purge fans. I verified after bringing the car up to full temp (and a relatively warm outside temp here in Southern California) that neither fan is working. I can see both fans with a flashlight looking into the side vents and nothing is obstructing the blades. There is no fuse I can see from the manual that is part of this circuit, and indeed none of my fuses are blown. It seems way too coincidental to have both fans trigger fault codes at the same time, so I suspect it is something with the circuit. Have any of you had this issue and can share what the fix was for you?

Thanks in advance!

Josh
Old 12-08-2021, 09:30 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh981
Hello fellow 981 enthusiasts,

I could use some help. My 2013 Boxster S has recently shown P1670 & P1672 fault codes which relate to the two engine compartment purge fans. I verified after bringing the car up to full temp (and a relatively warm outside temp here in Southern California) that neither fan is working. I can see both fans with a flashlight looking into the side vents and nothing is obstructing the blades. There is no fuse I can see from the manual that is part of this circuit, and indeed none of my fuses are blown. It seems way too coincidental to have both fans trigger fault codes at the same time, so I suspect it is something with the circuit. Have any of you had this issue and can share what the fix was for you?

Thanks in advance!

Josh
Could be the temp sensor in the engine bay that is used by the ECU to trigger running these purge fans and what speed the fans run at. There is only one temp sensor.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:31 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Searched the Porsche parts PDF for sensor and found 997 606 213 00 as the engine bay temp sensor.
The following users liked this post:
okie981 (12-08-2021)
Old 11-05-2023, 07:46 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Cheers Josh, did you ever figure out what the issue was with the two fan fault codes?

I have P1671 & P1672 as well-

Coleman
Old 11-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Josh981
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
Cheers Josh, did you ever figure out what the issue was with the two fan fault codes?

I have P1671 & P1672 as well-

Coleman
After resetting the ECU, the engine purge fan fault codes never came back. A local Indy hooked up a PIWIS to it, too, and said no faults registered with it. So maybe it was a fluke?

But, one thing is for absolute certain, the engine purge fans DO NOT function at all as described in the Service Information booklet. I've heard them come on once in the last year, and in a seemingly random way. After a 15 minute very normal, non-spirited drive on an not especially hot day, I hear them come on for a few seconds after I shut the car off. They didn't stay on long, less than 1 minute. I drive my car quite hard regularly in the local canyons where I live in Los Angeles. Even turning off the car at the top of a hard canyon drive, without a cool down, I don't hear the fans come on. But then again, no error codes either. It's baffling.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:56 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Josh, thank you for the reply- good news, maybe it is sort of a fluke? I can't imagine why both would give a error at the same time- I will see if an ECU reset works- my fans work like yours as well, which is nothing like the tech document describes.. Seems like they come on randomly once in a while after driving...
Old 11-08-2023, 09:50 AM
Osiicks
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re-post - same purge fan problem

Didn't see this discussion before I made separate post - description of what I am dealing with - any advice appreciated.

This code pops up on my Foxwell - Engine Purge Fan Electrical Fault - P1672. I know there are some previous threads on this and have tried nearly everything suggested. I live in Florida and obviously gets very hot here. I don't track the car (yet) - but previous owner did.

- Checked air ducts - some rubber worms and rocks in there but nothing obstructing the blades.
- Tried running purge fan active test with Foxwell, both high / low speed tests and fans do not turn on - ran same test on L/R radiator fans and they both turned on.
- Removed both fans (easy after removing top engine cover - they just pull off from the grommet - no obvious mechanical damage, they spin freely.
- Both seem to spool up and work fine using spare 12v battery connected.
- Checked fuses in the aux fuse panel (5 and 7, all fuses in panel seem fine) in the left right trunk under the carpet - all good
- Replaced the three Bosch min-cube 5-pin relays for purge fan circuit with exact same Bosch / TE relay.
- Temp sensor in engine bay seems fine and is in right place - understand I would get a dash message if the sensor is bad or has blown circuit.
- No dice!

Any suggestions? Two new fans are about $500 so want to do all of the diagnostics before I place order from FCP, Pelican, Suncoast etc.

Thanks in advance - Larry

Osiicks is online now Report Post
Old 12-07-2023, 09:44 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I had the same solution. I did find a couple of small leaves in / touching the fan areas, depending on how sensitive the resistance of the fan is set to measure, something like the leaves from the oak trees out here could have tripped it. I removed the leaves and reset the ECU and the problem is gone....

Quick Reply: Help needed with P1670 & P1672 fault codes (engine compartment purge fans)