Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 12:15 PM
EdinTX
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TPMS sensor question

Hi guys, on my next tire change I'm switching out the OEM chrome wheels on my '15BS to HRE FF01's in satin black. If I swap the stems and sensors over to the new wheels I'll save the cost of new sensors, but the silver stems against black might not look that good. Does anyone know if the TPMS sensor and stem come apart, possibly allowing inexpensive black stems to be added to my OEM sensors or is it one unit? Maybe there's an option to put some kind of sleeve over the stem to change color? Thanks!.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:47 PM
CaymanJonez
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey...did that change last year on my Cayman to IPA FF01...they fit and look fantastic. At the time I was advised by my indy mechanic to get all new TPMS as the battery life is about 5-7 years. They are not expensive and it would be a bummer to mount up your new rims and then a few months in have a battery fail. Cheers
https://www.tpms.com/Porsche-Cayman-...che-cayman.htm

The following users liked this post:
EdinTX (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:48 AM
EdinTX
Advanced

Perfect! Price is much cheaper than I thought and I see they are available in black. Thanks so much. Your car looks great. Where did you source the center caps?

Last edited by EdinTX; 12-18-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:00 PM
CaymanJonez
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are factory caps...but I did buy 2 different sets on ebay and had them painted to match the rims. The HRE center caps look nice but I found them to be fragile. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2021, 06:32 AM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW there are some rip off outfits out there for TPMS sensors! tpms.com do a set of 4 x Huf sensors of $139 whereas a company in the UK (tpmswarehouse.co.uk) sell the identical units but charge £86.40 for ONE so that's roughly $400 for a set of 4 !!!
Old 12-19-2021, 08:03 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Zingari
WOW there are some rip off outfits out there for TPMS sensors! tpms.com do a set of 4 x Huf sensors of $139 whereas a company in the UK (tpmswarehouse.co.uk) sell the identical units but charge £86.40 for ONE so that's roughly $400 for a set of 4 !!!
I noticed in the old related thread below from 2014 about the Huf IntelliSens TPMS Sensors that they need to be programmed and are half the price of the pre-programmed “direct fit” sensors. Is this still the case for these IntellSens sensors and if so, how much does this add to the cost for programming when having the tires mounted? Is this still the bargain it appears to be? I am looking for the best value for TPMS sensors for my new winter wheels for my 981.
Jim
Old 12-20-2021, 11:49 AM
EdinTX
Advanced

You beat me to it, Jim!
I just got off the phone with my installer and asked about cost to install new TPMS sensors on the new wheels I'm getting. He said as long as they don't need "programming", no charge. I just assumed they were plug and play so interested in whether the HUF sensors require this.

EDIT:
Off the TPMS site: "TPMS.com offers universal TPMS sensors and systems from the industry’s top-performing manufacturers, including Huf IntelliSens.................Just use a programmer on these cloneable TPMS sensors before installation, and they’ll work with almost any vehicle. Best of all, these programs can be updated, so these sensors will always be usable in new vehicles as they come to market.

So looks like extra step (and $) at install.

Last edited by EdinTX; 12-20-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:25 AM
EdinTX
Advanced

The description on TPMS.com for the set of sensors they recommend for 2015 Boxster (P/N 7PP907275F) says this:

Which sounds like installer doesn't have to program the sensor. I emailed tpms this morning to get clarification and they responded:

"It is programmed, nothing needs to be done to it. After it is installed, the TPMS relearn/reset process will need to be done"

So sounds like they really are a bargain.

Last edited by EdinTX; 12-21-2021 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 05:18 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by EdinTX
The description on TPMS.com for the set of sensors they recommend for 2015 Boxster (P/N 7PP907275F) says this:

Which sounds like installer doesn't have to program the sensor. I emailed tpms this morning to get clarification and they responded:

"It is programmed, nothing needs to be done to it. After it is installed, the TPMS relearn/reset process will need to be done"

So sounds like they really are a bargain.
I am not quite ready to buy and mount tires on my winter wheels, so if you are going ahead with your purchase of these Huf Intellisens sensors would you please update us of your experience.
Jim
Old 12-22-2021, 08:49 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 208 Posts

I’ve used the Huf sensors from tpms.com and they work with no programming. These were on a set of track wheels and I had no issue swapping back and forth from street to track wheels.

When I powder coated my OE wheels black, I left the original valve stems (silverish). I cannot really tell that they do not match the gloss black and have not given them another thought. For me, the silver wheel weights are much more noticeable than the valve stems.

The original TMPS batteries are still going strong on my 2012-build ‘13. We had original sensors still working on a Volvo after almost 11 years when we sold it.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:31 PM
EdinTX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I am not quite ready to buy and mount tires on my winter wheels, so if you are going ahead with your purchase of these Huf Intellisens sensors would you please update us of your experience.
Jim
Sure will. Probably won't be til Jan due to back order on tires.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:35 PM
EdinTX
Advanced

Originally Posted by toma nova
I’ve used the Huf sensors from tpms.com and they work with no programming. These were on a set of track wheels and I had no issue swapping back and forth from street to track wheels.

When I powder coated my OE wheels black, I left the original valve stems (silverish). I cannot really tell that they do not match the gloss black and have not given them another thought. For me, the silver wheel weights are much more noticeable than the valve stems.

The original TMPS batteries are still going strong on my 2012-build ‘13. We had original sensors still working on a Volvo after almost 11 years when we sold it.
Thanks for the feedback.
Interesting comment about the silverish stems with black wheels. Maybe I'll go that way- the black stem option from HUF is $39 extra for the set.

Quick Reply: TPMS sensor question