Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected PSE behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 02:01 PM
fatherdougal
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Expected PSE behaviour

Hi all
I got PSE installed on my 2014 Cayman S by a local indie and just wanted to check its behaviour is as expected. On my 911 GTS at idling when I press the sports exhaust button there is a very definite change in exhaust note, much throatier. On the retro-fitted PSE on my Cayman, pressing the button at idle makes no difference.

Changing to sport mode, PSE definitely takes effect and I get the growl and crackles that I would expect. But I can't quite work out if that is due to the sport mode taking effect and more aggressive gearing. In short, it's like the PSE is on all the time and noticeable due to changing to Sport or Sports+ mode rather than the PSE button on the console.

Does that sound right? If not, does it sound like PSE hasn't been coded properly by the indie? I'm a bit confused....
Old 03-30-2022, 04:19 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

PSE on the cayman barely changes anything in the cabin. It changes the exterior volume out the pipes quite a bit. Try it while driving with the windows down, particularly in a tunnel.

Even in normal mode, you can push the button to turn on (loud mode) PSE so you can test it independently of the sport modes.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:19 PM
fatherdougal
AutoX

Yes, it's the last sentence that I am struggling with - it definitely works, as proven by noise going through a tunnel. What doesn't happen is any change at all in the exhaust note when pressing the Sports Exhaust button when not in one of the Sports modes...
Old 03-30-2022, 05:21 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatherdougal
Yes, it's the last sentence that I am struggling with - it definitely works, as proven by noise going through a tunnel. What doesn't happen is any change at all in the exhaust note when pressing the Sports Exhaust button when not in one of the Sports modes...
Conversely, you can put it in Sport or Sport Plus and turn off PSE to see if it gets quieter. I never use Normal+PSE combo so I can't directly comment I guess. I frequently use Sport+PSE ON and Sport+PSE OFF and there's def a difference outside the car.

FWIW, there's not a whole lot to screw up in the programming. It's just a box you check with no other options. I did it myself on a buddy's hacked PIWIS.
The following users liked this post:
fatherdougal (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 05:30 PM
fatherdougal
AutoX

Thanks for your help..! So when I put the car in Sport or Sport Plus and turn off PSE it makes no difference to the sound. Think it might be permanently on and the button not coded (checked the box on PIWIS?)
Old 03-30-2022, 08:38 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

Thanks for your help..! So when I put the car in Sport or Sport Plus and turn off PSE it makes no difference to the sound. Think it might be permanently on and the button not coded (checked the box on PIWIS?)
Its easy enough to check. You can easily see the valves under the corners of each bumper and manually manipulate the lever. Just have someone test the buttons while looking at them, or lay your phone under one of them and video it.

PSE has its own ECU logic, and is not simply on/off with the button. It will open up even when turned off if the car is under sudden heavy load, and it can close at lower RPMs (some theorize this is due to noise restrictions in Europe, so "neighborhood mode" I guess). As with anything Porsche, its complicated, hence why many that like the PSE sound simply remove and plug the valve vacuum lines. Then PSE is on 100% of the time without any ECU interference

Last edited by ICNU; 03-30-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:50 PM
cbarra
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That exactly what I thought about mine. I went from a 2.5 718 with PSE to the 981 S with PSE. On the 4–banger you could tell immediately when PSE was activated. 981 - not so much. Apparently that’s normal. I checked my valves just to be sure.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:16 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

I thought the valves don't open when you're stopped as some sort of "drive off" volume control? Indeed, there are lots of variables involved with when it opens or not. I think maybe in Normal mode with PSE off, it'll still open if you floor it above a certain RPM? hah who knows. All I know is that in Sport mode, turning it off should clearly be off with windows down in a tunnel. Off is always Off, but On isn't always On.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:32 AM
fatherdougal
AutoX

Thanks txbdan - so mine definitely doesn't operate like that. On my 911 even stationary, the valves open when pressing the PSE button - but appreciate the 981 S may be different. When in Sport mode, turning it off makes no difference to the sound, and it appears to remain on
Old 04-02-2022, 11:13 AM
FINZ
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m don’t have PSE so cannot help with your question, but am curious as to the labor time involved to do the install. I am considering the same.

Hi all
I got PSE installed on my 2014 Cayman S by a local indie...
Old 04-02-2022, 05:47 PM
fatherdougal
AutoX

They charged me for 4 hours labour. Hope this helps.
FINZ (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 06:08 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

i was a bit confused with mine when i first purchased my 981 BS, i thought it wasn't working also. However if you are parked and in normal mode put the windows down and rev the motor pretty good. Then hit the button to open the valves and rev again, you should hear a difference. Maybe have someone else do it while you're behind the car. I definitely notice the difference more with "Sport" mode engaged and the PSE on, louder, burblier, and more pops/crackles.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:18 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Your PSE button isn't connected / functioning properly. On my 981 GTS sitting still I can hear a definite change in volume opening or closing it with only the PSE button in non sport mode. The PSE button will also close the exhaust in Sport or Sport Plus mode. In non sport mode on a 981 PSE automatically opens above 4500 RPM and automatically closes below 4500 RPM if it automatically opened.

Quick Reply: Expected PSE behaviour