Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a left over Cobb Stage 2 tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 09:29 PM
Junkyardspecial
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with a left over Cobb Stage 2 tune?

Recently purchased a Cobb tuner for my new to me 981 GTS, I know on other accessports you can download tunes from other users, so I figure I search for someone with a leftover stage 2 tune that hasn't been removed when Cobb deleted them all. If someone would be so kind to let me grab it from them, that would be awesome!

Last edited by Junkyardspecial; 04-30-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:39 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

I have all of the original V200 OTS tunes locally on my PC, however I cant recall if the GTS and the S which I have share the same tunes, or if the GTS is a different tune? I'll gladly share them with you, but you will need to confirm if they are compatible
The following users liked this post:
Junkyardspecial (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 02:20 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I also have the V200 tunes, and interestingly, I still have access to download them through the web portal through the "My Downloadable Products" link since I had previously "purchased" and downloaded them.
Junkyardspecial (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 10:36 PM
Junkyardspecial
Rennlist Member

I actually grabbed some from another person off FB, but I guess the mystery is now the difference between GTS and S. I see there are about 75 different kinds to sort though, Ill have to wait til my AP gets here to upload and see if they all get a proper label.
ICNU (05-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 11:06 PM
Jeffos
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m in the same boat as you but with the GT4
Old 05-03-2022, 08:31 PM
Junkyardspecial
Rennlist Member

I just emailed COBB today and they told me the S and GTS have different ECUs ( go figure ). But the AP is the same for both models, and the tunes for both trims are pre loaded into the AP. So that would tell me all old v200 tunes should carry over and load in just fine.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:13 AM
Turboale
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

So are we safe to use Accessport manager? My car came with headers with high flow cats and a OTS headers tune. I really don't want to loose the current tune, I know it passes emissions the way it sits. No idea if anything is turned off to achieve that. If I try to back up the tunes locally do you think it will modify the tune? My initial guess is they wouldn't have that kind of access but in the connected world we live in I feel like it at least needs to be asked.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:29 AM
ICNU
Pro

After reading through all the recent drama with the Cobb Green initiative, it seems the only issue is for those guys that never offloaded their tunes to a PC for backup, and then connected the AP up and updated the software which then changes or removed the offending tunes.

There was another recent discussion where someone claimed they talked to Cobb, and they said you can still load the old files on the unit if you have them, however I dont recall exactly which forum this post was in. I haven't updated my AP in a few years, however it has been updated once beyond the initial V200 setup it all had when I first bought it years ago and all my old tunes files are still fine.

It appears the two main issues is they are gone from the Cobb website, so one must back up their current files before ever connecting the AP to update it again, or they will be removed and lost. At least that's what I get from all the reading, but I'm not sure if I would trust me either in this situation, so do what you wish with that info. My plan is to keep using my current "ain't broke so don't fix it" mentality and never ever update the Cobb any further just in case despite their claim that the old files can be loaded back in

Last edited by ICNU; 05-05-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:23 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm no expert on Cobb but with other tunes I first had to connect to my car and download the ecu ID info. Then send that file to the tuner so they could ensure they were sending me the correct tune file for my ecu. Seems like sharing tunes between users would skip all that and could result in getting a tune file that isn't right for the ecu. Maybe not a concern in this case?
Old 05-05-2022, 03:04 PM
ICNU
Pro

Yes, I had to do that as well for my pro tune, however they’re talking about the off-the-shelf generic Cobb tunes which are posted on their website and available to anyone.

They are quite mild though, even the stage two, so one needs a proper pro tune to match up to the other popular vendors such as Softronic and FVD which are essentially custom pro tune to begin with.

The increase in power from a stage two to a pro tune can be more than stock to stage two, so they leave a fair amount on the table

The AP is indeed married to the specific car though at all times, and everything must be removed and unmarried before that device could be used on another vehicle

Last edited by ICNU; 05-05-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:51 PM
Junkyardspecial
Rennlist Member

Yes got my AP today, it can see stage 2 tunes just fine, just now searching for GTS specific stage 2 tunes.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:32 PM
Junkyardspecial
Rennlist Member

Quick bump in case anyone else might have 981 Cayman GTS specific stage 2 tunes laying around.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:27 PM
Junkyardspecial
Rennlist Member

Just to bump again, I managed to get some GTS tunes, I will see if I can figure out how to upload them here.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:27 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Cheers, I have a couple of 981 GTS Manual Stage II tunes I'm willing to trade/ swap.. they are for a modified (S O U L) exhaust system, I'm specifically looking for an older tune to help with the ECU light- The tune is great, but the O2 CEL getting to be a PITA.

Last edited by Coleman; 02-27-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:43 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I know it’s more money. But if I had a Cobb already I would just look to get a protune and be done. Assuming all the planned mods are in place. I know Cobb well from the subie world. I did the mods I wanted for the street, got an e-tune and was done. Still have the 21 year old WRX and tune runs great, no issues.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a left over Cobb Stage 2 tune?