Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 01:33 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

"The big reason why I'm attracted to this GTS is the overall experience that the car provides. I like that it's a bit slower than my Corvette was, which felt unusable at times on normal city roads."

If your C8 felt unusable on normal city roads, why would you be considering a Z06, which is 175hp more than your C8 and over 300hp more than the GTS? I don't get it.
The following 2 users liked this post by thedude abides:
djm68 (07-21-2022), pkalhan (07-07-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:53 PM
_nomu_
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides
"The big reason why I'm attracted to this GTS is the overall experience that the car provides. I like that it's a bit slower than my Corvette was, which felt unusable at times on normal city roads."

If your C8 felt unusable on normal city roads, why would you be considering a Z06, which is 175hp more than your C8 and over 300hp more than the GTS? I don't get it.
Because that engine! Even if it is basically unusable speed, that FPC engine and that glorious, high pitched exhaust note is irresistible to me. I mean, this is basically going to be the peak of naturally aspirated, production V8's, especially considering the ongoing push toward electric cars. The enthusiast in me just can't say no to it.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:01 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 PM
Nokones
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 15 Cayman GTS manual tranny with PTV, X73 but, no PASM (thank god), with only 13K miles and two foo foo options, 18-Way seats and Carrera Wheels. Just a couple months ago, I was offered $82K for my car here in Arizona. Of course, I declined the offer. Now, if someone wants to trade a 2023 GT3 Touring or a GT4 RS for my GTS, I might consider it.
The following users liked this post:
R-M-C (07-18-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 07:55 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by _nomu_
Because that engine! Even if it is basically unusable speed, that FPC engine and that glorious, high pitched exhaust note is irresistible to me. I mean, this is basically going to be the peak of naturally aspirated, production V8's, especially considering the ongoing push toward electric cars. The enthusiast in me just can't say no to it.
I'm with you 100%. I don't really like the C8 but that engine, OMG what a machine. Highest HP naturally aspirated engine ever in a production car. I love it! But I do worry about reliability. GM says it doesn't share a single part with any engine they've ever made. If they can pull this off its one of the greatest engineering feats in the history of the automobile.

More on topic, I think you'll love the 981. It is arguably one of the best sports cars ever made. The balance, precision and agility make it a joy to drive at any speed. And with a tune (FVD or Softronic) you'll get an honest 350+/- HP which in a car weighing 3,000 lbs is not slow. The 3.4L is a honey.

Keep us posted on your search.

Last edited by Nip are; 06-30-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:34 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 276 Posts

981 is amazing if you’re going to keep and drive it. If you flip it in a year or two, you risk having bought high, then having to sell low. With Porsche upping production, how can the bubble not deflate a bit.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:07 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides

I was going to say a Vette seems more usable on city streets to me than a high revving p-car. I've also had american muscle and I honestly think it's better if you live in crowded places like the tri-state, LA, Chi, MIA, etc etc. At least you get that low end torque from traffic light to traffic light, as opposed to finding room to wring out the motor to 7 or 8k.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:25 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I feel like city driveability has a lot more to do with gearing than with just raw engine torque/power. 981 gearing is definitely not ideal for the city; way too tall at 83mph at redline in 2nd. I can sometimes rev out first gear but above 4.5k rpm on 2nd is heading to highway speeds (~50mph at 4.5k rpm).
In comparison, the C8 w/ Z51 hits 58 at redline in 2nd and 84 in 3rd.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:08 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Couple of points on the 981 Cayman GTS from someone who bought one to drive a mid-engine Porsche variant, different from the rear-engine cars.

- I have a 997 GTS and I personally love driving the 981 Cayman GTS over that one, that is how good the driving/handling dynamics are. The 981/718 platform is just amazing. Porsche guys who don't know this, is missing out.
- I do get asked 'don't you want a GT4' from strangers and friends alike. The answer is no - based on my use case. I will take the GTS to the track eventually but I'm not a track rat. I do more time driving on the streets - doing errands or taking it to work. Serious track guys I know (I'm talking about guys who have modified their cars or brought those GT4 club race cars) all say the GTS is 90% of the GT4. Which is enough for me.
- I do hear about the tall gearing alot but personally I don't have an issue with it.
- PSE on the 981 GTS is bottom line just crazy good. Everyone in real life or in those review videso all agree the stock PSE on the 981 Cayman is just incredible and no later Cayman seems to be capturing that aural magic including the new 4.0 GTS.

80k is high, not making a recco to buy that one you are speaking of but definitely think the car is just an all-timer.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

The market right now is an interesting one. It is softening for sure. Inventory is increasing, cars are sitting for longer and over priced cars aren't selling. As a data point I have a saved search in auto trader for 981 BS/BGTS manual nation wide. 3 months ago that would typically result in a dozen cars. Now I get almost twice that. Prices however are still the same on average or slightly lower.

As a buyer you might logically wait for prices to drop. The problem with that strategy is that sellers of high quality cars will likely do the same, wait until the market stabilizes. My definition of a high quality car is one with a higher spec, low miles (<15K), low owners (1 or 2) and sold by a porsche dealer or select private owner.

If I was a buyer rather than sitting on the sidelines, I'd take this as an opportunity to negotiate.

Last edited by Nip are; 07-01-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:03 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the 981 GTS is a honey and that you're likely tol enjoy it for years to come if it suits you last. I've wanted to get back into a Boxster for a long time (after owning a 986S for ~10 yrs and building it into an very capable track car in it's later years...only to have lost it in a crash at Laguna Seca) and was in a place to do so last year. I had angst about current market pricing but pulled the trigger on my current 981 BGTS knowing I was paying, likely, top dollar...but I got the car I wanted and I have zero regrets. I bought a 7k mile / perfect condition / options I wanted car...and I've put a little over 5k miles on it in the last 8 months (fortunately for me, almost all of those miles are either mountain road miles - HWY 9 in the Santa Cruz mountains where I grew up, or HWY 1 trips back and forth to Santa Barbara to see my daughter) and I am absolutely digging the car. I also had some angst about the 981 vs the earlier 986 / 987 cars for all the reasons that we know...and about the pricier GTS versus a solidly-spec'd S (which I also would have bought had I found the right car) but for how I use the car, I'm extremely happy with my choice. This car can do long highway cruises comfortably and efficiently (it's my mini-GT car, if you will) and carve a canyon road with incredible aplomb and driver engagement.

WRT to the Vette / FPC discussion: I, too, am a huge fan of the FPC naturally-aspirated V8's and think that the new Z06 will be an absolute stonker of a performance car...whether it solves the driver engagement issues that the think the current C8 lineup suffers from, only time will tell. I bet it will...and it's a car I think I'd like to own some day. There is, of course, a current FPC car that can scratch that itch for you...and has been scratching mine for the last 6 years...the GT350. My base (no electronics / AC / etc) R excites the crap out of me every time I drive it (I daily-drove it for 4 years and still drive it at least 3 times a week for short canyon blasts) and it's not just about the engine. It's probably 'better', objectively, in every performance and engagement category than my BGTS (tranny is' better', motor is 'better', brakes are 'better', grip is 'better', etc...there's a reason it was faster around LS than a 458 Italia and was at the top of al the 'best drivers car' lists)...and it's an incredible, accessible (price-wise) package. But so is the 981 GTS. And despite spending $20k-plus more for my used BGTS than my new GT350R (not-inflation-adjusted and different market timing), I have zero regrets buying my BGTS. (I also feel like it's a 'Goldilocks' combo of cars considering price)

To each his own, but it is telling that you won't find any people who regret buying a 981 in the spec they desire. In fact, you'll find many folks who think the a 981 GTS is one of the best modern Porsches...making it one of the best modern cars, period.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:22 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 398 Posts

Prices on these cars are nuts. The car in question has 21k miles, 4 previous owners (the first owner had it as a corporate car), clean Carfax, what looks like regular maintenance records.

Good options, low miles, very clean exterior and interior. But $80k for a 6 year old car is making me pause a bit. I thought I'd come here and just get a sanity check.

This would be my first Porsche. What do the people of Rennlist think about this prospect?
I recently sold my highly spec'd 981 CS with X73, SC, and was basically a few alcantara bits and front facade away from a GTS for about $30K less than the $80K you are considering to give you some perspective.

You could save a TON of money getting a nicely spec'd 981 CS

btw, I sold mine and bought a base 718 6MT and couldn't be happier....I would highly suggest test driving a 718 to compare it, like I did....the instant low end torque of the turbo is addicting and might change your mind
ElCid86 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 04:36 PM
_nomu_
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I recently sold my highly spec'd 981 CS with X73, SC, and was basically a few alcantara bits and front facade away from a GTS for about $30K less than the $80K you are considering to give you some perspective.

btw, I sold mine and bought a base 718 6MT and couldn't be happier....I would highly suggest test driving a 718 to compare it, like I did....the instant low end torque of the turbo is addicting and might change your mind
I thought about trying to find a CS or BS, but damn...it is seemingly impossible to find one with the proper specs. I ran through all of the BS for sale on Cars.com and not one has the sports exhaust added, which is a must for me.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:44 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 398 Posts

I thought about trying to find a CS or BS, but damn...it is seemingly impossible to find one with the proper specs. I ran through all of the BS for sale on Cars.com and not one has the sports exhaust added, which is a must for me.
don't let that deter you....I spent about $800 shipped for this one that also saved about 30 pounds in weight savings and sounded amazing.

ElCid86 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 04:48 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX

Whoever got your car must have gotten a good deal. All that specs and for 50k? Manual too?

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.