Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 12:07 AM
_nomu_
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.

Prices on these cars are nuts. The car in question has 21k miles, 4 previous owners (the first owner had it as a corporate car), clean Carfax, what looks like regular maintenance records.

Good options, low miles, very clean exterior and interior. But $80k for a 6 year old car is making me pause a bit. I thought I'd come here and just get a sanity check.

This would be my first Porsche. What do the people of Rennlist think about this prospect?
Old 06-29-2022, 02:56 AM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

It would help to know what you're coming from and what you expect or hope to get out of the car. I also assume you've actually driven it.

In my opinion: if it doesn't feel right, it isn't right. This is an emotional choice; nothing seriously rational about it. Provided the specific car you've found has proven to be a good example (seems like it), you should be strictly excited, not nervous or concerned.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 06-29-2022 at 05:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vartech (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:13 AM
madsedan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have to ask, then yes, probably not the right deal for you.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:00 AM
ADC1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Only 1 showing on Porsche locator for sale. There are about 12 available across the US which is low supply.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-YV0KOR
Old 06-29-2022, 11:44 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

This...
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
...In my opinion: if it doesn't feel right, it isn't right...you should be strictly excited, not nervous or concerned.
And this...
Originally Posted by madsedan
If you have to ask, then yes, probably not the right deal for you.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:19 PM
_nomu_
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help to know what you're coming from and what you expect or hope to get out of the car. I also assume you've actually driven it.

In my opinion: if it doesn't feel right, it isn't right. This is an emotional choice; nothing seriously rational about it. Provided the specific car you've found has proven to be a good example (seems like it), you should be strictly excited, not nervous or concerned.
That's good advice.

I'm coming from a C8 Corvette. Love that car, but sold it because I got an offer that was just too good to say no to (and I'm early on the list for a Z06 this year). The big reason why I'm attracted to this GTS is the overall experience that the car provides. I like that it's a bit slower than my Corvette was, which felt unusable at times on normal city roads. The sound is just amazing and fun. And I really enjoyed the feeling when driving it.

So, I'm excited about the car. I think it's great. More than anything, I just wanted to get a pulse check on the state of the market from the members here, since you all are certainly more knowledgeable about Porsche than I am. Is just under $80k still a good value for the GTS, or have the prices ballooned high enough to make people stop and question it:?
Old 06-29-2022, 01:23 PM
maynardewm
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For 21k miles $80k is a lot.

The GTS I think is so expensive because it comes by default with every option most people want: PSE, PASM, Alcantara, Sport Chrono, sport styling, sport steering wheel, premium sound package, torque vectoring I think. Finding a 981 S with all of the good options is really hard; most are missing some of the important ones. So it’s like a “yes this is guaranteed to have all the goodies”. So it makes some sense why they are so expensive. They also sound better than the 4.0 GTS, and once tuned can be just as fast.

Personally, I think the 981 GTS will be the most desirable non-911. The styling, the creature comforts, the performance and handling, the scarcity and the fact that it’s designed for the street unlike the GT4 and it’s really the last of its kind, means it’s going to hold its value.

Last edited by maynardewm; 06-29-2022 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Remove title
EJR2 (08-04-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 01:56 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, that's what a good 981 GTS costs. I looked for a BGTS manual for a long time and finally bought a pristine heavily optioned BS instead. So price isn't really the question, but instead is that a good car. Mileage is on the high side for a premium priced car. Also 4 owners is a turn off for me personally.

if you're serious about getting a very nice 981 GTS expect to pay high 70s to low 80s. Manuals are more than PDK versions. Porsche dealer cars are my first choice followed by other lux brand dealers and in some cases private party.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:57 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by _nomu_
So, I'm excited about the car. I think it's great. More than anything, I just wanted to get a pulse check on the state of the market from the members here, since you all are certainly more knowledgeable about Porsche than I am. Is just under $80k still a good value for the GTS, or have the prices ballooned high enough to make people stop and question it:?
Well, I paid less than that for a 981 GT4 with the same mileage and desirable options (buckets, extended leather interior) two years ago. I personally wouldn't have any interest in spending that much (devalued dollar or not) today on a GTS of the same vintage.

Yes, it's a different market on the surface--inflation, supply chain shortages, et al--but all of the 981s have aged further and they've also built thousands of comparable new 718 variants (GT4, GTS 4.0) in the meantime (which were just starting to come onto the market at the time) so it's not like the overall supply of flat six Cayman GTS or GT4 (of any year/generation) is actually smaller than it was then. There's a ton of FOMO among buyers (driving demand) and sellers are exploiting it. If you can wait, probably wait. Nobody has a crystal ball (me least of all), but I currently don't see any compelling evidence that prices will continue to surge--I've seen plenty of evidence of the opposite, actually (cars sitting on the market for weeks or months, price cuts on those I've watched, etc).

That said: yeah, I think it will continue to be more engaging than the C8 at any speed despite being slower.

Originally Posted by maynardewm
Personally, I think the 981 GTS will be the most desirable non-911. The styling, the creature comforts, the performance and handling, the scarcity and the fact that it’s designed for the street unlike the GT4 and it’s really the last of its kind, means it’s going to hold its value.

Have to disagree. Not that the GTS will hold value in isolation, but that it is or ever will be the most desirable variant. T
he GT4 is not the uncompromised, hardcore track special it's made out to be...which is in fact why I'm not rushing out to get another (I wanted something even more intense). It's a road car like the GTS with a bit more NVH, a bit more power, an adjustable suspension, and some aero bits, and short of the limit they feel fairly similar. Between the two, I would absolutely get another GT4 first even if strictly for road use.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 06-29-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:49 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I paid less than that for a 981 GT4 with the same mileage and desirable options (buckets, extended leather interior) two years ago. I personally wouldn't have any interest in spending that much (devalued dollar or not) today on a GTS of the same vintage.

Yes, it's a different market on the surface--inflation, supply chain shortages, et al--but all of the 981s have aged further and they've also built thousands of comparable new 718 variants (GT4, GTS 4.0) in the meantime (which were just starting to come onto the market at the time) so it's not like the overall supply of flat six Cayman GTS or GT4 (of any year/generation) is actually smaller than it was then. There's a ton of FOMO among buyers (driving demand) and sellers are exploiting it. If you can wait, probably wait. Nobody has a crystal ball (me least of all), but I currently don't see any compelling evidence that prices will continue to surge--I've seen plenty of evidence of the opposite, actually (cars sitting on the market for weeks or months, price cuts on those I've watched, etc).

That said: yeah, I think it will continue to be more engaging than the C8 at any speed despite being slower.

Have to disagree. Not that the GTS will hold value in isolation, but that it is or ever will be the most desirable variant. The GT4 is not the uncompromised, hardcore track special it's made out to be...which is in fact why I'm not rushing out to get another (I wanted something even more intense). It's a road car like the GTS with a bit more NVH, a bit more power, an adjustable suspension, and some aero bits, and short of the limit they feel fairly similar. Between the two, I would absolutely get another GT4 first even if strictly for road use.
While you should consider yourself lucky that you got your GT4 when you did, its not a valid comparison. You know better than anyone that you wouldn't sell your GT4 for less than what a GTS costs now.

Here's a GTS that looks like a steal as long as you're ok with PDK. Unless there's something not disclosed it will sell fast. https://mart.pca.org/ads/56646
lottadot (06-30-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:11 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Last December I bought a 2015 Cayman GTS for $75K.
One owner, 18K miles, immaculate condition. Racing Yellow over leather interior (most alcantara replaced with leather).
Manual transmission!
PTV, Bose sound, 18-way seats, X73 sport suspension.
Purchased from Porsche of Silver Spring with certified pre-owned warranty.

Worth every dollar!!!
Old 06-29-2022, 06:04 PM
ADC1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nip are
Here's a GTS that looks like a steal as long as you're ok with PDK. Unless there's something not disclosed it will sell fast. https://mart.pca.org/ads/56646
Carfax looks OK with 4 owners
Old 06-29-2022, 11:04 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 531 Posts

That's where the market is. That may be a bit high but not really obscene. You're pricing sports cars at the height of summer, a Cayman GTS no less. The pricing is strong for those. There's deals to be had but you must be patient and possibly wait a loooong time. I bought both of my cars in late November/December and got fantastic deals on them despite the current prices. If you want one now to drive for the summer, you have to pay, pure and simple. Want to save, wait it out.

The one on Pcar market isn't bad. Little light on options though.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 06-29-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:00 AM
pterwilliger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately, this seems to be where the market is these days. I bought a 2016 GTS this past January, equipped the way I wanted with slightly higher mileage for $73k. I’m loving every minute with it, and happy with the decision. Go for it!
Old 06-30-2022, 01:05 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought my CGTS last September with many track stuff installed. Don't want to disclose my cost to discourage you. It is irrelevant now. This CGTS is just nothing but amazing. I am still learning on a track but it is mostly a timid driver who can't open up the full potential. I was coming from 997, probable the most engaging 911. Totally a different experience. I don't know anyone who wants to come to 911. Good luck. Please reach out f any questions.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.