Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 01:14 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott MacDonald
Good idea! Where did you connect to the fog lamp?
I am installing an Auto-Vox CS-2 Digital Wireless Backup Camera Kit, which includes its own LCD monitor. I previously tried a system that used my iPhone, but found it was unreliable and slow to connect. This unit has a camera which needs a 12 volt power source, ideally near the rear license plate, and has an antenna to communicate with the monitor.
Scott, your options are limited. Your rear backup lamp and fog lamp are in the same housing and the wires in the same assembly. No advantage in going for that wire.

Best option is the BLU/BLK wire. Read the thread HERE from Planet 9 discussing a rear view mirror camera system that needed to be switched on when the transmission was placed into reverse gear. Somewhere in the middle of the thread there was confirmation that the blue wire with a black stripe is the one, and where it can be found along the rear trunk wall.

If you want to have the camera powered at all times you could install a fuse power tap in the rear fuse box shown in your picture. Fuses 1 - 6 are hot when the DME relay is on. Fuses 7 - 9 are hot always and Fuse 10 is hot when relay KL-15 is on, (controlled by front BCM). I'd go with something on 1-6 if that's the route you decide on. If it were me I'd go for the wire as per the Planet 9 info.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks! All replies have been a great help!
I may try the fuse tap approach, since I don’t want to risk damaging the blue/black wire.
Do you have a list of what each of the fuses control? I haven’t been able to find one.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:05 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott MacDonald
Many thanks! All replies have been a great help!
I may try the fuse tap approach, since I don’t want to risk damaging the blue/black wire.
Do you have a list of what each of the fuses control? I haven’t been able to find one.
This was a PITA to look up. But here it is.

Fuse 1 - front cooling fan control, brake pedal switch, clutch sensor
Fuse 2 - clutch sensor, sound symposer valve
Fuse 3 - coolant bypass valve, camshaft controller, valve lift adjusters
Fuse 4 - ignition modules
Fuse 5 - DME power, flow control valve
Fuse 6 - coolant shutoff valves, catalytic convertor O2 sensor heaters, Engine flush high & low relays
The following users liked this post:
Scott MacDonald (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 08:33 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Success! I did go the fuse tap approach, and placed it in the number 2 slot. Power on and VOILA! I can clearly see behind me! Screen turns off when ignition is off. I’ll have to see how annoying it is to be seeing the cars behind me, and may try to wire it to only go on when in reverse in the future, but I wanted to see how well the unit worked.

Thank you ALL for your help!! The Rennlist community is the greatest!

Scott
Old 08-03-2022, 10:22 PM
Sarat
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Well if you decide to wire it to the blue/black wire. Take the rear carpet out. There is a wire loom that comes out below the rear lid catch. The wire loom runs to the left and is pretty easy to tap into. You will see it. Hard to miss. Has a little bit of cloth tape that can be unwound and wound back up. I used a red tapping connector so there is no cutting of the wire.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:30 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I have seen the loom and may give that a try (once our temperatures drop below 90 again).

Last edited by Scott MacDonald; 08-03-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Wiring Question