Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 AM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Wiring Question

I’m installing a wireless backup camera, and need help on where to wire it in so that the camera only turns on when reverse is selected. Instructions say to attach to wires to backup light, but I can’t see where to access them I have found a fuse panel in front of the passenger side tail light assembly which seems like a likely power source, but can’t find a fuse diagram that even mentions that unit.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:10 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts

I am not so sure you will find the power source you are looking for in that rear fuse panel. In the owners manual it lists the fuses in the left footwell row B2 as right reversing light and row B4 as right reversing light (probably one should be left). Each fuse also powers many other interior and exterior lights. I think you will probably have to go to a wiring diagram to find the wire you need to tap into???
Jim
Old 08-01-2022, 01:07 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Likely that you'll need to tap into the wire from the reversing light terminal of the Rear Body Control Module (BCM) under the driver's seat. Or you can go to the rear of the car where it goes into the backup light, or find that X250 connector.

The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 02:26 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you both!
YouTube shows a 10 minute connection to the wires to the backup light in a Camry. I figured I could tap into the Porsche backup light wiring, but can’t even find it…there has to be power to our backup LEDs somewhere, right?
At this point, I’d be willing to connect to a full time 12 volt source without having to wire the car from the front fuse boxes…that’s why I chose a top rated “wireless” camera in the first place!
There must be a 12 volt line in the rear fuse panel photo I posted that I could use, even if it means giving up on the “reverse only” backup camera.
I confess to being an electrical moron (electrons are involved, right?), so I need simple, basic help. “Cut the red wire. But before you do that….” That’s where I am 🙄
Old 08-01-2022, 02:34 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott MacDonald
I confess to being an electrical moron (electrons are involved, right?), so I need simple, basic help. “Cut the red wire. But before you do that….” That’s where I am 🙄
Copy/Paste or provide a link to the specific instructions you're dealing with. Sounds like you need a 12V signal when reverse is selected. Looking in the fusebox will only get you constant 12V power.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:12 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Backup Camera Wiring Question

Old 08-01-2022, 03:13 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 285 Likes on 107 Posts

I tapped into the wires here - but don't recall the colors.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:44 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

To do it as per the instructions, you need to get on the BLU/BLK wire. Should be blue with a small black stripe. See below for connection points. Highlighted is the wire that sends the 12V to the rear backup light. The connector at the light assembly requires removing the rear apron per the service manual. Connector X250 looks to have 14 total pins on it after searching the wiring diagrams, and is for all things that likely require rear apron removal, so I assume that it is back there, but it may be in the rear luggage compartment somewhere. Easiest access may be identifying the rear BCM under the driver's seat and finding a BLU/Blk wire at connector point 2 of the "B" multi-pin assembly.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:53 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Easy peasy, right? But where’s the reversing light power wire in a 2015 Boxster S?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:36 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Easy peasy, right? But where’s the reversing light power wire in a 2015 Boxster S?
Somewhere in this wiring harness

Old 08-01-2022, 09:39 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great! So if I can find a Blu/Blk wire somewhere in the rear wiring harness, I should be good? Will I still need to supply electrons or something?
Just kidding 😊
I really appreciate everyone’s help on this forum.
And may have to drive to “The bonfire Capital of the World” to finally get this sorted👍
Old 08-01-2022, 10:44 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Great! So if I can find a Blu/Blk wire somewhere in the rear wiring harness, I should be good?
The information I have looked at in the service manual suggests that it should be that simple but I would confirm the wire (BLU/BLK) if you find it before cutting or splicing. You would need an insulation piercing voltage tester probe tip. There are some other BLU/BLK wires on the car, but none of those should be in the rear harness, as they are associated with seat controls and mirror controls IIRC. If you can't find that color wire that might indicate that the service manual color codes don't match reality. You might have to look at connector "B" on the rear BCM to verify. Getting to the rear BCM requires pulling the driver seat out sliding the seat forward and adjusting seat base to highest position since the modules are below the carpet. Fun, fun, fun.

After more reading, personally for myself, I wouldn't mess with the Rear BCM for fear of creating trouble for myself. Proceed with caution if you plan to go that route.

Last edited by thecajunboy; 08-02-2022 at 12:29 AM. Reason: corrections and additions
Old 08-02-2022, 07:09 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

I’m installing a wireless backup camera, and need help on where to wire it in so that the camera only turns on when reverse is selected. Instructions say to attach to wires to backup light, but I can’t see where to access them I have found a fuse panel in front of the passenger side tail light assembly which seems like a likely power source, but can’t find a fuse diagram that even mentions that unit.

Just a thought. If you are using a wireless solution that uses wi-fi to your phone, as you are parking and going in and out of reverse you will drop out when you leave reverse. Not good. I wired mine into the fog lamp so when I am parking I turn on the fog lights and I don't lose the wireless backing and filling....
Old 08-02-2022, 09:59 AM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good idea! Where did you connect to the fog lamp?
I am installing an Auto-Vox CS-2 Digital Wireless Backup Camera Kit, which includes its own LCD monitor. I previously tried a system that used my iPhone, but found it was unreliable and slow to connect. This unit has a camera which needs a 12 volt power source, ideally near the rear license plate, and has an antenna to communicate with the monitor.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:25 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Good idea! Where did you connect to the fog lamp?
I am installing an Auto-Vox CS-2 Digital Wireless Backup Camera Kit, which includes its own LCD monitor. I previously tried a system that used my iPhone, but found it was unreliable and slow to connect. This unit has a camera which needs a 12 volt power source, ideally near the rear license plate, and has an antenna to communicate with the monitor.
Keep in mind, I did this on my 996.2. By process of elimination observation, I identified which bulb in the tail light assembly was the fog lamp, pulled off the assembly, and spliced the power lead from the camera to the fog lamp power and ground. You will need to identify which is power, and which is ground. But you can identify that by observing which colored wire goes to all the lights. That is usually the ground. There were convenient holes existing in the coach works to feed the wires through. If you do not have a rear fog lamp in the Boxster you can also use the tail lights. The only downside is that the back up camera is powered whenever you have the lights on. Very minor impact.

Last edited by Lady Silver; 08-02-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Wiring Question