Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles are too many….

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 05:42 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DonJuan
60k is low miles to me. My neighbor has 130k tracks his car average 5 times per year no issues. And he’s not diligent with maintenance
nice to hear that…thanks!
Old 01-18-2023, 10:15 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I got a 2016 981C at 27k and 2 years later I'm about to hit 50k. Lots of track days last year and looking for double more this year. Easy to work on too.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:45 AM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Skip, it's KJ from PCA Potomac. It's good to see you virtually! My mom just picked up a 981 CS with PDK and tracked it last year. It was a well prepped track car from another local PCA member. It has been fairly reliable and came with the center radiator (mandatory in my opinion) but not the oil cooler. Apparently the Turbo S oil cooler fits, is larger, but when I last checked it was not available. Talk to your shop about that option. We had to replace the axles (not cheap) but the car lived its life on the track prior to our purchase. I recommend you reach out to any of the folks that race these in GTB as they have a full understanding of the issues these cars see on the track. I could be wrong, but I don't see how spirited twisty road driving can have the same stresses as upper run group track sessions. Overall though, the car has been fairly reliable and is being double stinted by my mother and her significant other. PM me if you have more questions.
-KJ
Old 01-19-2023, 09:46 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey KJ, been a long time and hope all is well with you and your mother. Are you still club racing or just casually ripping up Summit Point? Sebring is fun, but I miss the Potomac group and the fun tracks up there where we have so much track time and laps.

I appreciate the insights and have talked to TPC a bit as well as my local shop has a couple of well sorted 981s, just not club racers, which is where I see this going, don’t think I’m going to get back into club racing, but need to get out of the house and enjoy car weekends.

Skip

Last edited by swftiii; 01-19-2023 at 10:35 PM.