Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little push

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 03:20 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need a little push

Rennlist Friends,

Been looking for a 981 CS for a while now targeting the right options with black interior wrapped in black or white. Will be a track & weekend car and the wife says I have to keep it for a long time, but in the same breath she wants the price to be reasonable. My previous 3 Porsche's have all been black, but haven't been able to find a quality example at a reasonable price.

Found a Midnight Blue variant with the right options, black interior, and where I can get a quality PPI done at a shop that I'm familiar with, but been hesitating to pull the trigger because of the color. What do you guys think about the midnight blue exterior, I know it is personal preference, but just thought I would get some opinions compared to black or white.

Thanks,
-Skip
Old 04-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Black is a second job to keep looking good. Midnight blue is right behind it. This really is a personal decision. No harm in holding out and getting exactly what you want, even if it takes a while.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:23 PM
Randy_B
Racer

Received 522 Likes on 235 Posts

Splash a little color into your life! Color is really subjective though, I get it. Saphire Blue would be a nice shade and easier to care for than black or darker blues if that is a consideration.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:55 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

I have a black Porsche, and I can tell you that my next Porsche will NOT be black.

Really personal preference. I'd love a yellow or orange 997, a lot of people will reel at the thought..
The following users liked this post:
FINZ (04-11-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 08:48 AM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 297 Likes on 106 Posts

since you asked for advice… if you are getting a fun car for weekend/track, get a fun color. I was searching for a CPO blue GT4 back in 2019 and not finding anything… then I found the perfect spec, but it was racing yellow. I had never even considered a yellow car before… like I thought “i’d never drive a yellow car”. but I decided to go for it, and I’ve been so happy. that bright color makes every drive something special. I’d get another yellow car in a second. i even added a bright green car to my garage after that. Night Blue is fine (I prefer gentian and sapphire myself), but since you asked for a push, here’s a shove in the direction of something really different: yellow, orange, red, green, purple! Go for it!
Old 04-08-2023, 11:02 AM
Diamond Dave
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Nothing looks better than a clean black car, that said, as others have mentioned its PIA to keep kleen ! I used to dust my car when I got in and out of it everywhere with a feather duster. White vehicles for me from then on. They look good at night under street lights, in the rain they stand out and even when dirty they still look good !
Old 04-08-2023, 11:54 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

I have black. as most people will agree, absolutely stunning when squeaky clean. Certainly a challenge to keep looking great, but I've accepted and comfortable in my routine and usage. But if I could snap my fingers and turn it into Porsche's Dark Blue Metallic, I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:05 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

This is how my Midnight Blue 987.1 CS looked at 12 years and 80,000 miles. And it was not a garage queen by any stretch.
KBell (04-12-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:31 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

midnight or other dark blues are fantastic on a 981. PS I had a 993 Targa in mb and the color held up really well. I hope your wife approves lol
KBell (04-12-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

IMO the right options regardless of color. Sport Chrono a must for PDK on the track. X73 suspension. Can add to base but not PASM. Third radiator needed especially for PDK. 2015-16 GTS have most options included. PTV is nice but not required. PSE sound is great. All will need adjustable LCAs and/or camber plates for negative camber. Dedicated 18s with track tires. Manually GT4 is the ultimate 981.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:55 PM
CinciOH
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is easy for me.

Grocery getter = silver only, no other color even considered (it could go all winter without a car wash and without looking disgusting)

Fun car = must be in color. White, black and grey do not qualify as colors. My 981 CS is sapphire blue and I couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you.
Randy_B (04-11-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 10:53 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Originally Posted by CinciOH
It is easy for me.

Grocery getter = silver only, no other color even considered (it could go all winter without a car wash and without looking disgusting)

Fun car = must be in color. White, black and grey do not qualify as colors. My 981 CS is sapphire blue and I couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you.
agate grey is very nice and covers dirt a bit.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:18 PM
CinciOH
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ernest72
agate grey is very nice and covers dirt a bit.
That was my opinion only.

I just started reading February Panorama magazine (yeah, I know ...) and there was a long-ish opinion piece from the editor about covering EVs in Panorama after a riot of readers who do not want even the mention of it, especially those with Porsche badge on them.

In my opinion only, grocery-getter (a.k.a. "A to B car") is best when colored silver and powered by electric motor/s only. Loooong distant second powertrain choice would be turbo diesel.

Also in my opinion only, fun car (a.k.a. "A to A car") is best in loud color/saturation and only possible with ICE strictly gasoline without turbochargers, preferably with PSE.

Two completely different tools for two completely different tasks having two completely different sets of parameters.

Just trying to explain why I have that opinion and that has nothing to do with some absolute Truth. But I do agree that in specific light and with right options Agate Grey can look very good. Peace out.

Last edited by CinciOH; 04-12-2023 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-12-2023, 03:34 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Originally Posted by CinciOH
That was my opinion only.

I just started reading February Panorama magazine (yeah, I know ...) and there was a long-ish opinion piece from the editor about covering EVs in Panorama after a riot of readers who do not want even the mention of it, especially those with Porsche badge on them.

In my opinion only, grocery-getter (a.k.a. "A to B car") is best when colored silver and powered by electric motor/s only. Loooong distant second powertrain choice would be turbo diesel.

Also in my opinion only, fun car (a.k.a. "A to A car") is best in loud color/saturation and only possible with ICE strictly gasoline without turbochargers, preferably with PSE.

Two completely different tools for two completely different tasks having two completely different sets of parameters.

Just trying to explain why I have that opinion and that has nothing to do with some absolute Truth. But I do agree that in specific light and with right options Agate Grey can look very good. Peace out.
no problem. I agree about silver. I own two silver Subarus.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:43 PM
Randy_B
Racer

Received 522 Likes on 235 Posts

We have a silver Mazda CX-5 and it looks about the same clean and it does soiled. It's a good color choice for that type of vehicle.

Last edited by Randy_B; 04-12-2023 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a little push