Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thoughts 981 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 12:11 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Build Thoughts 981 Cayman GTS

Hi All - Looking for 981 opinions on a purchase I'm looking at. Would be my first Cayman but have had classic and modern 911's/928's.

It's a 981 GTS - here are some of the options that are important to me and would like thoughts on how other's feel about each.

1. 6SP Manual ! - I have a Macan GTS with PDK and think it's awesome. But, I miss a manual and this seems like the car to get it in.

2. XLS Sport Tailpipe = Positive but not that important as I may do a different exhaust and/or plenum.

3. Sportdesign Wheel - Not sure of the other option. I note since its not PDK, there are no controls on the wheel at all.

4. Leather Interior - Could be an issue. The OB optioned ALL leather with upcharge and deleted ALL Alcantara that came with the GTS. I do like the Alcantara GTS interior better.

5. X220 Torque Vectoring - Positive ++

6. X73 Sport/Lowered Suspension. NOT SURE on this. Many feel the fixed suspension is better but lacking the ability to use PASM to adjust suspension setting seems a Negative. Can you add PASM to an X73 setup ? Thoughts on X73 vs. PASM. I do not plan on tracking and if I did it would be 1-2 times a year.

7. It has base manual leather seats. Can 14way be swapped ?

Any other options I'm not considering.?

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ramp; 05-29-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:39 PM
Ffre92
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same build, except for the leather interior. I do prefer the alcantara over my other cars with leather.

The sport design steering wheel is the better looking option, the multifunction steering wheel doesn’t look so great in the 981. X73 is great. Rides more supple than my 993 with koni. I thought the base sport seats would be annoying, but it’s a nonissue. Feels great, looks great, easy to adjust. Would spec them again
The following users liked this post:
996inthesix (06-01-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks. Do you think the X73 is ok for semi daily driving ? Anything you would change about it ? Any noticeable effect from Torque Vectoring? Manual, non-heated/cooled seats bothers me but not a deal breaker.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:21 PM
Ffre92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ramp
Thanks. Do you think the X73 is ok for semi daily driving ? Anything you would change about it ? Any noticeable effect from Torque Vectoring? Manual, non-heated/cooled seats bothers me but not a deal breaker.
I have used mine as a daily for 7 years, swap out for 18 inch rims for NY winters. X73 is totally fine, firm, but harsh. No complaints from my wife on long trips. As comparison my prior bmw 335xi with runflats was MUCH harsher. I felt like I was going to lose a tooth.

I don’t track my car, and haven’t driven another cayman without PTV, so can’t really comment on how effective it is.

Mine has heated seats, not cooled. The alcantara doesn’t get as hot in the summer, so haven’t missed it.
996inthesix (06-01-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 01:39 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Ffre92
I have used mine as a daily for 7 years, swap out for 18 inch rims for NY winters. X73 is totally fine, firm, but harsh. No complaints from my wife on long trips. As comparison my prior bmw 335xi with runflats was MUCH harsher. I felt like I was going to lose a tooth.

I don’t track my car, and haven’t driven another cayman without PTV, so can’t really comment on how effective it is.

Mine has heated seats, not cooled. The alcantara doesn’t get as hot in the summer, so haven’t missed it.
I'm guessing that you meant to say "firm but NOT harsh" ?

I agree with this. Mine is not a daily at all, but I do love the X73 for roadtrips and backroads driving, and of course the track. It had the standard suspension before I installed the X73, and the X73 is only slightly more stiff in normal street driving.

Maybe I missed it, but have you had a chance to drive it yet? Or is this a remote purchase?
Old 05-29-2023, 02:24 PM
Ffre92
Advanced

Yes, typo. The x73 is definitely not harsh. It rides more comfortably than both my prior 3 series bmw, and one was a sedan!

I posted recently in another thread about how hard it is to find something to upgrade to since the cayman does everything so well, and anything more powerful will have too many compromises for daily driving. Gt4 won’t fit 18 inch wheels, will lose the trunk on 911, will lose the frunk on emira, and probably gamble on reliability too. Not too many 6mt choices out there anymore, glad this one is such a peach
kwikit356 (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 03:24 PM
Cliff3
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 107 Posts

I am guessing this is the agate grey car in Ohio?

It has the manual sport seats plus and not the base sport seats. The sport seats plus have more pronounced bolstering than the regular sport seats. The 18-way seats would be the powered/memory version of these seats. I have absolutely no idea if such an upgrade is feasible. If this is indeed the Ohio car then the exhaust upgrade probably replaced the black tipped stock sport exhaust with silver tips. Hopefully the remainder of the exhaust system is the regular GTS exhaust, which sounds delicious and needs no modification. The combination of 6MT, PTV, and X73 is uncommon.

Fwiw, my GTS is specified with 6MT, X73, PTV, the 18-way seats, navigation, and cosmetic stuff like the GTS interior package. I have not modified the car beyond going with 19" wheels with 200tw tires, pads, rotors and fluid for the brakes, and surgery on the radio to install a card that supports Carplay/Android Auto. I have done a couple of dozen HPDE days in the car since buying it 2 years ago, and a couple of 1500 mile road trips. This car is fantastic.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:52 PM
Van914
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2015 GTS with 6sp and X73. It’s a wonderful machine.
X73 is not too harsh. Get it you will love it!
Old 05-30-2023, 02:40 AM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi All - Looking for 981 opinions on a purchase I'm looking at. Would be my first Cayman but have had classic and modern 911's/928's.

It's a 981 GTS - here are some of the options that are important to me and would like thoughts on how other's feel about each.

1. 6SP Manual ! - I have a Macan GTS with PDK and think it's awesome. But, I miss a manual and this seems like the car to get it in.

2. XLS Sport Tailpipe = Positive but not that important as I may do a different exhaust and/or plenum.

3. Sportdesign Wheel - Not sure of the other option. I note since its not PDK, there are no controls on the wheel at all.

4. Leather Interior - Could be an issue. The OB optioned ALL leather with upcharge and deleted ALL Alcantara that came with the GTS. I do like the Alcantara GTS interior better.

5. X220 Torque Vectoring - Positive ++

6. X73 Sport/Lowered Suspension. NOT SURE on this. Many feel the fixed suspension is better but lacking the ability to use PASM to adjust suspension setting seems a Negative. Can you add PASM to an X73 setup ? Thoughts on X73 vs. PASM. I do not plan on tracking and if I did it would be 1-2 times a year.

7. It has base manual leather seats. Can 14way be swapped ?

Any other options I'm not considering.?

1. Love the manual gearbox in Porsches. They are great. I love it, and I repeat. It's great!

2, 3, 4, 5: personal thing. None is dealbreaker if you don't like

6: PASM vs X73. The X73 will feel stiffer. The PASM just allows you to program if you are willing to swap out the "brain" to an aftermarket one. Personally I love PASM with the aftermarket software/module. I have always felt the factory one is a little lazy. That said, X73 is also very good. The only thing is PASM isn't really easy to retrofit. You could check out whether DSC offers standalone kit for 981. It just won't be cheap as you need to get the DSC computer/module on top of the dampers from Bilstein or from another place. The active dampers do cost more than standard passive dampers. So that's something to consider

7: Seats, think that works
Old 05-30-2023, 08:32 AM
Ramp
Pro

Great comments, thanks all. Don't want to publicize but yes, considering the Ohio car. It does have a minor accident listed but it was back in '16 and was likely a front bumper cosmetic issue but will have it checked if I move forward.
@Cliff3 - That's the build I really want - that keeps the GTS interior rather then all leather but I could probably fix part of that with some minor changes.

Now that it's in the open, anyone have any thoughts on this car ?
Old 05-30-2023, 10:08 AM
Cliff3
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 107 Posts

Great comments, thanks all. Don't want to publicize but yes, considering the Ohio car. It does have a minor accident listed but it was back in '16 and was likely a front bumper cosmetic issue but will have it checked if I move forward.
@Cliff3 - That's the build I really want - that keeps the GTS interior rather then all leather but I could probably fix part of that with some minor changes.

Now that it's in the open, anyone have any thoughts on this car ?
It's a desirable exterior color, and the combination of 6MT, X73, and PTV is hard to find. There is nothing wrong with the interior and trying to change it would devalue the car. I would enjoy this car the way it is. If the alcantara interior is a must have for you, then keep looking for a car that has it.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:12 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

I would have liked to get PASM on my GTS, but I was more interested in the right color, transmission, etc. That said, X73 is still significantly more comfortable than the stock suspension on my old M2 Competition.

Also consider that we’re talking about an early generation of adaptive suspension that uses physical valves. It’s not like GM’s 4th gen magnetic dampers that changes the viscosity of the fluid.

If you did a blindfolded test on a passenger with PASM on and off would they even notice the difference?

Last edited by DriverDaily; 05-30-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:48 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts

I've found that the DCS controller is a nice upgrade to PASM.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:59 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 222 Posts

I went from base suspension to x73 and although its certainly a noticeable increase in firmness. The handling and appearance (reduced tire/fender gap) is worth it. I wouldn't call it harsh. But expect firm sports car handling.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:34 PM
spnsprt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My CGTS has X73 and i just want to echo the folks saying it's not too harsh.it's definitely softer than my old M3 on TCKline coils which I always felt unsettled the car on some curbs at HPDEs. The Cayman just eats them up.

I haven't driven a PASM 981 in a long time though so I can't really compare.

Quick Reply: Build Thoughts 981 Cayman GTS