Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Sealant option: OEM $29

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 09:06 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Tire Sealant option: OEM $29

I am the second owner of a 981 GTS and it and was delivered with the tire sealant missing.. I actually had a serious leak, about five psi, each 10 minutes.. I had a can of "Fix a Flat", but it didn't have enough pressure to move the sealant into the tire, I limped home and replaced the tire. Now I understand why the Porsche system uses the auxiliary air pump to move the liquid into the tire, you need some pressure... I looked at replacing the original can across a few dealers and it was around 120 USD for the Porsche part. Audi and BMW also use a similar sealant on some of their cars and they were a little less expensive... I researched a bit and found the company that made them & I found that they market them under a couple of different sizes and names.. Most of them sold in the EU, but looks like they have set up a US Amazon distro.

You can
replace the sealant with the 450ml size for $29 replace the sealant with the 450ml size for $29
, even has a better hose.

No affiliation, etc..

Coleman.

Last edited by Coleman; 12-07-2023 at 09:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coleman:
BigBob (12-06-2023), FINZ (12-07-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 12:32 PM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Edit : ignore, wrong thread
Old 12-07-2023, 09:19 AM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

Link doesn’t work - at least for me. Takes me to a general Amazon landing page with my browsing history.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:57 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Try the link now, I think it had the reference info initially in it. Now it just has:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-07-2023, 11:11 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 628 Posts

You'd really use that? Seriously? Perhaps if your physical condition won't allow you to use a plug, you could use sealant in an emergency, but I'd never use that stuff. It makes a mess of the wheel, creates balance problems, and is only a temporary fix.

A simple plug kit like this is way better and avoids all those issues with sealant.

Amazon Amazon

I've plugged easily 20 tires over the years.
The following users liked this post:
981KMAN (12-10-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I agree, the sealant is for extreme cases, Porsche puts it in the frunk, it'll get you to where you need to be (maybe) .. I had a leaking nail right on the edge of the sidewall... I needed to get back home and buy a new tire, it was just too close to the sidewall for the plug to seal from behind like a proper plug.. I do have a kit like you put in the link, and that would've got me home as well.. But I didn't have it with me... Even if I did have it with me, there are a lot of cases where you need a Jack to access the area to install it, so I think they went to the can solution.. I was stranded and I was wishing I had a can of sealant.. But even , after I got home and plugged it with the standard plug (like your link), I didn't feel comfortable using that as a permanent solution. They were Pilot sport 4S N0, and almost brand new... but after some soul-searching, even though I was relatively sure that I wouldn't have any problems with the plug, I bought a new tire... I like to push the car, and having plugs as a long-term solution is not my first choice on the 981 GTS or my 993. Maybe a pickup truck or something would be OK.. If I ever had some blow out or loss of control from the plug failing at the wrong time because I wanted to save money... It wasn't worth the risk. Plus, I got the tires from Tire Rack and it had Hazard insurance free!
Old 12-07-2023, 12:30 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I've plugged sidewalls. I'd certainly do it again. Plugs work great in sidewalls in an emergency. A sidewall plug would obviously only be a short-term fix to get you home. But again, I honestly cannot think of any situation where I'd use sealant instead of a plug. Ok, maybe if it was raining, and the ground was muddy and I could use sealant without having to lay on the ground like I would to insert a plug. No, actually not even then. I carry a tarp, blanket, and gloves. I've used plugs in sidewalls twice (just to get me home!) and I'm still alive. I'd use a plug in virtually every situation where sealant could also be used. I'd use a plug even if I had a spare tire, because plugs are so easy and effective, and changing a tire on the side of the road is not easy or safe.

But sorry, I can't answer your question. I'd honestly never use sealant. Everyone has different fears and concerns, so no criticism. Some people would say I'm nuts for ever using a plug for any situation, and should be arrested for plugging a sidewall. :-) To each his own.

Actually, come to think of it. I did use sealant once. My lawnmower has had a slow leak for a couple of years (it would go flat every couple of months). I could never find the leak, and I had a 10 year old bottle of Slime in my work bench. I used it, and it's been fine ever since. So, yeah, it works great on my mower, but I'd never use it on a car.

Now, 27 people will tell you to ignore everything I said above....

I thought this was pretty good!
https://artsautomotive.com/home/art-...us/tire-plugs/

Last edited by Denny Swift; 12-07-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:47 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

The smart money is on carrying both plugs and sealant in a car without run flats or a spare (and also needle-nose pliers to pull out anything stuck in the tire, while I'm thinking about it). I'd typically start with a plug since in many cases that's a permanent repair, but I'd always want to have sealant as a backup (like if access were an issue or the plug couldn't seal the damage: suspenders and a belt, ya know). When the Porsche bottle got old I just replaced it in the kit with a bottle of Slime.

Not sure why you're so worried about sealant, Denny. It's not going to damage anything: it'll get you to a repair shop and then they can just clean it out when they do the repair. Also not everyone is going to plug a tire on the side of the road: sealant and an inflator are a lot cleaner and easier to use, especially for someone with limited strength. Heck, if it's muddy enough I'm starting with the Slime!
Old 12-07-2023, 01:18 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Do whatever you're comfortable with.

Would likely ruin your TPMS unit too.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:54 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

If it gets me home in an emergency I don't care how messy it is in the tire, lol. And watching that video I'm like "FFS, dude: just take it out back and hose it off!" Water and some rags: he could've cleaned everything out faster than it took him to make that video complaining about how messy it is.

Like I said, personally I'd try a plug first, but that isn't always feasible and not everyone can do it. Using Slime and maybe paying a few extra bucks to have it cleaned out of the rim sure beats a tow, especially if you're out in the boonies somewhere.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:51 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 623 Likes on 316 Posts

The "Slime" or liquid sealant will damage your TPMS, and those are about $75+ each. So cleaning your tire after using the Slime is not easy and can be expensive.

I have an emergency Plug Kit in each car, that includes the following;Everything fits in the small pouch and is stored in the car, so I have it when needed. It has saved me in the past, and never damages my TPMS sensors.

I would recommend against using the liquid slime, Porsche supplied or aftermarket.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:00 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
The "Slime" or liquid sealant will damage your TPMS, and those are about $75+ each.
It won't if you buy the right stuff with the "tire sensor safe" label. And even if it did, if it gets me home in an emergency replacing a TPMS isn't a big deal.

Anyway plugs are good but a smart man carries both in a car with no spare.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:06 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 623 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
It won't if you buy the right stuff with the "tire sensor safe" label. And even if it did, if it gets me home in an emergency replacing a TPMS isn't a big deal.

Anyway plugs are good but a smart man carries both in a car with no spare.
The experience of our local PCA club member(s) say that stuff does in fact damage a Porsche TPMS Sensor. And cost him over $240 to clean the rim and replace the TPMS Sensor, so I believe his experience and choose to use the Plug Method. Yes, I agree that you should carry both, and have the Slime for emergency cases when a Plug is not effective or the nail/hole can not be reached. Then you can decide which way is less expensive, yet know that if you use the Slime, you will be buying a new TPMS sensor.....

Quick Reply: Tire Sealant option: OEM $29