Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is drop link a one time use bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 11:57 AM
DJ99
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is drop link a one time use bolt?

Is the rear drop link bolt that acts as a pinch bolt for the shock a one time use bolt? Part number 3 in picture.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:52 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I don’t know if it’s a single use bolt or not, but PET indicates it’s part of the drop link.

If #2 is, then it makes sense that #3 is also.

Where do you find info on what is single use or not?

Last edited by DER951; 03-11-2024 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added
Old 03-11-2024, 03:32 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The service manual might list them (and the pinch bolt) as "should be replaced" or whatever. And if replacing them makes you feel more comfortable then by all means do it. But none of that hardware is actually single use.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:30 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by dps214
And if replacing them makes you feel more comfortable then by all means do it. But none of that hardware is actually single use.
Pretty much. The only fasteners that definitely need to be replaced are ones that are torque-to-yield, and those are pretty rare.

I suspect (but cannot prove) that Porsche just tells you to replace any bolt that requires threadlock. A lot of the bolts come with a pre-applied blue threadlock patch on them: it's a way to ensure that the threadlock can't be forgotten in manufacture or repair. So they specify to use new bolts to ensure that the threadlock is always fresh and present. In reality those patches can be used multiple times, or you can just add a dab of fresh threadlock. So I think this is just a CYA thing in the manual.
The following users liked this post:
TMc993 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 04:48 PM
dps214
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Pretty much. The only fasteners that definitely need to be replaced are ones that are torque-to-yield, and those are pretty rare.

I suspect (but cannot prove) that Porsche just tells you to replace any bolt that requires threadlock. A lot of the bolts come with a pre-applied blue threadlock patch on them: it's a way to ensure that the threadlock can't be forgotten in manufacture or repair. So they specify to use new bolts to ensure that the threadlock is always fresh and present. In reality those patches can be used multiple times, or you can just add a dab of fresh threadlock. So I think this is just a CYA thing in the manual.
I'd guess it's most anything safety critical. Ie if those two bolts did somehow fail it's going to be a bad time. Basically zero chance of that happening but "requiring" replacement fully absolves porsche of any potential liability.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:56 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

You can reuse it. The bolt is attached to the link. I bought new links so I have a new bolt attached to it and a new nut. But I would have had no issue using the old one. I just put new when I installed my X73. Links are not expensive.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:44 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Technical Values in the service manual do not have any replacement information for the nut. "Replace Following Removal" appears to be the normal text in the tech values when new fasteners are required. Here's the information for that fastener.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:34 PM
marques
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ99
Is the rear drop link bolt that acts as a pinch bolt for the shock a one time use bolt? Part number 3 in picture.
That's not a bolt. Or at least not in the traditional sense. It's part of the ball joint for the sway bay link. I don't think sway bar links are one-time use items. Sometimes things get lost in translation when crossing the Atlantic ocean. Europeans often say "replace" when they mean "put it back where it was", Here in the USA we hear "replace" and think "throw away in the trash and put a new one in".
Old 03-14-2024, 04:50 PM
DJ99
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Technical Values in the service manual do not have any replacement information for the nut. "Replace Following Removal" appears to be the normal text in the tech values when new fasteners are required. Here's the information for that fastener.

These torque specs are why I was thinking it is a one time use bolt. Anything that has an initial torque setting then an final tightening in degrees, is usually considered "Torque to yield", which means you need to replace it after removal.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:40 PM
dps214
Instructor

TTY bolts do use torque plus angle specs but that's not exclusive. That style of torque spec is pretty common now because it creates more consistent results than a higher static torque value. Note that the other end of the link also uses that style of torque spec, 30ftlbs plus 30*, which experimentally works out to about 60ftlbs which is pretty much exactly the "standard" torque spec for an M10 fastener.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:45 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ99
These torque specs are why I was thinking it is a one time use bolt. Anything that has an initial torque setting then an final tightening in degrees, is usually considered "Torque to yield", which means you need to replace it after removal.
If you have a copy of the factory service manual, do a search for "use new", and you'll see all the fasteners that have recommended replacement in the Technical Values tables and text.

Quick Reply: Is drop link a one time use bolt?