Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good full service wheel powder coating in Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 11:47 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Good full service wheel powder coating in Los Angeles

I wanted to powder coat my wheels and am looking for a full service shop which I can drop off the car and pick it up after the job is done. Most of the places just do the powder coating but I am looking for a shop which takes off the wheels, does the powder coating, balances the wheels and install them back. Any recommendations for the Los Angeles/burbank/Pasadena area?
Old 04-16-2024, 11:13 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

I used Cal Chrome in Valencia a few years ago with my XJR. They disassembled the wheels, stripped the chrome, power coated everything, reassembled, and balanced them. They actually have a service where they come to you with a loaner set of wheels while they haul away your set so it's really convenient. Cost was around $2k but it'll be less for single-piece wheels.

Original condition

Before & After

Power coated

Old 04-17-2024, 01:05 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I used Cal Chrome in Valencia a few years ago with my XJR. They disassembled the wheels, stripped the chrome, power coated everything, reassembled, and balanced them. They actually have a service where they come to you with a loaner set of wheels while they haul away your set so it's really convenient. Cost was around $2k but it'll be less for single-piece wheels.

Original condition

Before & After

Power coated
That sounds great but the price is very high. Most places which do just coating charge around 600 bucks. I was hoping they would charge maybe 2-300 for all the rest. For 2k I can get a set of fully refurbished new set of wheels. In the same time I have to admit your wheels look super nice and I can imagine was very work intense to clean, sand and powder coat those.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:20 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it was higher because @kiznarsh had them strip the chrome plating off the wheels before powder coating.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:40 PM
SnowmanMafia
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
That sounds great but the price is very high. Most places which do just coating charge around 600 bucks. I was hoping they would charge maybe 2-300 for all the rest. For 2k I can get a set of fully refurbished new set of wheels. In the same time I have to admit your wheels look super nice and I can imagine was very work intense to clean, sand and powder coat those.
I think getting this done under 1k is a steep ask. I'm in Denver and used a shop like you're looking for when I had my wheels done.

Dropped the car off and they removed the tires, stripped the wheels in an acid bath, applied my powder color choice and then a clear powder, and ceramic coated them for 1600.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:10 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Richards
I think it was higher because @kiznarsh had them strip the chrome plating off the wheels before powder coating.
Correct, removing the chrome and disassembly/reassembly adds cost but I also don’t think the OP is gonna get powder coating for under $1k, especially when asking shops to balance the wheels.

Shoot ‘em an email with pics and get a quote.
The following users liked this post:
john981 (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Good full service wheel powder coating in Los Angeles