Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

...as requested - more pics. Sorry for the dirty car. Won't be washing it until I return to ATL.
Attached Images          
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lewis,

Great Car! I am about to place an order and I am waffling on brakes. Not really a fair comparison, but how do you find the brake feel vs. your GT3? Would you go to PCCB if you had the option?

As follow up on the steering issue, you can read all the details for yourself in the 991 forum, but basically the electric steering introduces a DC motor and belt drive in place of the hydraulic assist. The rack and column are still there (no by wire steering), but the rack can only move when the DC motor turns (my read). The motor senses the input from the driver and reacts to provide assistance in a similar way to the hydraulics. But its all done via sensors and software rather than hydraulic pressure and relief valves. So the programming is the key to balance effort vs. feel.

Best,

Mike
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice pick up!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks awesome.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
Lewis,

Great Car! I am about to place an order and I am waffling on brakes. Not really a fair comparison, but how do you find the brake feel vs. your GT3? Would you go to PCCB if you had the option?

As follow up on the steering issue, you can read all the details for yourself in the 991 forum, but basically the electric steering introduces a DC motor and belt drive in place of the hydraulic assist. The rack and column are still there (no by wire steering), but the rack can only move when the DC motor turns (my read). The motor senses the input from the driver and reacts to provide assistance in a similar way to the hydraulics. But its all done via sensors and software rather than hydraulic pressure and relief valves. So the programming is the key to balance effort vs. feel.

Best,

Mike
If you NEVER plan on tracking the car and have an extra 10 grand laying around, get the PCCB's as the rotors will last a very long time. Personally, I don't think the PCCB's are worth the price. The normal sport brakes are awesome and do more than an adequate job in stopping the car in all conditions.

Thanks for the comments on the steering.
Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Nice pick up!
Originally Posted by zirrah
It looks awesome.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
...as requested - more pics. Sorry for the dirty car. Won't be washing it until I return to ATL.
SUPER nice color combo Lewis but I guess I'm partial. Now my BIG question for you on changing from your 2010 GT3 to your 981 is HOW DOES IT DRIVE? The GT3 is a passionate emotive car. What about this beauty? Does it growl and make you grin?

Love my TT but always looking...

Joel
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
Lewis,

Best,

Mike
Hey Mike - I went from having PCCB's in my C2S to 'regular' Turbos on my TT. Honestly? I miss the PCCBs. They have IMMENSE stopping power. It's not that the Turbos don't stop well - they do. Are PCCB's worth the extra 8K? Debatable but we're not talking about super totalitarian cars here, are we!
Maybe's it's the nice YELLOW cailpers that I love on silver, white cars with dark interiors. Cool look.

If I order a 981 it will probalby be White / Silver over Blue interior with PCCBs
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
SUPER nice color combo Lewis but I guess I'm partial. Now my BIG question for you on changing from your 2010 GT3 to your 981 is HOW DOES IT DRIVE? The GT3 is a passionate emotive car. What about this beauty? Does it growl and make you grin?

Love my TT but always looking...

Joel
I promised myself that I wouldn't compare this car to the GT3 and I don't think anyone should even try. They are very different cars tuned for very different purposes.

The 981 is a wonderful sports car that is very at home on the street and can be a competent track car. The GT3, IMHO, has no business driving around town. It is, however, the absolute best car you will ever drive FLAT OUT. Nothing comes close and the GT3 is the ultimate driving experience. Its a California Cab. The 981 is a fine aged Burgundy

I will own another GT3(RS)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
I promised myself that I wouldn't compare this car to the GT3 and I don't think anyone should even try. They are very different cars tuned for very different purposes.

The 981 is a wonderful sports car that is very at home on the street and can be a competent track car. The GT3, IMHO, has no business driving around town. It is, however, the absolute best car you will ever drive FLAT OUT. Nothing comes close and the GT3 is the ultimate driving experience. Its a California Cab. The 981 is a fine aged Burgundy

I will own another GT3(RS)
Great analogy. I drove a buddy's .2 GT3 RS and whoa - what a GREAT car! But loved getting back into my TT cab as well. Oh to have a big garage...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Great analogy. I drove a buddy's .2 GT3 RS and whoa - what a GREAT car! But loved getting back into my TT cab as well. Oh to have a big garage...
I truly believe that you have the best road car out there. Porsche has really refined the TT to make it a wonderful DD. Can't wait to see what is store for us with the 991 TT
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Mike - I went from having PCCB's in my C2S to 'regular' Turbos on my TT. Honestly? I miss the PCCBs. They have IMMENSE stopping power.
From what I heard, PCCBs do not give you more stopping power. I've been also told that this is a common misconception.

What PCCBs do give you is fade resistance. You can pound out hot lap after hot lap without having to worry about brake fade (within reason, of course), and that's where PCCBs shine. The irony is that you do NOT want PCCBs if you're going to track... While the rotors may last "forever" on the streets, you'll quickly eat through them on the track and they're mighty expensive.

If what I've heard (from multiple people) is true, then I suspect that your impression may be A) placebo effect, or B) due to the heavy weight of TT. Remember that TT is a pretty heavy car and it takes more force to slow it down.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
From what I heard, PCCBs do not give you more stopping power. I've been also told that this is a common misconception.

What PCCBs do give you is fade resistance. You can pound out hot lap after hot lap without having to worry about brake fade (within reason, of course), and that's where PCCBs shine. The irony is that you do NOT want PCCBs if you're going to track... While the rotors may last "forever" on the streets, you'll quickly eat through them on the track and they're mighty expensive.

If what I've heard (from multiple people) is true, then I suspect that your impression may be A) placebo effect, or B) due to the heavy weight of TT. Remember that TT is a pretty heavy car and it takes more force to slow it down.
Vet hit it on the nose. I agree with everything he said. Fade resistance is what PCCBs are good for. PCCBs leave much to be desired for track use. Very costly to replace (TEN times more). You have to stick with stock P40 pads, and the bite just pales in comparision to track compound pads that the steel guys can run. You'll never experience fade with PCCB, but your stopping power actually sucks when compared to a guy running track pads on steels.

I have officially decided to throw in the towel on my PCCBs. After only 5 track days, they are showing very early signs of wear. I'm converting to steels so I can run track pads. I'm saving the PCCBs rotors for the day that I retire the spyder from the track.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on fade ressistance

But, everything I've seen says that PCCBs outlast iron rotors (with the same use - street or track), but that doesn't help with the value proposition.

The only way I can imagine improved 'stopping power' from PCCBs is if the lower unsprung weight allows better tire contact with a rough road/track.

Joe,
Please don't forget to let us know if the swapped rotors/pads gives a firm(er) pedal, or if there's no change. The setup you're going to will use the PCCB calipers, right?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
+1 on fade ressistance

But, everything I've seen says that PCCBs outlast iron rotors (with the same use - street or track), but that doesn't help with the value proposition.

The only way I can imagine improved 'stopping power' from PCCBs is if the lower unsprung weight allows better tire contact with a rough road/track.

Joe,
Please don't forget to let us know if the swapped rotors/pads gives a firm(er) pedal, or if there's no change. The setup you're going to will use the PCCB calipers, right?
Of course I will. That's the first thing I'm going to look at. You know me well enough.

Yes, still using the original PCCB calipers.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Of course I will. That's the first thing I'm going to look at. You know me well enough.

Yes, still using the original PCCB calipers.
I know you'd let me know. I'm just bringing up the brake pedal for khooni.

Quick Reply: Got it!