Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 05:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taibo
i see a lot of post where posters say the roof is not purely functional and therefore a compromise to the purpose built intent of the new spyder. don't the flaps help to stabilize the top allowing it to survive at 180mph?

also w the streamliners, you can't have a roof that stows in the same way as on a standard 981. so between having a roof at all, stowing it, and allowing for full speed operation with a roof on, i'd categorize the new roof as an engineering triumph!

or have i been duped by clever porsche marketing?
If you look at the 991 Targa, I think it's fair to assume that if Porsche really wanted the Spyder roof to stow in a more conventional Boxster-style manner, and inspite of the sreamliners, it could have been done. But it wouldn't be in-keeping with the Spyder ethos, and would doubtless add very significantly to the price and complexity of engineering, and for a very niche model at that.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
The only thing I don't get is the roof. I can't get the thingy's on the wings to go in unless I get frustrated and pound them in in frustration. Other than that, the car is a revelation.
Push them with your finger like this, and they will snap in predictably.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past two decades I've owned an F40, 2 16M's, 3 CGTs, a bunch of Fiat's an unccountable number of turbo porsche's, a flock of BMW M cars and a lot of NA Porsche's.

Aside from the 16M's, the Boxster Spyder is the funnest car I've had of all of them.

The only thing I don't get is the roof. I can't get the thingy's on the wings to go in unless I get frustrated and pound them in in frustration. Other than that, the car is a revelation.
i found mark's posts in his orig thread... https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...porsche-7.html... explaining the procedure for fastening the wings.... starts on post #95.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:22 AM
AUDIRS6
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if the top will be able to survive snow on top of it during the winter? Anyone here have a spyder and does not have a garage?
Old 12-21-2015, 02:31 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

In the past two decades I've owned an F40, 2 16M's, 3 CGTs, a bunch of Fiat's an unccountable number of turbo porsche's, a flock of BMW M cars and a lot of NA Porsche's.

Aside from the 16M's, the Boxster Spyder is the funnest car I've had of all of them.

You should start an entire thread dedicated to your previous cars. Your collection is notable not just in absolute terms, but in the curious repetition of some truly unique cars like the CGT.. If you're so inclined to start one and explain how each came about, and what you remember/treasured of each car, you would undoubtedly have all of Rennlist's attention.

And back on topic.. That's really great news for the rest of us who might have only once car, that he Spyder stands up to such stout comparison.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:47 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIRS6
Does anyone know if the top will be able to survive snow on top of it during the winter? Anyone here have a spyder and does not have a garage?
I think those questions just made a lot of people cringe

I think the top can handle snow - maybe not 2-3' of it.

I am running out of car porch space... does the S2000 go out or the Spyder? that will be my dilemna soon.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 540 Posts

i drove my S2000 for one winter in pittsburgh. Actually with studded snow tires it did well. Don't remember having any issues with roof and snow.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 600 Posts

What I want to know is...did you own or drive a 987-2 Spyder?

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Questions