Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panorama Spyder 987.2 and 981 comparisons...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Panorama Spyder 987.2 and 981 comparisons...

Just reading Panorama's latest issue with a beautiful 981 Spyder on the cover. Stunning and oh what a car. No question. But I left the world of an uber-powered 08 TT cab for the simplicity and magic of a 987.2 Spyder and I love what Pete Stout, the author of the Pano article, summates with:

"It's (981 Spyder) a truly superb sports car, one that feels like the sum of its (great) parts. But it's missing the magic and purity that made the original (987.2 Spyder) issue far, far more that the sum of its parts."

I post this in honor of the .2 987 Spyder for what it is - a magical and pure sports car that is more than the sum of it's parts.

I see them for sale. Snap 'em up boys. I believe, over time, they will head into the collector bucket of cars.

P.s. He even refers to the .2's two-piece top as the "piece de resistance" and so true that is!

P.s. The shot below that shows tire burn marks on the payments is purely coincidental but it looks kind of cool!
Name:  IMG_0239.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  386.8 KB
Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I am happy you love your car.

I disagree.

There is no replacement for displacement.

The 6 piston brakes will eject your passenger if they aren't strapped in.

The shifter and gearbox are absolutely amazing.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM
croctor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"It's (981 Spyder) a truly superb sports car, one that feels like the sum of its (great) parts. But it's missing the magic and purity that made the original (987.2 Spyder) issue far, far more that the sum of its parts."

Well, we definitely know now that the people at Panorama are not enamored by the new Spyder. The latest editorial and the earlier review both less than flattering.

"Remember that all is opinion" -Marcus Aurelius
Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking as another who has owned both...

They are both special cars.

The 987 Spyder does not live in the shadow of the 981 Spyder or vice versa. The former is, I agree, more than the sum of its parts. It is a happy, happiness-inducing car. It is special, pure, lovely and characterful. It is a delight to drive and is purposeful without being aggressive. Driving it makes its driver feel good. Really good. It is a true Porsche gem.

The 981Spyder is, I also agree, 'just' the sum of its parts. But what parts they are! It is more exciting, faster and the exhaust sounds so good it should be illegal. It is intoxicating and addictive. It is a powerful, thoroughbred racehorse, where its predecessor is a bareback-ridden colt. It makes its driver feel borderline ecstatic.

They are two sides of the same coin. As similar as they are different, and as different as they are similar.

Each is the sort of special, Goldilocks Zone Porsche that will fascinate and engage enthusiasts for many years to come. They will provide the spark and the fuel for arguments ad infinitum, but the distilled truth is that both are magic and something to celebrate.
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Also, those of us who have been around the Porsche scene for a while know that the models that become the classics and the ones most sought after as time goes by are generally less appreciated - or even criticised - early on.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

They are both stunning cars and there is enough for us to go round

Last of a breed of truly magnificant NA flatsixes from the P company
Old 02-02-2016, 02:48 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

(Just delaying making dinner here...)

There will inevitably be those who prefer one and those who prefer the other.

Plus the (probably much larger) camp that don't understand either Spyder and find the whole idea to be wrong-headed (shades of 911s, there).

Personally, when asked which I prefer, or which I think is better, I shall answer simply "Both".
Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM
croctor
Intermediate

John, you described this far more eloquently than I could ever hope to.
Enjoy your Spyders!
Cheers
Croctor
Old 02-02-2016, 09:00 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Both seem destined to be classics in their own unique way.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Speaking as another who has owned both... They are both special cars. The 987 Spyder does not live in the shadow of the 981 Spyder or vice versa. The former is, I agree, more than the sum of its parts. It is a happy, happiness-inducing car. It is special, pure, lovely and characterful. It is a delight to drive and is purposeful without being aggressive. Driving it makes its driver feel good. Really good. It is a true Porsche gem. The 981Spyder is, I also agree, 'just' the sum of its parts. But what parts they are! It is more exciting, faster and the exhaust sounds so good it should be illegal. It is intoxicating and addictive. It is a powerful, thoroughbred racehorse, where its predecessor is a bareback-ridden colt. It makes its driver feel borderline ecstatic. They are two sides of the same coin. As similar as they are different, and as different as they are similar. Each is the sort of special, Goldilocks Zone Porsche that will fascinate and engage enthusiasts for many years to come. They will provide the spark and the fuel for arguments ad infinitum, but the distilled truth is that both are magic and something to celebrate.
Now that was eloquent. Wonderfully stated.

I'll throw a wrench in it though: 987.2 Spyder + 3.8L powerkit transplant = perfection
Old 02-03-2016, 03:06 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

It's interesting all of this. John B - thanks for a very eloquent summation. Beautifully said. The intent of my original post was not to pit one against the other but to draw some much waned attention back onto the 987.2 Spyder. Most of us owners secretly thought there would be no further iteration of the Spyder line and when the new one was announced I think our hearts skipped a beat. How could it get any better than the gen-1 Spyder? Well PAG was listening and watching what people wanted and in the shadow of the GT4, released the gen-2 Spyder. And how good is it? All reports indicate very very good and better in many ways. So all this being said, it's just nice to hear that the gen-1 Spyder is still receiving a few much appreciated accolades. And to all those of us fortunate to have the gen-2? Enjoy the heck out of it. It's an awesome car.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

From my own point of view, I can say without hesitation that of all the wonderful cars I have owned or driven (and having owned 911s for around twenty years), the one singular example which I look back on and think "Damn, I wish I still owned that!" is my 987 Spyder.

That car broke the mould. It was a daring - almost reckless - pioneer. It was inconvenient and free-spirited in a world of convenience and conformity. It was running naked into the surf on a balmy morning on a tropical island. It was two-fingers up to the rule book. It was laughing at the prospect of getting wet. It was just stupidly wonderful.

One little personal tale...

A really good (female) friend visited us soon after we bought that car.

It was a dubious-looking day weatherwise, but I took her out in it - roofless - just for twenty minutes or so. It was fun. How often, nowadays, do grown ups with their adult cares and responsibilities have the chance to have simple, guilt-free, laugh-outloud fun?

Anyway, after a while I turned for home.

"No," she pleaded, "Just a few more minutes!"

"But it's going to rain," I warned, "And it takes a while to put the roof on..."

"No!"

"Well okay, but don't say you weren't warned."

So we carried on driving.

Then, without warning, the heavens opened. It was a deluge!

By the time I could pull over and put on the roof she looked like a drowned rat! I mean, really, she looked liked someone had tipped a bath of water right on top of her! I could not stop myself from (briefly!) laughing (while fretting about my alcantara). But she was not a happy bunny; ruined hair, soaked clothes, and about to go home and have to explain to her family why a 'quick visit to John and Paula' had seemingly resulted in total submersion.

She was so angry - and such a mess - that she would not even come in to dry off or say goodbye to Paula. She just drove straight home, scowling.

And yet - weeks later - she told me that that afternoon was one of the best, stupidest and happiest things she had ever done in her entire life and a memory she would smile at forever. Getting stupidly wet in an open Porsche while some pillock faffed about uselessly with bits of canvas, only to be laughed at in her distress while he mopped the upholstery... priceless.

Great car. Great memories.

And now back to our regular programme.

:-)

Edit: You can tell I used to be paid per word!

The new Spyder is, I would say, better in every measurable way than the previous one. Which is great, but how many of life's most wonderful things are measurable? ;-)

Pictures not relevant to story; I just like them.
Attached Images   
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I just purchased the new one.. I only have 200 miles in it. If the old one was better than this one, I can scarcely believe how amazing it must have been. This machine is a dream come true.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM
981spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It's interesting all of this. John B - thanks for a very eloquent summation. Beautifully said. The intent of my original post was not to pit one against the other but to draw some much waned attention back onto the 987.2 Spyder. Most of us owners secretly thought there would be no further iteration of the Spyder line and when the new one was announced I think our hearts skipped a beat. How could it get any better than the gen-1 Spyder? Well PAG was listening and watching what people wanted and in the shadow of the GT4, released the gen-2 Spyder. And how good is it? All reports indicate very very good and better in many ways. So all this being said, it's just nice to hear that the gen-1 Spyder is still receiving a few much appreciated accolades. And to all those of us fortunate to have the gen-2? Enjoy the heck out of it. It's an awesome car.
This one of the draw backs of a forum, if we all have a get together and meet in person, we would all be saying really nice things about each others cars :-),, either way enjoy whatever car.

Last edited by 981spyder; 02-03-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Panorama Spyder 987.2 and 981 comparisons...