Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the 981 Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 394 Posts

I'm going to the unveiling here tonight.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new model in the metal, but so far I have not seen anything that would make me 'upgrade' from the Cayman R.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I'm going to the unveiling here tonight.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new model in the metal, but so far I have not seen anything that would make me 'upgrade' from the Cayman R.
Tomorrow for me, but +1 to the sentiment.
When I look at the configurator, it seems like options are all comfort/convenience now, or a "+" to make something not initially right, better.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It looks like your son was having a great time! So was he trying to talk you into buying the 981 or did he prefer the Spyder? Olivia liked the Guards Red better than my Basalt which was her reasoning for preferring the 981. Typical girl picking based on color.
He said he likes both, but the spyder is better. Haha. What can I say?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

BTW, am I the only one who is annoyed with the new brake calipers? I don't understand why they would do it this way...
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i think you need a couple of years for the look to settle to know if something new and good looking has staying power. What may look great now , may not last. The spyder and CR is built off the last of the 986/987 platform, with the passing, the slim lithe and low hood/rear end has come to an end. I bought although i never liked the 986 nor did i like the 987 unlike the spyder and CR twins. Since they were outdated when new, it comes to follow that it is unlikely i will look at them any differently than I have currently. classic is what I'm after and even if it is too early to say, i've already laid my bets. In 6 or 7 years time when the next CR/spyder rolls around, I'll make another call on the 981......

with all that, it is a great looking car and much much more appealing than the 986/987 boxsters when they were revealed.... and they sound fab too...even w/o PSE
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Took the local dealership's launch 981S for a spin today. PDK, PASM, torque vectoring. Fantastic car! Wish I would have had the chance to autocross or track a properly prepped 981S, though, as its handling at the limits is really what I'd like to see.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Afshin,

Looks like you and I were doing the same thing tonight:

My thoughts:
1) Interior is WAY more upscale. Very nice, but not what I really want in a sports car.
2) The car looks just as good as the pictures suggest, IMO
3) I still like the look of my spyder better (the spyder looks better in person than in the pictures, IMO)
4) I think this car will sell WELL. It looks great, much better than the old boxster S, IMO
5) Look at the picture of the brake caliper. Disappointing that they made the brake pad changes a PITA now. Why? Why?
6) love the look of the new 20" carrera wheels, hate that they're 20". Why?
7) opening for 3rd radiator is now a completely blocked off 'fake' opening. Looks weird...Why?
i see that you were at stead porsche yesterday. the new box is very nice indeed. but i would still take the spyder.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Afshin,

That picture of your daughter in the car is perfect! My two daughters cried their eyes out when we pulled into the garage the night I surrendered my '01 S...It was like the family pet had died. I then proceeded to take them upstairs and show them the Boxster intro on the Porsche website and the crying stopped...This waiting game is killing me, but by the first week of October (crossing fingers), I will be taking delivery of my new one.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
i see that you were at stead porsche yesterday. the new box is very nice indeed. but i would still take the spyder.
You know your Bay area dealers. Don't worry, I'm keeping the spyder.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

BTW, am I the only one who is annoyed with the new brake calipers?
I guess I am....
Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I am....
Having not had to change my own pads, yet, I don't know the difference.

Can you elaborate?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the new calipers do now allow you to quickly change out from street to track pads without removing the entire caliper. The previous generation calipers allow the pads to be removed from the outer diameter of the caliper without caliper removal.

I'm not as bothered by it since I don't track my Spyder but I imagine it could be very annoying for anyone that uses their car on the street/track and wants more aggressive pads for the track only.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 06-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

One thing I really like about the new cars is their wheel finish! I love the metallic look of the wheels and how well they reflect light. I wish my Spyder wheels had the new finish on them.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Having not had to change my own pads, yet, I don't know the difference.

Can you elaborate?
If I'm not mistaken, the new calipers do now allow you to quickly change out from street to track pads without removing the entire caliper. The previous generation calipers allow the calipers to be removed from the outer diameter of the caliper without caliper removal.

I'm not as bothered by it since I don't track my Spyder but I imagine it could be very annoying for anyone that uses their car on the street/track and wants more aggressive pads for the track only.
Afshin is correct. It is very easy to change brake pads on brembo calipers. It's simply just popping out a retaining pin and that's it. With the 'new' design, you have to go back to the old school way of unbolting the caliper from the hub in order to get the brake pads out. More time consuming. Looking at the mounting bolt, you will probably damage some of the finish on that painted bolt in order to get the caliper off. Probably need a special tool for preventing that...
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the new calipers do now allow you to quickly change out from street to track pads without removing the entire caliper. The previous generation calipers allow the calipers to be removed from the outer diameter of the caliper without caliper removal.

Wow, I hadn't noticed until you pointed that out. Damn, why would they do that? The Brembos are fantastic, why switch for something worse?

Wait, wait, don't tell me- more incentive to bring it back to the Porsche dealer for servicing? Where you not only get to pay a lot of money for high-profit margin dealer servicing (which Porsche Stuttgart couldn't care less about), but more importantly, wander around the dealership for an hour or two looking at new Porsches?

Quick Reply: Saw the 981 Tonight