Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh man...my first problem...no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happens in my car is that if you are at say a stop sign and you crawl through it, the car sometimes does not downshift to first, hence the acceleration differential. Other than that, I certainly don't hear my injectors one bit and I have never had an acceleration problem.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the same issue on my 2014 cayman S (less than 2k miles). Haven't mentioned it to the dealer yet. Thought for sure it was software.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok good to know. I have a very small niggly problem (broken retainer clip on sun visor) that I need to take to the dealer to get new part so will have them look at this throttle hesitation too. But sounds like this is still not something widely acknowledged by PCNA or where there's a known solution...
Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by lee88
Both me and BGB are 99.99% certain the throttle response is a Porsche issue and nothing pertaining to the conversion work.
Whoa whoa whoa! Just kidding!

I think what Lee meant to say was that we were convinced it was our doing, until we came on here and saw that you guys were having the same problem.

Please keep us posted.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Jamoke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi lee88. I have a similar post here:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...-rpms-try.html

I see that BGB replied there as well. The fact that you guys see this with a completely different engine is a huge data point. I appreciate the replies.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM
lee88
Racer

Thanks, yeah I'll keep an eye on that thread too.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a little experiment getting onto the highway today. I cruised the on ramp at 32 in 3rd and then floored it to get onto the highway. There was the initial bog we've been discussing, and then the power came on strong. This was not in sport mode.

I dunno, maybe the ECU gets into a cruising mode and then it takes a moment for it to decide you want to switch to 'active' driving. I certainly have never experienced any throttle lag when I was driving more spiritedly.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Whoa whoa whoa! Just kidding!

I think what Lee meant to say was that we were convinced it was our doing, until we came on here and saw that you guys were having the same problem.

Please keep us posted.
John,

Do you think this is a software issue? If I remember correctly you did not flash the conversions yet.

Aaron
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Just wanted to make sure that some of you aren't talking about lugging the engine?

Porsches are not like V8s where most of the power/torque is at the bottom end. You have to get the RPMs up to get some oomph in Porsches. If you start at a low RPM, say less than 3k, then punch it, yes there will be a "delay" before the RPMs build and power starts to come on.

If some of you guys are starting around 2k RPM (worse in PDK when it's less than 2k), flooring the gas pedal, then getting no power - this is normal. There will be a delay in power until RPMs build up. It almost feels like the car's waiting for something.. until RPMs finally get higher and you start feeling the acceleration. This is pretty easy to see and feel at the track on those very slow corners if you didn't downshift to 2nd. It will lug around 3k until RPMs get higher and the power comes on.

HTH.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 AM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Just wanted to make sure that some of you aren't talking about lugging the engine?

Porsches are not like V8s where most of the power/torque is at the bottom end. You have to get the RPMs up to get some oomph in Porsches. If you start at a low RPM, say less than 3k, then punch it, yes there will be a "delay" before the RPMs build and power starts to come on.

If some of you guys are starting around 2k RPM (worse in PDK when it's less than 2k), flooring the gas pedal, then getting no power - this is normal. There will be a delay in power until RPMs build up. It almost feels like the car's waiting for something.. until RPMs finally get higher and you start feeling the acceleration. This is pretty easy to see and feel at the track on those very slow corners if you didn't downshift to 2nd. It will lug around 3k until RPMs get higher and the power comes on.

HTH.
No, this is an actual drop in RPMs for about half a second in my case. I can't reliably reproduce it though...
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM
lee88
Racer

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Yeah, good thought and worth asking but definitely not lugging. This is the 5th Porsche I've owned, both water and air cooled, so I'm reasonably familiar with driving them and the powerband.

The symptoms I experience are less RPM or speed dependent and more throttle opening dependent. The stumble/hesitation I experience is when going from a fairly small throttle opening to a moderate throttle opening, not when flooring it. It's happened both traveling at low speed in lower gears and at highway speeds in 5th or 6th. I've also had the situation others have reported where pulling away from a dead stop you get a stumble, but that's only happened to me once.

Again all of these situations tend to occur between 2-3k RPM and not up in the middle or high end of RPM range, but I'm pretty confident that's simply a correlation with the small throttle openings rather than causation. The cause could obviously be a range of things, but the symptom is certainly non-linear throttle response rather than lugging the engine/transmission.

Quick Reply: Oh man...my first problem...no acceleration