Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche...please critique these configurations

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior Agate Pebble

Your interior choice in Agate Pebble is very good.

From personal experience with this color these are my recommendations (in order of importance):

1) Order the carpet in deviating color Agate (instead of Pebble). Great for daily use - no shoe marks on mats and looks better than Pebble.

2) Order the seat belts in Guards Red. These add a nice sporty touch to an otherwise mellow and classic interior (save the money on the colored dials as the grey dials are the best and spend it on the seat belts instead)

3) Get the exterior in Agate to fully complement the interior

4) If you want something to do with dials and color, order the sports chrono in color. It's not in direct line of vision where I think the standard grey is easiest on the eyes.

I'm attaching some pics for your reference

Good luck

PS The carpet is there behind the seats as well. In the last picture, notice how the seats stand out because the carpet behind the seats is Agate instead of Pebble.
Attached Images       

Last edited by 03LX470; 04-19-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
+ 1 on PDK. I would never have considered it until I drove one at the dealer-there wasn't a manual available. Its not like a regular automatic in anyway and as we all know is quicker than a stick. Its uncanny, but its always in the right gear, would never go back to a Porsche with manual.

Machog
I was the other way around. I thought I might finally make the transition to a dual clutch design on the Boxster but the demo car they had was the 6 speed manual. It is easily the best manual gearbox I've ever driven (never driven an S2000) in my 30 yrs of driving manuals. It is absolute perfection to me. Even my wife, who is obviously used to riding with me in my manual cars, commented on how smooth my shifting was in it. She drove it and loved it too, which is saying something because she doesn't "love" driving a manual as much as I, although she does it quite well. The only negative thing I had regarding the manual is the accelerator pedal position is a bit forward relative to the brake, making my technique of heel to to shifting a bit difficult. I'm sure I will sort it out when my car gets here.

Also, with the Sports Chrono added, it's a $5500 option (see my comments about SC and manual transmission in an earlier post in this thread.). So that money went to other options. However, I would have no problem with a new GT3 only having a PDK .
Old 04-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 03LX470
Your interior choice in Agate Pebble is very good.

From personal experience with this color these are my recommendations (in order of importance):

1) Order the carpet in deviating color Agate (instead of Pebble). Great for daily use - no shoe marks on mats and looks better than Pebble.

2) Order the seat belts in Guards Red. These add a nice sporty touch to an otherwise mellow and classic interior (save the money on the colored dials as the grey dials are the best and spend it on the seat belts instead)

3) Get the exterior in Agate to fully complement the interior

4) If you want something to do with dials and color, order the sports chrono in color. It's not in direct line of vision where I think the standard grey is easiest on the eyes.

I'm attaching some pics for your reference

Good luck

PS The carpet is there behind the seats as well. In the last picture, notice how the seats stand out because the carpet behind the seats is Agate instead of Pebble.
Absolutely gorgeous interior! That's the route I was going to take on a Guards red exterior. The deviating carpet and two tone really makes the pebble shine rather than be mundane. The only other thing I would have done is go with the carbon fiber interior trim. In my opinion, it really melds the Agate/Pebble together with its dark/light gray weave whereas it doesn't blend as well with Garnet, or certainly Luxor at all. The aluminum looks fantastic too!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I would lose the Power Steering plus - you lose steering feel and feedback.

I would also lose the 20 inch wheels. More road noise and a harsher ride than the 19 inchers. If you want bling wheels buy aftermarket for the same price as the option. There are fewer tire choices in 20 inch as well. If you have a pot hole season, the 20 inch wheels are brutal and a good hole will crack, bend or break a wheel since the sidewall can't absorb as much.

Add PASM for a better ride and sporting when you want it.

If you live where it is cold, the heated steering wheel is a treat in spring and fall.

Regards,
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I went with a base car without a lot of expensive options such as SC, PTV, PASM. You really don't need any of that to enjoy the car. I've had 4 Boxsters and enjoyed all of them without it. Don't get black interior as it is way too hot for a convertible.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My perspective is a bit skewed but I'll add my input anyway.

I would go with the sport suspension for those twisty roads. It gives you additional feedback in the twisty's that will add to the overall driving experience. It's also not harsh unless you're going over very large bumps which I imagine would be just as bad with PASM in soft mode.

I also prefer manual for my cars unless I know I will be dealing with frequent stop/go traffic.

Good luck with the car build, it is fun to be able to pick the car exactly the way you want. If you think this is a long term purchase don't skimp on the goodies, if you'll trade in a couple of years then pick what's popular to benefit at resale.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going to stay in the minority and say that sport chrono is a total waste of money, as is PSE. Interior choices are totally a personal opinion - get what you want. Everyone except my girl loves my interior (see sig below for link to pics). But it's not her car, it's mine!

I was considering the Cayman before I ordered my 911, and my salesman said that PASM on the 981 is not an improvement in ride quality as it is on the 911, so take that with a grain of salt. I agree that the sport suspension is unnecessary.

Steering can be a little heavy in parking lots, but unless you've got zero upper body strength, the power steering plus is unnecessary and I've not read good things about it.

Heated seats are always nice to have unless you live in Florida, I guess. Since the OP didn't bother to fill out the profile, I guess we'll never know.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I'm going to stay in the minority and say that sport chrono is a total waste of money, as is PSE. I

Quick Reply: First Porsche...please critique these configurations