Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealer sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Default My dealer sucks.

As a service to others! I have to say it. As everyone knows here I've played with the idea of selling one of my cars. Well I offered it to the two dealers that serviced my cars. I understand that is a thing you do first. Anyway, I hear from one of them that the low offer is because there is "still stuff to fix and they have to add the cost of certification" (which I understand) I'm on reenlist DUH!

I'm mad because according to the dealership that services my car it needs work However they tell me everything is great when I take it in and ask to for an inspection BTW. This is just the proverbial straw. I have other gripes with this one and I would be happy to annotate them all here; needless to say, I would not recommend anyone I wished well to go there. Don't trust the 5 star rating - because i was pressured and felt under duress to give high marks or else suffer the raft of having your investment ruined. I'm an easy going guy, but enough is enough. Corporate really should do something.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 09-06-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I've been holding my tongue for too long....
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend works for a car manufacturer at the corporate level, I also worked with medical imaging dealers from a corporate vendor. The pressure that can be exerted is limited, they are their own businesses with their own priorities and profit goals. I disagree with the notion that the dealer is the first course of action for a potential sale. I'm not surprised one bit they want to profit off of you in the service department and low ball you on the purchase number. That's just how they roll. From their perspective the profitability of placing your car on the lot and backing it with the mandated used car warranty means they have to hit some profit target in their head. I don't disagree with you that system does not serve your needs but it's quite ubiquitous in the car business.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

So you're fed up with your dealer, but you won't name who that dealer is? And, if so, the point of this thread is what?

Also, I agree with the above comment, and also wonder why people think the dealer is the place to sell their car and/or that there is some obligation on the part of the dealer to make you a good offer. If you think your car is worth more than the offered, than you should have no trouble selling it for more...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
<snip>If you think your car is worth more than the offered, than you should have no trouble selling it for more...
My dealer honestly said they didn't really want my car as they only sell upper end European cars, so the price they offered was what they could get by passing it on to a wholesale house.

He recommended I sell it privately. I put in on the Internet and it sold for $000's more in just over a week.

Greg

Last edited by GregWormald; 09-07-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Although I am new to Porsches, I have some insight. One of the few situations where trading or maybe selling to a dealer makes sense is if you have a history of multiple car purchases with them (and ideally a single salesperson) and can afford to take a little hit on price. I know of one individual who is the second generation with the same rep, who is strategic enough to see the dealer relationship as an income stream, and their cars are all pristine. Few of us are in that enviable situation but it's one of the few scenarios that makes sense.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aaaa no not everyone here knew you were selling your car and no not everyone here takes their car to a dealer to sell it first.........DUH
Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If I were guessing the dealer is likely Rusnak. I haven't used them so I can't say one way or the other but I will say that with all the demand here in Cali for Porsches I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another new one again. It was difficult enough finding an allocation on the East Coast in the dead of winter during a recession, I can't even fathom how difficult it would be now to get a specialty car like a GT3.

Shame really as Porsche automatically pushes out many buyers due to the way dealers handle their customers.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:23 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A rule of thumb for selling anything: Cut out the middle man. You need to sell directly to an end user. That's how you can get retail pricing.

If you sell to dealers, or use brokers, auction services, you need to be prepared to get less than retail pricing. You will even see wholesale pricing when you sell through these channels. The difference between retail and wholesale is easily 10%, and many times much more. And especially this time of the year when model year changes.

If money matters, don't sell to any middleman. That has always been the case. Sorry, but selling to dealers has always been the last resort, not sure why someone can honestly say the exact opposite. Sell on Rennlist, Craigslist, BringaTrailer, autotrader, etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:28 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I trade to dealers for tax credits on new cars and simplicity/ ease of transaction. Always go in expecting the worst and try to negotiate- Then bend over.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:08 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly most dealers suck. Especially in CA...because there's so many Porsches and so much money they don't feel the need to value any particular customer, just the almighty dollar.

I brought my 981GTS into a local So Cal Porsche dealer a few weeks ago for a CPO service and they gave me back a filthy car with a new scratch on the drivers rear quarter window...nice going idiots. Thankfully, the shop manager was there and right away stepped up t order a new pane and fix it...but yes...dealers suck....they're in the business for the money and not for our passion.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

Please remember that the dealer is NOT your friend. They are a for-profit business. They are there to make money, not make friends. As long as you keep this principle in mind, and deal with them at arms length, you'll be fine. After all, you can always walk if you don't like what's going on.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I trade to dealers for tax credits on new cars and simplicity/ ease of transaction. Always go in expecting the worst and try to negotiate- Then bend over.
This is what I do. If I don't like their final offer, I shake their hand, thank them for their time and walk out the door. BTW, on two occasions when I did this, I got a call W/I 48 hours sweetening the deal.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:55 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you advertised your car here since a while and may be on other forums. Are your price expectations realistic ? Why did you have to go to your dealer to sell this car if the market is so good in your opinion ? I would be curious to know what price he actually offered to you before making any judgment, especially when trying to sell on open-top car at the end of the summer season... I looked at selling my Spyder myself at some point this summer and decided to keep it as this was too much work having to deal with "buyers/dreamers/low-ball opportunists". I can't imagine how frustrating it is for a dealer to deal with buyers of used cars !
Old 09-08-2017, 12:14 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

If it's the car he listed on 9/6...maybe it was the two minor carfax entries that scared the dealer away? I think his price is reasonable considering the configuration!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:33 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
... too much work having to deal with "buyers/dreamers/low-ball opportunists". I can't imagine how frustrating it is for a dealer to deal with buyers of used cars !
Which I have chosen to accept wholesale prices on my last 4 car sales, and avoid the hassle and risk associated with a private sale.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Everyone knows a dealer is the last place to get a fair deal...

Quick Reply: My dealer sucks.