Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking At 987

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:22 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking At 987

Hello, long time since I've been here. Looking at Boxster 987 S.

Some things I need to ask:

On the drivers side (left hand drive), there is some light wear/scuffing on the safety bar above drivers head , its sort of on the top half, to the left, and it looks as though it could be the roof doing this, has anyone seen this before? Signs of issues? (does the roof rest on these when closed, there's no sign of this on the passenger side). I've attached picture for you to see.

So, on the passenger side, the roof does not quite tuck inside the top left of the window, I've seen a quick fix on youtube, but the dealer has said it will be fixed by a repairer specializing in hoods if I buy (assume this problem not related to one above).

Does the Boxster being a convertible have and flex in the body? The passenger door, handle side, is about 1 mm wider gap to body the other side, I never noticed, but a friend pointed it out. It really not worrying me but wanted an opinion!

He says the engine failure will not happen as it's 2006, but the registration is Feb 2006, it's going to be made in factory in 2005, could still have the old bearings?? He cannot prove it either way? Would Porsche be able to tell me?

Is there a list somewhere I can cross check for the tools which should be with the car?

Thanks!!
Attached Images    

Last edited by texasgooner; 11-13-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Picture attached
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 AM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Originally Posted by texasgooner
On the drivers side (left hand drive), there is some light wear/scuffing on the safety bar above drivers head , its sort of on the top half, to the left, and it looks as though it could be the roof doing this, has anyone seen this before? Signs of issues? (does the roof rest on these when closed, there's no sign of this on the passenger side). I've attached picture for you to see.
On my 2006 there are no scuffs there. That scuffing looks too far back to be from the top even if the top was rubbing. I would guess it's unrelated.

So, on the passenger side, the roof does not quite tuck inside the top left of the window, I've seen a quick fix on youtube, but the dealer has said it will be fixed by a repairer specializing in hoods if I buy (assume this problem not related to one above).
Not sure if this is a question or not, but I can tell you that mine does that on both sides unless I stop the roof about 3/4 closed and pop it over manually.

He says the engine failure will not happen as it's 2006, but the registration is Feb 2006, it's going to be made in factory in 2005, could still have the old bearings?? He cannot prove it either way? Would Porsche be able to tell me?
All 987.1 cars have the IMS bearing issue. The good news is that the 987.1 is better than the 986 cars. The bad news is that when it goes wrong it's much harder to fix. From what I've found online, the ONLY way to tell for sure is to split the engine/tranny and get a visual, but I've had people tell me that my very early 2006 (built in July 2005) should have the latest, least trouble-prone IMS bearing.

In case you haven't located it yet, I've found LN Engineering seems to be one of the premier places regarding the IMS bearing situation. Both in information as well as fixes. Here is a link to a white paper put together by the OR PCA with information from LNE: https://www.oregonpca.org/resources/...he-full-story/

Is there a list somewhere I can cross check for the tools which should be with the car?
I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the owners manual shows it.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

As above... I'm a big fan of the LN Engineering folks too. They know this issue and these engines.

For the sides of top not tucking under on the sides, see thread below. I replaced the little elastic straps myself and the top closes correctly 100% of the time again. I use it almost every day.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...r-top-fix.html

Good luck!

Dave
'05 987S
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Thanks for your replies. I have shown Porsche these pics, and (although I'm still worried about the the gap in the door), they seem quite positive about all my questions:

"Looking at the pictures you've send me, this doen't look like mayor issiues. The scuffing on top of the safetybar seems like a little cosmetic damage, it's not something we see very often, but i think it will be quite easy to fix.

The lining of the convertible top is something we see more often, it's also easy to fix and some dealers let third party companies specialized in convertible tops fix it because of the lower costs. I cant however tell you the exact costs for this repair because we will have to check if there's no other damage to be seen.

The door is a part that could be ajusted, so if that's all it is also easy to fix as long as there hasn't been any body damage.

The body of any convertible is always a bit more stiff than a normal coupé, because the roof is normaly a part of the construction, however you should test drive the car to decide if its not to stiff for your liking.

The engine of the Boxster 987 doesn't have a lot of mechanical issiues, we can not check wich bearings you have installed on your car because this is something we have to check by removing the gearbox.

So to conclude, i would recommend you will do the pre-purchase check and take all of the flaws you discover on the car in your negotiation for the price you would like to pay for this car."

Last edited by texasgooner; 11-13-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Wrong text
Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Hello, long time since I've been here. Looking at Boxster 987 S.

Some things I need to ask:

Does the Boxster being a convertible have and flex in the body? The passenger door, handle side, is about 1 mm wider gap to body the other side, I never noticed, but a friend pointed it out. It really not worrying me but wanted an opinion!

Thanks!!
Can't help with the top questions. I have no experience with the top of my Boxster and it manifesting any signs of wear/abrasion etc.

For the question about flexing...

Before I bought my Boxster back in 2002 I test drove a number of USA convertible cars. All were horrible flexers.

The Boxster based on my research was not this way at all and a test ride/drive found the car to be quite rigid. Not coupe rigid but still quite acceptable. The Boxster is a bit more softly sprung than its Cayman sibling which helps.

But the Boxster has never manifested any of the behavior other convertibles are noted for. For instance, when crossing a number of rail road tracks in a USA convertible I never knew which way the car would be pointing after I had crossed over. The Boxster never gave me any reason to worry.

'course, you should test ride/drive the car over the same roads you intend to drive and see how the car feels to you.

People who work on these cars tell me the body panel gaps/fits are some of the finest they've seen.

The factory manual for my Turbo has a call out for the gap at the trailing edge of the door. It is 4mm +1.0mm -0.5mm.

I suspect the car you are looking at has a similar call out. These dimensions should be in the model's factory reference under "accident repair".

Can't help you regarding the IMSB question.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The door gap would concern me. Typically, when gaps are asymmetric, I would wonder if the car was damaged involving the passenger door, and whether it was repaired or replaced. If there's nothing but some cosmetic issues, the car passes a PPI, and the price is right, I might consider it.

Good advice from FlamsteadHill on the IMS bearing issue:

"All 987.1 cars have the IMS bearing issue. The good news is that the 987.1 is better than the 986 cars. The bad news is that when it goes wrong it's much harder to fix. From what I've found online, the ONLY way to tell for sure is to split the engine/tranny and get a visual, but I've had people tell me that my very early 2006 (built in July 2005) should have the latest, least trouble-prone IMS bearing."

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 574 Posts

The problem with the convertible top edge not falling into the window track is an easy fix. See my procedure here:

Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 AM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Originally Posted by bkrantz
The problem with the convertible top edge not falling into the window track is an easy fix. See my procedure here:

If you're lucky, and the elastic is just weak, it's Very Easy, as shown in your post.

If the elastic is completely worn out, as mine is, it appears to be Not Too Hard.

Quick Reply: Looking At 987