Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcantara - Biz is Booming/Weight Savings Over Leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Alcantara - Biz is Booming/Weight Savings Over Leather

Alcantara. Love it or hate it. I'm a fan, but many are not. Irrespective, business is apparently booming with demand outstripping supply according to the article below. Being a weight junky, I had always heard that the material was lighter than leather, but I had never seen in print anyone cite a real world example of the actual weight savings, until this:

"One advantage of Alcantara is that it is up to 50 percent lighter than leather. Boragno said Lamborghini saves 11 pounds by using the material . . . "

From: http://www.motortrend.com/news/alcan...AC3647B42C298A

“Alcantara Can’t Keep up With Demand as More Vehicles use the Material

Growth in other sectors too, like iPhone covers and yachts

Take one look at the opulent interior of the Lexas LC 500, with Alcantara seats, headliner, and door panels. That’s just one model from one carmaker, but it reflects the growing popularity of the suede-like and versatile material. The result: there isn’t enough Alcantara in the world to meet demand and the Italian supplier is turning down contracts as it works to double production.

Alcantara Chairman and CEO Andrea Boragno was in Detroit to provide an overview of the company behind the unique synthetic material made of polyurethane, polyester, and microfibers that is finding its way into ever more uses in vehicles.

It is not just seats and headliners, either. The material is being used increasingly on dashboards, doors, gearshifts, steering wheels, and as trim. In the future he expects to see more Alcantara on steering wheels and even inside door handles. And his goal is to increase penetration so that more vehicles roll off the line with the material with cost on par with leather but there is less waste.

The synthetic material is also being used in luxury yachts and planes as well as finding favor in the fashion, interior design, and consumer electronics industry. Microsoft is promoting its use as a high-end cover for the Surface 4 Pro laptop and it is showing up on headphones and iPhone covers as it increasingly is perceived as a lifestyle brand. All this means Alcantara can’t meet demand—especially with more orders from America and China—and Boragno said he is turning away as much as 20 percent new business because his plant in Milan can only make 8 million meters a year.

The U.S. accounts for 10 percent of global sales while Europe’s share stands at more than 60 percent, while Asia Pacific and other emerging markets account for nearly 30 percent. And part of his job as CEO since 2004 is playing up the company’s Italian roots which is especially important to customers in China, Korea, and Japan, he said. The company, which was founded in 1972, has seen net sales triple from 64.3 million euros ($78.8 million) in 2009 when it was hurt by the recession, to 187.2 million euros ($230 million) last year. Its use in the auto industry has grown 15 percent or more for each of the last seven years, which is significant given that 80 percent of its business is in the auto sector. But it was the 35-percent growth spike in 2015 that caught the company off guard and unable to meet the demand, Boragno said. So Alcantara is investing 300 million euros ($368 million) to double production in the next five years and the company’s brand value is expected to triple to 300 million euros ($368 million) over the same period. The company is also projected to grow from 600 to 800 employees, including about 500 production workers who make Alcantara around the clock.

The basic tech has not changed much since the ‘70s but Alcantara has worked to improve the color, thickness, and texture. One advantage of Alcantara is that it is up to 50 percent lighter than leather. Boragno said Lamborghini saves 11 pounds by using the material—an advantage in an industry fighting to reduce every ounce of weight to improve fuel economy.Boragno said his proprietary material is also more durable, has better grip, breathes better, and is warm in winter and cool in winter. The texture is pleasing to the touch and it can be customized for automakers looking to provide something unique. Customized interiors will only become more important with the advent of autonomous vehicles.The other passion project: the chemical engineer wants to develop and offer only bio-based products by 2020, further differentiating Alcantara from its main competitor: natural leather which involves animals, curing, and chemicals. “We don’t kill animals and our raw materials are polymers,” the CEO says bluntly. Alcantara was certified as carbon neutral nine years ago and remains committed to sustainability. Boragno said it is also good for business as it is appreciated by investors.”
Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m a fan of Alcantara but I think its use should be limited to certain parts of the car like the headliner, A/B/C Pillars and as an accent to leather.

It also looks good for seat inserts but only certain seats.

Interesting that they can’t keep up with demand, that’s a good thing I guess!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I gotta agree with Marine Blue. I am not a huge fan of leather. Let me rephrase - it depends on the car. In a race car or a sports car I don't see leather as a material I would want. In a GT car yes give me swathes of leather. That is why I don't get it when in a convertible like the Spyder or an aggressive car like the GT4 or GT3 people go for leather dashboards and leather seats etc. It needs to be Alcantara all the way! I do admit though that I would like to try out an Alcantara wheel but I think I am happy mine isn't at the end of the day!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:44 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Alcantara is great for seat inserts (superb grip), door panels, headliners and other areas not often touched by my hands - but it quickly gets shiny & nasty (for me, anyway) on steering wheels, shift boots, (old school) handbrake handles, etc.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting, though I'm not surprised about the weight savings. I like the amount of alcantara on the Spyder, just enough in the right spots. Anymore would be overkill IMO, YMMV.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:35 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

I was going to write about how Alcantara is a terrible material for car interiors, but someone has already done it:

https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garb...ors-1733409981

”Hey, everyone! Remember when we all agreed that the best material for car interior would be insanely expensive, impossible to clean, look like a dirty sandbox on its best day with the texture of pubic hair stubble? Neither do I.”

Pure gold, that.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Alcantara is great for seat inserts (superb grip), door panels, headliners and other areas not often touched by my hands - but it quickly gets shiny & nasty (for me, anyway) on steering wheels, shift boots, (old school) handbrake handles, etc.
I'm with you on that. I have Alcantara on the headliner and pillars in my M5 and it's nice to see and touch sometimes but I don't think I'd want to touch it daily, i.e. a steering wheel. I can see how the additional grip over leather is beneficial when racing, but I guess if you're really racing, aren't you gonna use gloves anyway?

I've also seen some old steering wheels and Alcantara doesn't age well, but I'm sure maintaining it can help.

Founded in 1972? Didn't think it's been around that long!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:51 PM
HODY905
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate it? And you can be sure if all the referenced manufacturers are using, it is cheaper than leather. Time will tell what it looks like with some extended use. For me it is a cheap, cheap fake suede!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 298 Posts

Love the stuff. Prefer it to leather. Have had it in my interiors going back to my 95 Volvo 850 T-5R. The misnomer is that it wears terribly. I have found that without proper care it will lose its original feel, but no different than how new leather turns from soft and matte in finish to hard and shiny without the proper care. I have found that a monthly cleaning of the touchpoint parts keeps the stuff looking and feeling brand new. Non touch parts like a headliner can be left alone looking new virtually forever. I usually have my steering wheel, shift ****, e brake etc all done in it and the monthly cleaning regime works brilliantly. Besides the look and feel, which are subjective though tough to argue the grip isn’t superior to leather, is the fact that it is temperature neutral. It isn’t as cold in the winter months nor is it as hot in the warmer months as leather. And while there are Alcantara specific cleaning products, plain old water works just as well.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Love the stuff. Prefer it to leather. Have had it in my interiors going back to my 95 Volvo 850 T-5R. The misnomer is that it wears terribly. I have found that without proper care it will lose its original feel, but no different than how new leather turns from soft and matte in finish to hard and shiny without the proper care. I have found that a monthly cleaning of the touchpoint parts keeps the stuff looking and feeling brand new. Non touch parts like a headliner can be left alone looking new virtually forever. I usually have my steering wheel, shift ****, e brake etc all done in it and the monthly cleaning regime works brilliantly. Besides the look and feel, which are subjective though tough to argue the grip isn’t superior to leather, is the fact that it is temperature neutral. It isn’t as cold in the winter months nor is it as hot in the warmer months as leather. And while there are Alcantara specific cleaning products, plain old water works just as well.

Good to know! So how exactly do you keep your Alcantara clean? I love the stuff but it's my first experience owning a car with a bunch of the stuff in it!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 AM
HODY905
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each their own. Just know if it wasn't cheaper than leather the car manufacturers wouldn't be using it, no matter what the care.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:03 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Love alcantara, but you're only going to save any meaningful weight I think if you're slathering pretty much everywhere like Lambo does. I wouldn't say a 981 GTS for example is seeing any "major" benefit total weight wise...
Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although Alcantara is lighter than leather, its application in Porsche's cars are actually heavier than the leather option.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Although Alcantara is lighter than leather, its application in Porsche's cars are actually heavier than the leather option.
Ervin, can you explain this further? How is Porsche's application of Alcantara heavier? Just curious.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I gotta agree with Marine Blue. I am not a huge fan of leather. Let me rephrase - it depends on the car. In a race car or a sports car I don't see leather as a material I would want. In a GT car yes give me swathes of leather. That is why I don't get it when in a convertible like the Spyder or an aggressive car like the GT4 or GT3 people go for leather dashboards and leather seats etc. It needs to be Alcantara all the way! I do admit though that I would like to try out an Alcantara wheel but I think I am happy mine isn't at the end of the day!
My car has an Alcantara steering wheel. I like it. While it's not an issue for me up in the NW, I grew up in the SW and fully experienced hand-melting-on-a-hot-steering-wheel-in-the-summer-itis. My guess that in higher temps, the Alcantara wheel would stay much cooler to the touch than a leather or plastic wheel. And yeah...in general, it's really grippy to use.

Quick Reply: Alcantara - Biz is Booming/Weight Savings Over Leather