Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Dash Clock Options...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 05:28 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,596 Likes on 610 Posts

Refitted, with the @Hatzenbach auto light switch ambient light sensor now also far right in the vent outlet...

Does this version look more 'Porsche' and less 'VW'?

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-22-2024 at 05:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
dxrohanx (01-23-2024), Hatzenbach (01-22-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 12:10 PM
MDA1234
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

A bit of wishcasting here, but I'd really love to be able to install a combination oil temp/oil pressure gauge in the Sport Chrono hump, ideally in the same type and white face as the Cayman S. I'm happy to do the work of cutting/splicing/etc, but I've not seen anyone that manufactures a gauge like this (beyond some digital versions, which I don't love). Any leads for me?
Old 01-26-2024, 11:47 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MDA1234
A bit of wishcasting here, but I'd really love to be able to install a combination oil temp/oil pressure gauge in the Sport Chrono hump, ideally in the same type and white face as the Cayman S. I'm happy to do the work of cutting/splicing/etc, but I've not seen anyone that manufactures a gauge like this (beyond some digital versions, which I don't love). Any leads for me?
There are a few threads on similar, but you need to tap the canbus to get the data.
Then with a combination gauge, or singular needle, you would need some sort of DAC to convert the signal to a non-digital VDO-type.

Or, install conventional sensors on T-adapters at relevant tap points on engine I think.

VDO too is available in white, just look for their Viewline 52mm range.

This unit would fit straight into the SC dash pod, with no mods needed.

I was going to change my clock to white - to similarly match Cayman S - but, instead have had the longer term desire to change the main instrument cluster from white to conventional black.
I find the white sometimes hard to read on dawn and dusk...

An alternative is the range of options now and under development at 997 Research - suggest you message them with ideas and needs?

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-27-2024 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:37 AM
Speedgelb
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
There are a few threads on similar, but you need to tap the canbus to get the data.
Then with a combination gauge, or singular needle, you would need some sort of DAC to convert the signal to a non-digital VDO-type.

Or, install conventional sensors on T-adapters at relevant tap points on engine I think.

VDO too is available in white, just look for their Viewline 52mm range.

This unit would fit straight into the SC dash pod, with no mods needed.

I was going to change my clock to white - to similarly match Cayman S - but, instead have had the longer term desire to change the main instrument cluster from white to conventional black.
I find the white sometimes hard to read on dawn and dusk...

An alternative is the range of options now and under development at 997 Research - suggest you message them with ideas and needs?

I got also a replacement for the Chrono Pod under development since late spring of last year. I hope to release around Q2 this year. It’s nothing for the purist, which I totally understand. But it will add a decent touch of modern tech to the 9x7, I think it will not be that out of place. Obviously for someone who tracks his 9x7 perfect, to know the health state a tad more of the vehicle.
Please excuse the crappy picture, it was just from last year autumn when I made a test with the first prototype. The values are shown here are just placeholders for sensors and to check the view while driving.
I will announce it end of next month with more pictures, functionality, compatibility and detailed description. It will be easy to install, prewired, updatable, has many values from the Ecu to choose, many external sensors available and also maybe some special functions (still in development) that interact with the car.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:18 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

... along similar lines, but many times easier to install - as literally plug-and-play - 997 Research has now available the necessary pig-tail that allows 1:1 removal of SC stopwatch, and straight replacement with a standard 52mm dash clock.
The 52mm dash pod size suits the many items from VDO above, as well as a range from Autometer and similar aftermarket suppliers...

Details here.

The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (02-03-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 07:52 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedgelb
I got also a replacement for the Chrono Pod under development since late spring of last year. I hope to release around Q2 this year. It’s nothing for the purist, which I totally understand. But it will add a decent touch of modern tech to the 9x7, I think it will not be that out of place. Obviously for someone who tracks his 9x7 perfect, to know the health state a tad more of the vehicle.
Please excuse the crappy picture, it was just from last year autumn when I made a test with the first prototype. The values are shown here are just placeholders for sensors and to check the view while driving.
I will announce it end of next month with more pictures, functionality, compatibility and detailed description. It will be easy to install, prewired, updatable, has many values from the Ecu to choose, many external sensors available and also maybe some special functions (still in development) that interact with the car.
That would be cool. I'm just looking for a small oil temp gauge so I can tell when the engine is warm enough to hammer it.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:41 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedgelb
will that be for both 987.1 and 987.2 ?
Old 02-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Speedgelb
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
will that be for both 987.1 and 987.2 ?
Plan or more a goal is to cover the whole 9x7.x range. So starting from 987.1 2.7 up to 997.2 gt3 rs 4.0.
But the bus functionalities will be available first for 987.1 and later via update for more like the .2. The difference in terms of electronics is huge between .1 and .2.
Not to mention that turbo and gt3 are also very different.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Too late now, but I just picked this up from a local auction!
Matches white Cayman, Boxster, and 911 S instrument cluster white...

New old stock, and un-used.
Pretty rare as I understand, as only seen the other one above for sale.
Not cheap either, but as I've ordered the black gauge faces, I'll try and sell this one...

Quick Reply: Cayman Dash Clock Options...