Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 2008 Porsche Design LE 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Bubbausa
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New (to me) 2008 Porsche Design LE 2

HI all. Not new to P cars, but new to earlier Boxster models. I found what is to me a nice 2008 Porsche Design Special Edition2 car. I, am at best, confused about the model designation.

1. I find & read all the articles I can, to include ones from Porsche...say built in late 08 for release on 09. This is one of 32 imported to US market, 18 to Canada, 200 for rest of world for total run of 250 S models.
2. Production date 2008-10-1 VIN has 987 in it.
3. Lower mile 'S' 3.4 (supposedly with a few extra hp); Manual trans. Everything matches build sheet and Maroney.

I keep reading so many conflicting this and that info threads about IMS, scored cylinders, about 2008 Boxster "issues",my head blew up, so I thought I'd ask you folks. I'm not rich enough to NOT drive it, so I'm kinda taking the approach, what the heck, drive it, enjoy it, if something breaks then decide that to do then. I do have a few questions though.

I know this may not be something that special or even a well liked car in white with silver stripes, but I like it, and willing to step up to get it. Has all docs and clean certified Carfax.
PO says cant find design watch that supposedly came with it...anyone have a pic of what it would look like?

Look forward to participating with the forum. Any helpful and accurate info most appreciated. I do want to drive the car. Any suggestions on things to have as spares? No tool or spare or jack, correct? Is this IMS thing fixed (in2006)? Want to install NAV, any suggestions?

I mis-posted earlier to the 997 forum (sorry guys); so is this the correct forum I should participate in?

Thanks much.
George

Old 03-04-2020, 01:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Hi George,

What'cha got there is a "Design Edition" - Porsche loves to create special series of existing cars just before a facelift is done on the model. The 2009 was the facelift (and driveline-lift), so Porsche had some bodies kicking around and they decided to pimp them up and move them out the door, since once the 2009 was really revealed - these would be as stale as month old milk. My Cayenne '06 "Titanium Edition" (special paint on wheels, special 2 tone interior and some body cladding - but really it was just a standard S..) That's what you're showing here.

The 2008 still can have IMS issues, and even though it's probably better than earlier models - it still is tarred with the same brush and also noted for the possibility of bore failures. It also had issues with oil starvation and power steering overheating problems if tracked.

The funny part is - since it's a "limited edition" (aka lipstick on a pig) - there are still a number of Porschophiles who feel it is very special and will pay more money for it compared to it's basic twin without the lipstick.

If it was me - and it was - looking for a Boxster, I'd limit my looking to a 2009 or newer - especially if you want to use it as a daily driver. I use mine ALL the time, it isn't a garage queen, it won't appreciate in value enough to not drive it - at least not in my lifetime - so I'm having fun with mine. The fun is made sweeter by PDK (wonderful transmission) and a bulletproof engine.

This one looks nice. I don't think I'd pay a premium for the design edition - since the changes made to it could be easily replicated by an owner for a few hundred $$ (or by a pro for probably $2k.)

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:23 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi George,

What'cha got there is a "Design Edition" - Porsche loves to create special series of existing cars just before a facelift is done on the model. The 2009 was the facelift (and driveline-lift), so Porsche had some bodies kicking around and they decided to pimp them up and move them out the door, since once the 2009 was really revealed - these would be as stale as month old milk. My Cayenne '06 "Titanium Edition" (special paint on wheels, special 2 tone interior and some body cladding - but really it was just a standard S..) That's what you're showing here.

The 2008 still can have IMS issues, and even though it's probably better than earlier models - it still is tarred with the same brush and also noted for the possibility of bore failures. It also had issues with oil starvation and power steering overheating problems if tracked.

The funny part is - since it's a "limited edition" (aka lipstick on a pig) - there are still a number of Porschophiles who feel it is very special and will pay more money for it compared to it's basic twin without the lipstick.

If it was me - and it was - looking for a Boxster, I'd limit my looking to a 2009 or newer - especially if you want to use it as a daily driver. I use mine ALL the time, it isn't a garage queen, it won't appreciate in value enough to not drive it - at least not in my lifetime - so I'm having fun with mine. The fun is made sweeter by PDK (wonderful transmission) and a bulletproof engine.

This one looks nice. I don't think I'd pay a premium for the design edition - since the changes made to it could be easily replicated by an owner for a few hundred $$ (or by a pro for probably $2k.)

That's not inaccurate, but

I think you're safe on the IMS thing by 2008. When I went looking for opinions on my '07 Boxter S, shops I know and trust that I've used for years told me flat out that they never saw an IMS failure on the latest gen bearing cars (these). I've also heard Internet chatter about bore scoring, but, having been around, don't know of any engine that doesn't have something to scare folks with. What I can say is I've had my used Boxster S for three or four years now and it's been perfect. It's getting closer to 60K miles and I plan to do some minor service items and keep rolling along.

BTW, I've heard stories about the power steering, but I think if that's a problem it's only on the track. I've tracked my Boxster a few times (have another car for tracking) with no problem at all.

I happen to really like the '08 Design Edition, and went looking for one myself. There was also an orange special model that year and the RS60. The white is really handsome IMO. It will probably end up costing a few thousand more than a plain '08S, and will drive exactly the same. I think you'll get that extra cost back out when you sell it.

The only thing I'm not crazy about on this model are the white wheels. These came with white or standard wheels if I recall correctly. Otherwise, these are perfectly specced out.

These are really great sports cars and the 987 was the last of the pretty much analog Porsches. I think you'll be getting a great car if you go with it.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:25 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Forgot to say,

No idea about a NAV. I just left my basic radio alone and accept that it's not gonna join this decade.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:56 PM
Bubbausa
Cruisin'

HI fellas, appreciate the inputs. Researched what I could (a lot) but wondering if I made a BIG mistake by not going for 09 or more now. Too late now ($ went out yesterday). Thanks Andy, I do feel relieved. I read so much conflicting data about the 08. I know its nobody's intent to make ya feel dumb on these forums, as you dont know what you dont know.

I plan to drive it like I said. It has @20k mis and always serviced...sometimes almost no miles between oil changes etc. Never thought of cars as investments. All this new lingo, numbers and stuff just gets confusing for this well worn but not completely used up P-car-nut, but I still want to figure it out. I suspected I was just about over the hill when looking at the new Cayman, biggest question was "how good is the A/C?" ;-)

Look forward to more comments and opinions. BTW 986 is pre 2006? 987.1 & 987.2 is what? Mine would be a plain old 987? Thanks,

George

PS - deilenberger- agree big time on the PDK, have one in the Cayman 718S; really nice gearbox n way better than the Tip. I was looking for an analog type, fun, convertible P car...but not as analog as my trusty 914...or advanced as the 718 ( heck Ive never seen the motor n that sucker as you just about gotta disassemble the whole rear interior ). Thanks for the input. G

Last edited by Bubbausa; 03-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (03-05-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 05:46 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

987.1 is 2004-2008. You have the 987.1. No one except people who hang out on forums like this actually call it that, though.
987.2 is 2009 to 2012
The main reason some people go for the 987.2 is that the engine did not incorporate the IMS. The body is very subtly restyled, but unless you really concentrate, you'd have a hard time telling which is which from 20 feet away. There are far fewer 987.2's out there because they came out just as the recession hit.

If you also have the 718, but are vintage enough to know the difference, you'll appreciate the Boxster big time. I'm with you, enjoy it and don't worry about it.
KCShelby (01-28-2024)
Old 03-04-2020, 06:54 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbausa
HI all. Not new to P cars, but new to earlier Boxster models. I found what is to me a nice 2008 Porsche Design Special Edition2 car. I, am at best, confused about the model designation.

1. I find & read all the articles I can, to include ones from Porsche...say built in late 08 for release on 09. This is one of 32 imported to US market, 18 to Canada, 200 for rest of world for total run of 250 S models.
2. Production date 2008-10-1 VIN has 987 in it.
3. Lower mile 'S' 3.4 (supposedly with a few extra hp); Manual trans. Everything matches build sheet and Maroney.

I keep reading so many conflicting this and that info threads about IMS, scored cylinders, about 2008 Boxster "issues",my head blew up, so I thought I'd ask you folks. I'm not rich enough to NOT drive it, so I'm kinda taking the approach, what the heck, drive it, enjoy it, if something breaks then decide that to do then. I do have a few questions though.

I know this may not be something that special or even a well liked car in white with silver stripes, but I like it, and willing to step up to get it. Has all docs and clean certified Carfax.
PO says cant find design watch that supposedly came with it...anyone have a pic of what it would look like?

Look forward to participating with the forum. Any helpful and accurate info most appreciated. I do want to drive the car. Any suggestions on things to have as spares? No tool or spare or jack, correct? Is this IMS thing fixed (in2006)? Want to install NAV, any suggestions?

I mis-posted earlier to the 997 forum (sorry guys); so is this the correct forum I should participate in?

Thanks much.
George

If you made a big mistake, I did as well. I've got an '08 special edition as well - the RS 60 Spyder. Same wheels (easiest way to clean for me is with a cellulose sponge) and same IMS, bore score, etc. My own research failed to show an actual IMS problem with the '08s. They "could" fail, since the bearing is internal, but the design was beefed up by Porsche and I've not heard of one failing. If it does - ah well. The bore scoring seems also to be something one hears about on forums but, for me, not at local dealers/mechanics. Anecdotally, it's supposedly "a thing" for those in very cold climates.

Because you have an 987.1 you have the port fuel injected engine; not direct injection. That was something I specifically wanted on mine, along with a hydraulic steering rack.

I suspect you're going to enjoy the car quite a bit. I really enjoy driving mine, regardless of the drive - in the city or in the twisties.
KCShelby (01-28-2024)
Old 03-04-2020, 07:37 PM
Bubbausa
Cruisin'

Professorz thanks much. I was really on the fence between this and one like yours.
Couldnt find anything as nice, or as reasonable, so I went for it. At 69 yrs...I try not to delay tooo long on anything. 😊
Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbausa
Professorz thanks much. I was really on the fence between this and one like yours.
Couldnt find anything as nice, or as reasonable, so I went for it. At 69 yrs...I try not to delay tooo long on anything. 😊
Very much the right approach, imho!
Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 AM
Bubbausa
Cruisin'

Does anyone have a pic of the supposed Porsche Design Watch that was supposed to come with the car? Seems to have everything else but that & was curious. Appreciate it. Thanks, G
Old 03-05-2020, 12:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Just to clarify - I wouldn't expect any trouble with your new 2008 - but do realize when it comes time to sell it - people who are knowledgeable, or even people who just do a search on Google - are going either beat you up over the IMS possibility and probably bore-scoring, or simply won't be interested in the car. The 2009 goes for more money for a simple reason - it doesn't have the inherited black eyes that any prior 987 has. Chances of the IMS going bad or bore scoring is probably tiny on the 2008 - but since the "chance" is always there - it will affect saleability. In my own case - I simply ignored anything prior to 2009 - and there were some awfully nice ones I didn't even bother reading the listing on.

Since you already bought it - I wish you a lot of luck with it - and drive it to enjoy it.. don't hide it in a garage.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Bubbausa
Cruisin'

Thanks old buddy. I plan on smashing some bugs on it😎.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:56 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Enjoy it is really nice, my first Porsche was a 2008, I really loved that car do not worry about IMS, just shift before 6,500.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:46 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi George,

LOL - I was going to comment on this asshat's comment (for obvious reasons), but I see he's been banned.
Great car and it looks striking even with the all white wheels. I read in these pages that the 987 is one of the last 'analog' feeling pcars and moving into this from a 986 S I would have to agree.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:56 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

To mitigate IMS anxiety I'd suggest Blackstone or other oil analysis with each oil change. It's a good looking car, but I would not be able to tolerate the white wheels for daily driving. Maybe for show or resale. Of course I'm a black wheel advocate. Congrats!

Quick Reply: New (to me) 2008 Porsche Design LE 2