Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 12:17 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

For a manual car it sounds like an LSD will have much greater benefit for similar cost depending on the diff. I have a spare OEM diff with new plates if anyone wants it. I was going to use it but got a deal on something else from a friend's wrecked track car.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:39 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I've driven cars with a sprint booster and I drive. my 2.9 manual with sport mode. Let me say this.. Porsche OEM Sport Mode is NOT just a sprint booster on a manual. Sprint boosters are cheap, generic products with very little design and engineering differences between a Porsche sprint booster and a Ford F-150 sprint booster. Auto-Zone quality. Do you guys really think that Porsche doesn't know any better how to get performance out of a tune than a generic sprint booster company?
I agree the only very obvious difference Sport Mode makes on a manual is throttle sensitivity. But who in their right mind doesn't want a sensitive throttle?? I like to feather throttles, not stomp on them. But as I said, this is a Porsche engineered throttle sensitivity, not an Auto Zone sprint booster. And personally, I think the hard rev limit makes a HUGE difference when I'm gettin on it. Pulls noticeably harder to redline. And it's just not true that that doesn't matter unless you're on the track. The only way it doesn't matter is if you drive like a wuss. lol

To summarize... if you don't think your car is worth putting $1300 into to get OEM Sport Mode and button, get yourself a $300 sprint booster. But if anyone thinks the two are the same, you are just plain wrong. Porsche engineering matters. I won't even drive my car through the city without putting sport mode on. I have a beautiful sounding exhaust and with sport mode on, just a tiny feather of the throttle brings that rumble to life.
The following 2 users liked this post by SomnoBoost:
Thirsty987 (03-22-2022), wail junkie (12-22-2020)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:18 PM
bertsboat
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Perceptible changes:
  • Increased sensitivity to throttle mapping. Smaller throttle pedal increments result in greater openings. Switching from Sport mode to normal on a fixed throttle setting, drops back openings so you slow down.
  • Faster PDK shifts, thumping the clutch out to engage of full throttle shifts, and not feeding it in slowly for smoothness.
I cannot sense any other changes, including exhaust noise (Carnewal GT mufflers and Soul X-Pipe), which is mostly just RPM driven.
Effectively though, for any fixed throttle opening the exhaust will be louder in Sport mode, but no more than depressing the loud peddle a bit more...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDCvdOFKDg

I also took the Chrono out, made it a nice desk ornament, and changed for a VDO clock - plug and play!

See ya.
please elaborate on the VDO clock swap. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2024, 11:31 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a BS 987.2 with PASM, LSD, and Sport Exhaust options. Honestly I was a little disappointed in the car initially. I installed the DSC Sport active suspension control and sprint throttle which is set on 5.
The result was a faster throttle response and a more compliant and capable handling car. Both upgrades were 5-10 minute PnP installations easily removed if desired, so no modifications to the car.
Seemed like a big improvement to me.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:04 PM
McSwine
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Everyone has to do what's best for them but the Sprint Booster on my '09 2.9 may be the best bang-for-the-buck money I've ever spent on any car. I've since installed it on 2 other cars with significant improvement as well.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:18 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 74 Posts

One thing that I never see mentioned here about the Sport mode function on the 6MT cars is increased engine braking. I don't know how Porsche does it exactly, but the engine braking is MUCH stronger with Sport mode engaged on my 2011 2.9 6MT, especially above 3000rpms in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. When I turn off Sport mode, the car has minimal engine braking effect in comparison.

I'm also running the Sprint Booster set to 7 in the sport setting as I find the Sport mode throttle to still be pretty laggy.
The following users liked this post:
Sir Ducer (04-23-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 07:50 AM
CrisTSC
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Sport mode also affects PSM and ABS intervention, which could be usefull for spirited/track driving.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:21 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by XuTVJet
One thing that I never see mentioned here about the Sport mode function on the 6MT cars is increased engine braking. I don't know how Porsche does it exactly, but the engine braking is MUCH stronger with Sport mode engaged on my 2011 2.9 6MT, especially above 3000rpms in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. When I turn off Sport mode, the car has minimal engine braking effect in comparison.
Haven't heard that either. Maybe they're doing something with the valve timing control to implement that?

I'd love to get the Sport Mode retrofit on my 2010, but all the dealers I've spoken to here in the SF Bay Area have looked at me like I've got two heads when I've asked about having them install it, and I haven't been willing to risk buying the SW from Suncoast without a straight answer on the install.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:48 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Haven't heard that either. Maybe they're doing something with the valve timing control to implement that?

I'd love to get the Sport Mode retrofit on my 2010, but all the dealers I've spoken to here in the SF Bay Area have looked at me like I've got two heads when I've asked about having them install it, and I haven't been willing to risk buying the SW from Suncoast without a straight answer on the install.
BMW implements similar behavior, but it was on much newer cars. The engine braking affect is ideal for track driving thus the reason Porsche does it.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:12 AM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2.9 l Cayman PDK with Sport+
OEM retro fit and Carnewal R mufflers. The sound is awesome especially on the track. I don’t think Sport+ enhances the sound just gets there quicker. For the track Sport+ is a must for PDK CARS and for spirited street Sport is perfect. I use the paddles and Spirt+ has a noticeably faster shift. (Same in auto mode).
Old 04-23-2024, 07:07 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

I tried this today down a long hill. No discernible difference between Sport on or off while coasting.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 AM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
Everyone has to do what's best for them but the Sprint Booster on my '09 2.9 may be the best bang-for-the-buck money I've ever spent on any car. I've since installed it on 2 other cars with significant improvement as well.
I agree 100% on the sprint booster. How the car should have been delivered instead of that long slow throttle...

I would like to try Sport though...
Old 04-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Sir Ducer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also running the Sprint Booster set to 7 in the sport setting as I find the Sport mode throttle to still be pretty laggy.
Yes I've red up that Sports and Sports + Mode affects the brake sensitivity, through the booster or vacuum, not sure which, and also the how more a liberal PSM/TC lets the tail hang out that fractionally more.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:38 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

From what I can see, the module you purchase only allows for the Sport button. My car has a button for PASM and I'd like to keep it alongside the Sport button so they can be operated independently. Anyone know if that's possible?
Old 04-23-2024, 04:55 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ80
From what I can see, the module you purchase only allows for the Sport button. My car has a button for PASM and I'd like to keep it alongside the Sport button so they can be operated independently. Anyone know if that's possible?
I'm sure you can get the panel from a wrecker that has PASM and Sport, It's what I have. When you hit Sport, PASM automatically engages as well. you can then hit PASM to make it go back to normal while keeping sport engaged. Hopefully whoever installs it can program it all correctly.
The following users liked this post:
RJ80 (04-24-2024)

Quick Reply: 987.2 Sport Mode