Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for first Track Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 11:05 AM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Here ya go Joe!

Main rule - have fun. Charlotte is a blast and a rare chance to experience a ROVAL track, especially at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4-zuFkON4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVETGyDW_pk&t=104s
Yes thanks follow Joe! this looks amazing. When did they add in the chicanes? I spectated one of the track nights last year and they didn't have them in there.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:18 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJoe
Yes thanks follow Joe! this looks amazing. When did they add in the chicanes? I spectated one of the track nights last year and they didn't have them in there.
Yeah this was an (un)welcomed addition to have these chicanes. I was there a few years ago and they didn't have them. I think they put them in to keep the NASCAR speeds down.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...retch-chicane/

This is without.... but sound sucks.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:40 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

A couple of things to keep in mind...

1) Empty the car, including the glovebox, trunk and frunk of *everything* that isn’t bolted down. Remove floor mats too.
2) Remind yourself that “there is no trophy”. You aren’t there to race! You are there to drive and enjoy your car.
3) Drive your line/car, not someone else’s. Too many newbies try to keep up with the car that just passed them, they passed you because they are faster than you and if they are faster than you, it’s probably because you aren’t ready to be as fast as them and that’s where rookies make mistakes that take them off track and cause off track incidents or worse yet, wrecks. Once you learn to drive your line properly, you’ll get faster too.
4) If at all possible, find a more experienced driver (Qualified instructor if possible) to ride in the passenger seat and most importantly, listen to them while you are driving.I find that no matter how much time I have behind the seat, having someone critiquing me in real time keeps me safer and makes me faster.
5) Only do what you *know* you can do behind the wheel on the track, not what you *think* you can do.
6) Lastly, have fun! Just remember, this becomes habit forming quickly. As they say, “the first hit of crack is free...”
Old 05-08-2020, 09:48 AM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Unless you're comfortable economically walking away from the car if it's a complete write-off, buy track insurance. Lockton Affinity and ontrackinsurance.com both have good reputations for HPDE insurance, I've always used one those two (thankfully never had any on track incidents).
Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Lots of wisdom here Joe! I think based on your preparation, and the wise advise you are receiving here, it is very likely that you will be much more prepared then most. So instead of telling you more what to do, I'm going to suggest you watch out for less prepared drivers.

- Don't assume the other drivers understand the passing rules. You may be given a pass, that you know is unsafe to take - either waive it off, or check your rear view mirror and if no one behind you slow down a bit.

- Don't assume the other drivers understand the flag rules. Yellow flag, means slow and no pass until the next manned station without a flag. Red flag means stop, but pick a safe place that other drivers who don't know, will not run into you.

- If a car ahead is smoking, he could be putting fluid on the track - stay way clear of that car.

- Don't get too close to the rear of another car in the hard braking zone, as he may brake much earlier, or much later, or slow much quicker than you'd expect.

- I hate to say this, but be chill if someone tries to tell you that you are doing something wrong. We have ALL done something wrong at one time or another. Don't take it personally, just use as a learning lesson how to better treat rookies when you become the seasoned semi-pro.

- If you go to the track with friends, be the one who knows the schedule, knows the rules, knows when it is time to get in position, and the one that has the extra bottle of water - we all need track friends like this!!!

I would be very impressed if you come back to this thread and report in some small detail of what you heard, felt, smelled, and saw. Then we would know for sure that your eyes and ears are open, you are fully aware of your surroundings at all times, and will be learning very quickly.
The following users liked this post:
tomhartzell (05-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Tips for first Track Night