Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for first Track Night

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:34 PM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tips for first Track Night

Hello All, I'm planning to take my 2014 CS to a Track Night in America event an was wondering if anybody had any tips for first time out on a track. I just had the breaks serviced and alignment performed, any other general maintenance things to do? Also any tips while I'm out there driving?

Planning to do the June event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...peedway-june-5
Old 04-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJoe
Hello All, I'm planning to take my 2014 CS to a Track Night in America event an was wondering if anybody had any tips for first time out on a track. I just had the breaks serviced and alignment performed, any other general maintenance things to do? Also any tips while I'm out there driving?

Planning to do the June event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...peedway-june-5

Food and hydration are very important for a good track day, make sure you have plenty. Take a comfy chair and layers to wear if it gets chilly out there. You will need a quality tire inflator and a pressure gauge preferably with a pressure release button.

Watch some YouTube videos on track driving, specifically on the track you are driving on. Try different instructors at the event, this is even more important if your instructors are volunteers and not paid directly by you. I have had maybe 9 instructors and 2 of them were good and really helpful.

It is very important to look ahead where you want to go - it sounds obvious but most people focus on connecting dots between turn in and turn out points and hitting the imaginary apex. It is not important to get your tires on to the rumble strips so you can connect dots On every corner, it is to maintain speed going around the track that it becomes almost impossible for you to maintain speed without getting you tires on those points.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:17 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

I believe those Track Night in America events are uninstructed, no? I did two back when I was first starting out, and in hindsight they were pretty unsafe as you’re completely on your own with a bunch of others in the same boat. I’d recommend a more traditional HPDE put on by the PCA or BMWCCA, or a handful of other well-known groups, although who knows when those will pick back up again. Check out the racing and drivers ed sub forum here, lots of good info there
The following users liked this post:
Patrick3000 (05-02-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 05:22 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayman
Food and hydration are very important for a good track day, make sure you have plenty. Take a comfy chair and layers to wear if it gets chilly out there. You will need a quality tire inflator and a pressure gauge preferably with a pressure release button.

Watch some YouTube videos on track driving, specifically on the track you are driving on. Try different instructors at the event, this is even more important if your instructors are volunteers and not paid directly by you. I have had maybe 9 instructors and 2 of them were good and really helpful.

It is very important to look ahead where you want to go - it sounds obvious but most people focus on connecting dots between turn in and turn out points and hitting the imaginary apex. It is not important to get your tires on to the rumble strips so you can connect dots On every corner, it is to maintain speed going around the track that it becomes almost impossible for you to maintain speed without getting you tires on those points.
Great tips!

Here's a few more to add to that which I like to do as well.

Have fun and drive at your own pace! If someone is tailing you then let them by. If you're tailing someone, don't get road rage just exit to the hot pits, gather your thoughts and head back on track. I've spun my car out several times because of the latter (I let tons of people pass all the time). My fastest times always occur when I'm smiling and having fun.

Bring a torque wrench + socket to torque your lug nuts beginning of the day.

Windex + microfiber cloth to clean your windows.

Painter's tape to make numbers if you don't have them.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:13 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
I believe those Track Night in America events are uninstructed, no? I did two back when I was first starting out, and in hindsight they were pretty unsafe as you’re completely on your own with a bunch of others in the same boat. I’d recommend a more traditional HPDE put on by the PCA or BMWCCA, or a handful of other well-known groups, although who knows when those will pick back up again. Check out the racing and drivers ed sub forum here, lots of good info there
I second this. Starting out with an instructor is the way to go.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:25 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Instructor is the best way to go, but TNIA makes track events more accessible and less expensive so there's something to be said for that too. FWIW my first time on track was uninstructed thanks to a goof by the organizer, and I did fine. It isn't insane to go alone as long as you view it as a cautious exploratory exercise and don't push yourself.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:29 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

TNIA has instructors they just don’t ride with you. They being said I would not use the word unsafe as I have attended many TNIA and have yet to see a novice incident. Go have fun and report back.

Peter
Old 05-01-2020, 11:36 AM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 85Gold
TNIA has instructors they just don’t ride with you. They being said I would not use the word unsafe as I have attended many TNIA and have yet to see a novice incident. Go have fun and report back.

Peter
I signed up for the Novice group, and it mentioned there would be instructors but not ride along like you stated. I will definitely report back after the even.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

To add to what Kayman and others have said: I would recommend a one day "High Performance Driving Clinic" soonest if you want to continue. Stick or PDK? If a stick be very methodical on your shifts until you do them without thinking. Don't do a money shift. Do you have an approved helmet? A balaclava or head/neck scarf. Wear the thinnest sole comfortable shoes. If you haven't already do some self study on threshold braking, early and late apex. Learn the traction circle. Keep your eyes up and look to the next turn. Even though you say the brakes have been serviced they are not track pads. You should be fine on OEM or OEM equivalent pads, but they will wear much faster and can be overheated and feel "greasy".. As others have stated give others and yourself room. Practice finding the braking point and apex. A good tire gauge and torque wrench are a must. There should be air at the track and you will bleed off a few pounds of air before hitting the track. Talk to others and determine a start PSI and target PSI like 36. Watch your fluid temps but also switch to TPMS to check the PSI. Creature comforts: chair, water, snacks.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

I recommend HPDE, too, but if you are going to do TNIA first, realize the intensity of being on track. Kayman had all the right points.
  • It will be physically and mentally hard, especially as they run these at night. It's not like the street.
  • Dress appropriately...good thin soled shoes, pants, long sleeved shirt, usually.
  • Look way ahead and prepare for the next corner.
  • Expect cars to spin in front of you...they probably will not, but they might...be prepared.
  • Use your mirrors on every straight to see who is coming and let them by.
  • Don't race everyone first time out; be humble and let them by, even if you think you are faster.
  • Prepare for the weather - cold, hot, dry, wet...it all matters.
  • Know the rules and obey them strictly.
  • Pay attention to flags and where the flag stations are on track...it is very easy to miss them in the intense driving.
  • On the cool-down lap, wave to the stations to thank them for keeping you safe.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions - being unsure is the way you get into trouble.
  • Go out last or near the back to give you plenty of track to play with on your first few laps, BUT watch out for those who intentionally go late, as they have fast cars and want to overtake everyone.
  • Don't pull the handbrake when stopped after running, as your brakes will be hot and you don't want issues with the brakes locking.
  • Finally...have fun...you will
matttheboatman (05-08-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 04:59 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

All great advice - I'd add...

* If you can get a map of the config before hand, study the track, look up commentary on the right line/etc. so you are less surprised.

* Someone may have mentioned this - but try to brake in a straight line as much as possible, then go into a turn... vs. trailbraking/braking as you start your turn/go into the apex. Not saying don't do it, but generally a good policy to minimize.

* Watch for clues on the track - distance turn-in markers, a post or tree - so you can remember where you need to brake/accelerate

Have fun - will be a blast.
Paiceyfan (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

If there isn't a sticky, all this advice should be collated and made into one. I would have loved it on my first track adventure.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:05 PM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daylorb
All great advice - I'd add...

* If you can get a map of the config before hand, study the track, look up commentary on the right line/etc. so you are less surprised.

* Someone may have mentioned this - but try to brake in a straight line as much as possible, then go into a turn... vs. trailbraking/braking as you start your turn/go into the apex. Not saying don't do it, but generally a good policy to minimize.

* Watch for clues on the track - distance turn-in markers, a post or tree - so you can remember where you need to brake/accelerate

Have fun - will be a blast.
This is one thing I have been doing, its the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval. I've been watching videos of drivers on the track and trying to memorize turns/turn-in markers and lines that they are taking. I've also spectated the event before so I have a decent idea of the turns.

Big thanks to everybody for the advice this is all super helpful.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:29 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJoe
This is one thing I have been doing, its the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval. I've been watching videos of drivers on the track and trying to memorize turns/turn-in markers and lines that they are taking. I've also spectated the event before so I have a decent idea of the turns.

Big thanks to everybody for the advice this is all super helpful.
Good call - you are clearly thinking this out/getting prepared. You'll do really well and have a great time. Plus you have a GREAT car for it.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:49 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 224 Posts

Here ya go Joe!

Main rule - have fun. Charlotte is a blast and a rare chance to experience a ROVAL track, especially at night.

Quick Reply: Tips for first Track Night