Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you downshift?
Heel/toe most of the time
40.60%
Heel/toe sometimes
21.80%
Auto/rev match most of the time
30.83%
I lug the engine or put car in neutral
3.01%
I drive a higher performing PDK
3.76%
CVT all or nothing
0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

For MT Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 02:09 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 703 Posts
Default For MT Drivers

Who still heel / toe rev matches themselves (no auto rev matching)? These are drivers cars and wondering why or why not drivers would not heel toe themselves. My 987 spyder doesn’t auto rev match so after coming back to MT after PDK it’s enjoyable to get back doing it myself. I leave Sport button on and rev match every time. I understand the convenience of auto revving since I did that with my M4 half the time.

no judgement, just curious if this is a lost art or if still alive. all of my MT driving buddies auto rev.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:15 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

When going straight, I double clutch when I downshift except for 6th to 5th because the gear ratios are too close.

Heel and toe if I need to come out of the corner fast.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I enjoy the Heel/Toe process and do it religiously when downshifting although I’ll admit I’m not that good at it.
The following users liked this post:
SgtFarva (07-20-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:09 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Heel and toe almost all the time for me. I'm ashamed to say that after driving manuals for over 20 years I only learned to heel and toe properly when I got my 2012 Cayman 3 summers ago. Every car I ever had just didn't feel setup well for heal and toe whereas the Porsche pedal placement is so good (I love the big slanted gas pedal!) that it makes it easy. I've also got good at heel and toe in my Golf R after adding a gas pedal spacer that aligned the gas pedal with the brake pedal.

H&T is a fun little skill to master that makes driving a MT even more fun.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:21 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

When I’m coasting or slowly coming to a stop I’ll just put my right foot completely on the accelerator and blip it when down shifting. I’ll heel toe when I’m rapidly decelerating, usually at the track or last minute braking.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:41 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've gotten lazy. Now rev match most of the time. As soon as the car is fully up to temp, sport+ and auto rev match.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:17 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I can't heel toe but I do rev match all my manual cars in downshift. One car I have to double clutch downshift.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:56 PM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

I find it easier to use my toe. Heeling feels very awkward.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

The pedal box doesn't feel right for me, but I have yet to find one that I could heel/toe effectively since my Nissan 240SX. Especially now with auto-rev matching, I just haven't developed the habit.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:57 PM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Heel / toe if braking also, of course. Just rev match if shifting down to accelerate. I've got a couple of different heel / toe techniques I use. One pair of shoes I wear (Keen sandals) are very wide, so I can easily use the right side of my foot to blip the gas while braking (ie foot more or less straightforward). In my Birkenstocks, which are a lot narrower, I turn my foot and brake with my toe and heel the gas. Both work. I rarely double (de)clutch - perhaps if the transmission is really cold. It's mostly not necessary.

I'm a MT nut - I even do this **** in our Subaru Crosstrek, which we bought because it's one of the few 4 seater cars you can buy new with a stick.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:48 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I enjoy the Heel/Toe process and do it religiously when downshifting although I’ll admit I’m not that good at it.
For me, I don't expect perfection every time, it's the thrill of seeing how many times I can do it really well each time I go driving.

Originally Posted by KrisA
Heel and toe almost all the time for me. I'm ashamed to say that after driving manuals for over 20 years I only learned to heel and toe properly when I got my 2012 Cayman 3 summers ago. Every car I ever had just didn't feel setup well for heal and toe whereas the Porsche pedal placement is so good (I love the big slanted gas pedal!) that it makes it easy. I've also got good at heel and toe in my Golf R after adding a gas pedal spacer that aligned the gas pedal with the brake pedal.

H&T is a fun little skill to master that makes driving a MT even more fun.
pedal placement, throttle response and shoes have a lot to do with how practical it is to do all the time. I keep toying with Sport mode on and off in the Spyder and I just need to choose one setting so my feet can get used to blip pressure.

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The pedal box doesn't feel right for me, but I have yet to find one that I could heel/toe effectively since my Nissan 240SX. Especially now with auto-rev matching, I just haven't developed the habit.
Interesting comment as the comment directly above is kind of opposite. Just shows everyone that each driver/car combo is unique in what they are comfortable with.

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
Heel / toe if braking also, of course. Just rev match if shifting down to accelerate. I've got a couple of different heel / toe techniques I use. One pair of shoes I wear (Keen sandals) are very wide, so I can easily use the right side of my foot to blip the gas while braking (ie foot more or less straightforward). In my Birkenstocks, which are a lot narrower, I turn my foot and brake with my toe and heel the gas. Both work. I rarely double (de)clutch - perhaps if the transmission is really cold. It's mostly not necessary.

I'm a MT nut - I even do this **** in our Subaru Crosstrek, which we bought because it's one of the few 4 seater cars you can buy new with a stick.
Haha, why not? the less pressure on any car's transmission/drive train the better, right?

------------------------------
Looks like a good 20-25 people utilize heel/toe to some degree which is awesome. I would expect to see much more auto/rev if we opened it up outside of RL, but who knows!

My personal thoughts are that since auto/rev match exists, many drivers tend to go for the convenience and safety of doing that instead of turning it off. I can only assume manufacturers started adding auto/rev to their cars for slight performance gains or to continue to attract drivers to manuals???
Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 PM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

For situations where I have to brake, (possibly turn) and then accelerate, I heel-toe downshift almost all the time. That's one of the main reasons I have this car. It's plain fun. Even when I don't get it 100% right, it's still fun as it gives me an incentive to get it right the next time. That little dopamine rush from a well executed shift can't happen in an auto-blip or PDK.

For me, this is one of the main pleasures of driving - a skill to hone and refine, because it'll never be perfect.

My H-T technique is done purely with the ball of my foot rolling side to side. No heel at all. Since I don't have very large feet, I need to modify the pedal configuration so I can reach the accelerator. I've had to do this on almost all my MT cars. Some say the 981 has good pedals from the factory for H-T, but that's dependent on your foot size and your particular technique.
joliver3 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 04:49 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't have sport chrono on my 981 so manual downshift rev match almost all the time and heel toe only when driving much more spiritedly.

Seems like people often lump these two things together and I can understand why as rev matching is obviously required for heel toeing but to me they can serve independent purposes. Also really I find heel toe works best on these cars if you are driving hard but otherwise rev matching is needed much more for smooth operation downshifting at any time.

E.g. I down shift rev match

When approaching / slowing down for a red light that I anticipate might turn green by the time I approach and I am at the front of the queue. I'm not braking much in this situation just coasting towards the light and as my speed naturally drops, downshift rev match to get in to the right gear to accelerate if the light does turn green.

Similar concept as above but for turns/bends/corners or turns at intersections where I'm not braking that aggressively.

When on the freeway in higher gears and need to drop down a gear or two for quicker passing.

Don't really follow the double clutching on downshifting comments or why its needed but then I was not of driving age or maybe even born when manual gearboxes needed double clutching, to me it feels like that would slow down the whole operation of downshift rev match which I try to do in a quick/continuous motion of clutching in, moving shifter to lower gear and blip of the throttle and release clutch.

E.g. the downshifts you can see throughout this video are how I do them (or aim to anyway)...don't see any pause in neutral or see his leg appear to push clutch in twice during the downshift:

Forgot to add if I did have sport chrono I probably would use the auto rev match feature at least some of the time. While I do love performing a well executed rev match or heel toe correctly on my own sometimes depending on speed or how many leg presses you just did at the gym :-P it just doesn't happen exactly right. It is also not so forgiving in the Cayman compared to some other cars as you def feel it if you didn't get it spot on and the throttle sensitivity for the blip varies a lot depending where in the rev range you are and whether in sport mode or not so sometimes it would be nice to just enjoy the other aspects of driving let the computer do the rev match for you and not feel crappy for not executing the match perfectly.

Last edited by flat6ix; 07-13-2020 at 05:06 PM.
enzojr (07-17-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:50 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

Heel and toe when in the 914's or early 911. Must admit in the spyder I always put it in sport plus so it rev matches. Still feel like I'm cheating however!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:25 PM
Four Ring Circus
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I am usually in Sport Plus, so it auto blips for me. Funny to hear what people think about the pedal set up. I have found with the Porsche’s I have driven (991 and my 981), that my foot wasn’t close enough to the gas pedal to comfortably heel-toe unless the brake pedal was pressed harder- ie on a track with a lot of force. Around town I am barely dabbing the brake so my foot doesn’t quite ge to the gas pedal comfortably.
At the track- always Sport Plus woth auto blip as I am still newish and learning my technique- this helps prevent a mis-shift.

Quick Reply: For MT Drivers