Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden loss of spoiler and sport button function

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 05:38 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to update this thread. I finally got the sport button working. I had to buy a code to activate it even though the car shipped with it from the factory. I would think the Porsche dealer could have provided it, but didn't know about it or didn't want to.

My year long adventure is over. Most expensive cheap tool I've ever bought was that Foxwell...
Old 07-05-2022, 09:42 PM
emjohn43
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plantman77
Just to update this thread. I finally got the sport button working. I had to buy a code to activate it even though the car shipped with it from the factory. I would think the Porsche dealer could have provided it, but didn't know about it or didn't want to.

My year long adventure is over. Most expensive cheap tool I've ever bought was that Foxwell...
Where did you buy the code from?

I have a very similar scenario with my 987 - and suspect the coding, as you did, is incorrect. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2022, 09:25 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emjohn43
Where did you buy the code from?

I have a very similar scenario with my 987 - and suspect the coding, as you did, is incorrect. Thanks!
Bought it from Belauto.
They can be found on MHHAuto. They also are discussed in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...ispreloading=1
The following users liked this post:
emjohn43 (07-06-2022)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:31 AM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

I had a similar thing happen on my 2011 987.2 Cayman Base. My Foxwell NT530 showed up today so I hooked it up and scanned for hidden codes. 3 fault codes showed regarding something about the front turn signals/lights. I cleared them and then all of sudden the Sport mode and retractable spoiler buttons wouldn't work. I believe plantman77 cleared the same exact codes and lost the Sport and spoiler buttons right after that. Oddly, the spoiler button started working again out of blue. I didn't code anything. It just came back while I was scrolling around all the menus in the Foxwell unit.

For the hell of it, I uninstalled the steering angle sensor and then immediately installed it. Boom, all of sudden the Sport button worked BUT the damn spoiler button didn't work. So, I went found the spoiler retractable function and saw that it was set to "fixed". I changed it to "retractable" and then the spoiler button started working.

To say that I'm a bit spooked by the
Foxwell NT530 is an understatement. Clearly there is some issue with the way this thing communicates with the DME.
pnw987 (02-12-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 09:52 PM
Cyberdaemon
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Similar issue following a crash

Hello folks, sounds like you are discussing an issue that I am currently having on my 06 987.1 S. In Oct I got rear ended, badly, by a drunk driver and the car has just gotten out of the shop but had to be returned.
Operation of the two side by side "spoiler" and "Sport" has been impacted. At first, when you pushed the spoiler button, it activated the sport mode, seen on the instrument cluster, and the sport LED on the switch came on.
Pushing the sport mode button did nothing but I can't tell as you can't see the spoiler motion while driving (if ops were fully reversed) When I first picked up the car, the spoiler was up and eventually by pushing the buttons, it finally went down however I
have seen this before. Kinda sticks I would say or takes a longer push of the switch to get it down but not really relevant here. After a couple days as I was bringing the car back to the shop to fix the switch issue, both switches
became dead, no functionality at all. Off the top of my head, I would think the switches are okay. What do you guys think? I pick up the car tomorrow and I'll handle the repair, suggestions please, thank you.
Dave
Old 03-07-2024, 11:09 PM
WalkerT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you use a Foxwell or other to clear out the codes it can “uninstall” the control module from the gateway. You have to use the scanner (like NT530) go into the gateway and select the rear control module and reinstall it. On the main gateway screen it might says “installed” but when you select edit it will show that it is actually not installed. Once it is installed in the gateway. Then go to the rear control module and make sure the correct configuration is set for your options.

you can manually test the switch function in the diagnostic side of the scanner and go to the rear control module select test and there will be the option to extend and retract the spoiler to test the functionality.

Last edited by WalkerT; 03-07-2024 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Cyberdaemon
AutoX

Thank you and I don't have the equipment to do that and I am unsure what steps have been taken by the body shop. I'll know that tomorrow. I am not particularly concerned about spoiler operation, I really want my sport mode back. How are they related? I'll check into the scanner in the meantime
Old 03-08-2024, 09:03 AM
jim_hoyland
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plantman77
Hello I am new to the forum and I also have a new to me 987.1 Cayman S. I have had it for just over 2 weeks now.

Just started having a small issue, the manual spoiler button and sport button have stopped working. These were functional when I bought it, up until this morning when I noticed it.
The PSM button is still functional. I took apart the center stack and disassembled the switch, everything looks in good condition including the circuit board.

I did some searching I haven't found many things it could be, besides replacing the entire switch assembly which seems to have varying success.
Any help would be great.
I ended up replacing the entire module; its called a Stab Switch by Porsche. There is a uTube video where the switch is disassembled completely and cleaned.
Cyberdaemon (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 11:16 AM
Cyberdaemon
AutoX

I'll have the car later today and I will look that up as the shop said they had suspected a module. Did you replace it yourself?
Old 03-08-2024, 11:52 AM
jim_hoyland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberdaemon
I'll have the car later today and I will look that up as the shop said they had suspected a module. Did you replace it yourself?
Yes, I watched a uTube video. Very doable
I ordered mine from Suncoast Porsche in Oregon. They will need your VIN to match your car to the correct Stab Switch.( There are several variations of that switch )
One other thing I did: have your Porsche mechanic hook up a PWIS and open and close the spoiler. If he can operate the spoiler from the PWIS,it's the switch. If the PWIS cannot raise/lower the spoiler, then not may be something else.
G
Cyberdaemon (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:09 PM
Cyberdaemon
AutoX

Oh great as I retired a senior engineer so my capabilities and knowledge are good however I don't want to work on these cars. Too complex and risky if I get in trouble.
Most of the problems I see with doing so is getting to the problem vs actually fixing them. Your info is good and I'll have more today once I talk to the shop. I got enough money coming from loss of use to cover this kind of thing.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:18 PM
Cyberdaemon
AutoX

Can you tell me the full name of the module that you replaced? This issue appears to be progressing or the folks trying to fix it are possibly making things worse.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:34 PM
jim_hoyland
Rennlist Member

Stab Control Switch - Porsche
997-613–139-00

Sunset Porsche had the best price. Your VIN will determine the switches configuration

Last edited by jim_hoyland; 03-09-2024 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 03-09-2024, 08:45 PM
jim_hoyland
Rennlist Member

Once you remove the footwell cover boards, you’ll see how the switch comes out. I replaced the sticky temp controls too; there a great uTube on how to do that. And, it was a fun project !
Cyberdaemon (03-15-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:50 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have had an issue with the foxwell NT530 losing sport and sport+ button functions on my 987.2 Cayman R (Sport Chrono, PDK)

I cleared some fault codes and recoded the "CDR" as not required in the "gateway unit" since this isn't installed anymore (hasn't been for ages). Which seemed to resolve some residual PCM fault codes the car has had since the PCM was replaced w an aftermarket head unit before my ownership.

I then noticed that the sport and sport plus buttons no longer had any effect and none of the lights lit on the buttons or on the steering wheel. the "PSM off" and PSE buttons on the same switch panel continued to work normally.

At the suggestion of my Foxwell distributor, Gendan, I reinstated the CDR but that didn't resolve the issue.

I was about ready to take the car to a local Indy who have a legit PIWIS system to recode whichever modules were out of whack. But motivated by a couple of good suggestions here and some googling that indicated that these buttons are wired as inputs to the rear control unit which then communicates on to the other modules to engage sport/plus/launch.

I seem to have reinstated the buttons by visiting the diagnostics > rear control unit > live data and ticking the sport button option and monitoring the live data. Immediately this made the buttons work again.

I have a mystery no-start issue that predates the use of the foxwell nt530 , which resolved itself a few days ago, while I was doing some basic "test light" tests on the starter relay. Unfortunately that no-start issue seems to be back. The car started ok an hour or two before executing the procedure above. After establishing the buttons were working and I immediately unplugged the NT530 and tried to start the car again and it would not start, so while far from conclusive, it is suspicious. scratch that. I charged up the battery and it has come back to life - the no-start is a different issue.

It seems the NT530 is capable of making changes in ways that have unpredictable outcomes. And you may well get different behaviours on the same model of car depending on the options the car is fitted with.

I'm have a ticket open with Foxwelltech.us which they replied to quite quickly.

Last edited by alexjc4; 04-12-2024 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of spoiler and sport button function