Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden loss of spoiler and sport button function

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 03:38 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sudden loss of spoiler and sport button function

Hello I am new to the forum and I also have a new to me 987.1 Cayman S. I have had it for just over 2 weeks now.

Just started having a small issue, the manual spoiler button and sport button have stopped working. These were functional when I bought it, up until this morning when I noticed it.
The PSM button is still functional. I took apart the center stack and disassembled the switch, everything looks in good condition including the circuit board.

I did some searching I haven't found many things it could be, besides replacing the entire switch assembly which seems to have varying success.
Any help would be great.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:07 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Have you checked the fuse?
Old 05-29-2021, 08:45 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9eight7
Have you checked the fuse?
Yes, I took a look at the fuse booklet and checked some fuses. Everything else on the car is still working. Scanned it and there is no new codes in any modules.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 PM
plantman77
Advanced

I just tested the spoiler using the scan tool, I can manual activate it up and down with the tool. Still no button and no sport mode, maybe it is the switch assembly.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:55 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I can tell you the sport and spoiler button share the same input to the same module (forget the name). So its not surprising that that both failed together.

They both activate the same input through a voltage divider,, spoiler =120ohm, sport 240...

So this would definitely pont to an issue with the switch module or the connector.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (06-23-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 01:59 PM
plantman77
Advanced

I can get a new switch assembly, 997-613-137-00, its only about $100. If that doesn't fix it then I guess back to the drawing board.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:17 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd certainly diagnose the switch *** before I just throw parts at it. Check it out with a dvm.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:07 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Originally Posted by jscott82
I'd certainly diagnose the switch *** before I just throw parts at it. Check it out with a dvm.
Ive got the circuit board out of the switch, but honestly don't know how to check it with a multimeter. I don't have the pin out either.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by plantman77
I just tested the spoiler using the scan tool, I can manual activate it up and down with the tool. Still no button and no sport mode, maybe it is the switch assembly.
What module were you connected to when you did this test? That will tell you what module it is. If the tool is competent - you should also be able to monitor the switch signal that gets to the module.. another help in diagnostics. If it's something like a body control module - and it likely is - has the module gotten wet?
Old 05-30-2021, 04:20 PM
plantman77
Advanced

I take that back using on ohm meter I can measure 120 ohm from spoiler button to the pin, and 240 ohm from sport button to the same pin.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:39 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
What module were you connected to when you did this test? That will tell you what module it is. If the tool is competent - you should also be able to monitor the switch signal that gets to the module.. another help in diagnostics. If it's something like a body control module - and it likely is - has the module gotten wet?
The scanner is an NT510. The module in this scanner is called REAR CONTROL SYSTEM. Under live data I do not see a way to monitor the switch. It is raining where I am at all weekend but the car hasn't been driving in the rain recently.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Went and looked at mine....

Under the diagnostics - "Control Modules"

1. Select "VEH ELECTRICAL SYS Control System"
2. Select Function "LIve Data"
3. Live Data - select "Input Signals"
4. Custom List - Select "Button for rear spoiler"

5. Input Signals:

bredward (03-08-2024)
Old 05-30-2021, 07:20 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Thanks for the tip on the scanner I need to spend more time messing around with this.
So I test both the sport button and spoiler button, both switch to active, so the switches seem to be working no question. Also under active test I can light the sport button light.

This leads me to even more questions. At a loss at this point. I made some minor coding changes the other day, but only to the keys and the cornering lights, can't imagine that effecting this.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

It might be worth undoing the changes you made and see if that fixes anything. Not everything is accurate on the Foxwell. My '09 came with LED turnsignals, front and back. Looking at the foxwell - there were three setting options for the turnsignals.. 1st (and what it came set to) was nothing - no data entry. Second was regular bulbs, third was LEDs. I set my rear lights to LED's and immediately started getting bulb out warnings on the dash and a double-fast flash rate. I next set it to standard bulbs and it went back to normal. The action appeared to be reversed to what the Foxwell was displaying. So - worth doing a sanity check and undo any changes, just because..
Snakebit (05-31-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:53 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It might be worth undoing the changes you made and see if that fixes anything. Not everything is accurate on the Foxwell. My '09 came with LED turnsignals, front and back. Looking at the foxwell - there were three setting options for the turnsignals.. 1st (and what it came set to) was nothing - no data entry. Second was regular bulbs, third was LEDs. I set my rear lights to LED's and immediately started getting bulb out warnings on the dash and a double-fast flash rate. I next set it to standard bulbs and it went back to normal. The action appeared to be reversed to what the Foxwell was displaying. So - worth doing a sanity check and undo any changes, just because..
Undid all the coding changes.. no difference unfortunately. I was also in the GATEWAY module messing with the TPMS earlier, but everything is how I found it when I got the car. I would hate for this to be the first reason I have to bring the car to the shop haha but I am running out of things to check, especially when the scan tool shows the buttons activating.

I read somewhere else that potentially when there are features missing with the car a "handshake" procedure maybe necessary, but I don't know if it would apply in this scenario.

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of spoiler and sport button function