Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 09:34 PM
Olivershand1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic Leak

I have a 987 Boxster from 2000. It’s a 2.7L with the Tiptronic Gearbox. Recently my car went into tiptronic emergency run, while fluid was pouring from underneath. Got it towed home and refilled with new fluid. It still leaks from inside the bellhousing where the trans meets the engine. It takes about 10 minutes for the leak to start after the engine is started and put into gear. Any ideas why this may be happening?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Oliver - welcome to Rennlist.

A problem - there was no 987 Boxster in 2000. It was a 986 Boxster in 2000. You might do better asking this question in the forum for the 986 Boxster model.

As far as your leak - sounds as if the input seal on the transmission has died, or the seal on the torque converter. Either one will require pulling the transaxle out to fix it. Driving it with low transmission fluid is a mistake - it can cause very expensive damage to the transmission. If the fluid is "pouring" out of the bellhousing it's a significant leak, and I'd suggest you take it to a shop that can fix it before you ruin the transmission.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:34 AM
Olivershand1
3rd Gear

Sorry I meant 2005 Porsche Boxster. But thats exactly what I was thinking. Are there any other reasons it could be leaking before I pull the transmission? Maybe fluid lines or something along those lines? I’ve also never removed a transmission before and don’t know what I’m getting myself into. Theres very little online regarding the 987 transmission removal. Is it similar to the 986? If so I can follow the steps for the 986.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:35 AM
Olivershand1
3rd Gear

Also, what would make the leak delayed? It takes a good 10-15 minutes to even start dripping. Thanks for your reply!
Old 07-25-2021, 02:33 PM
987inOC
3rd Gear

Default Tranny leak

Originally Posted by Olivershand1
Also, what would make the leak delayed? It takes a good 10-15 minutes to even start dripping. Thanks for your reply!
Had the exact same problem a week ago, got off the fwy around 11p,m and the car wouldn't move forward, basically transmission wont engage right in the middle of a busy intersection off the 5 fwy.
I had to put it in manual to get it off the intersection and into a shopping strip were I called a tow. There was a stream of transmission fluid behind me and smoke coming off the rear of the vehicle.
The initial diagnosis is a transmission pump leak but waiting on my indy mechanic to pull the transmission and torque converter out to see the damage. Dealer asked $10K for a new tranny on an $11k car. Considering putting a used tranny in, this seems like a high risk problem with the Tiptronics transmission.
Anyone with opinions on if it is worth replacing with a used transmission that can potentially develop the same problem? When the car runs it is super fun to drive and this one is amazingly kept and maintained its hard to just scrap it.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:06 PM
987inOC
3rd Gear

Turned out to be broken transmission pump and valve body refurbish. About $4k to repair but she's up and running as well as before.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:46 AM
Ccrampo
1st Gear

Default Pump replacement

Originally Posted by 987inOC
Turned out to be broken transmission pump and valve body refurbish. About $4k to repair but she's up and running as well as before.
Did you repair yourself, if so can you give details? Any details would be helpful.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Leak