Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affordable 987.2 (Base) Diag Tool With Live Data Logging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:34 AM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Affordable 987.2 (Base) Diag Tool With Live Data Logging?

I was very disappointed to see that the Durametric does not have support for live data logging on the 987.2 base model because it uses a special Bosch ME 7.8.2 ECU:

As a result, I can't check important things like fuel trims, cam deviations, cylinder misfire/roughness, etc. I guess this model is kind of an oddball because it's runs the newer 9A1 motor, but doesn't have DI fuel injection, so they must not think it's worth supporting

Does anyone know if there are other affordable (sub $500) diagnostic tools that do live data logging on this model?

Or does one really need a PIWIS tester to do that type of logging?
Old 06-19-2021, 06:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Foxwell NT530 (around $160 with Porsche software):

And it does LOTS of other things the Durametric can't do - like some programming for customer selectable features (it enabled the sport/sport-plus lights on my sport flappy paddle PDK wheel..) It's about the best I've seen for the 987 series, and I own a Durametric, an iCarScan and the Foxwell. The Foxwell was the cheapest and the most competent for the 987. You can see everything it does using: https://www.foxwelltool.com/ext/support-fun-list.html (input the car, make/model, then the device - you can then view it by system...) I'd suggest ordering from them since they promise lifetime updates for free, and if you email them and ask for their best price - you might get a discount. https://www.foxwelltool.com/info/contact-us/ - Mine was $155 free shipping, no tax and delivered in 3 days. Support exists but isn't all that prompt - a problem with all the Chinese brand manufacturers I've found. Maybe support from SnapOn (for around $5000) is better - dunno, haven't asked my mechanic.

The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
scootr (11-26-2021), scottmcdaniel (09-07-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 08:25 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 137 Posts

Depending on what you want to view, you could also just use an OBD2 logger. I have the Torque app that I used on previous cars, and a cheap bluetooth OBD2 reader (like $15-ish, I believe) and I can view at least some of the items you mentioned. The only reason I say some is because I haven't looked for cam deviations or live misfires. I know I can see trims. I know I can see timing advance, as I wanted to see if I was getting knock-retard activity. I was actually hoping to see oil temperature, but that is not provided over OBD and requires reading the CAN bus.

I'm sure the Foxwell is a better way to go than this, but I already have this so I figured why not see what I can get.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:08 PM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys...

I actually used to have an NT510 for BMW/MINI scanner (a MINI Cooper is my DD) that was great initially, but with each software update seemed to get worse in terms of compatibility with my car, especially in simply connecting to the vehicle. A bit nervous to try Foxwell branded products again as a result.

It's nice to see the NT530 has live data support, but it also doesn't specify which 987s are supported. 09-12 (my gen) has a completely different DME than the 05-08 cars...

I actually use BimmerCode and BimmerLink on my phone now with the MINI, and they work fantastic, but only with MINI/BMW. If something equivalent existed for Porsche I'd be all over it.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 AM
sectachrome
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rk15000
Thanks for the replies guys...

I actually used to have an NT510 for BMW/MINI scanner (a MINI Cooper is my DD) that was great initially, but with each software update seemed to get worse in terms of compatibility with my car, especially in simply connecting to the vehicle. A bit nervous to try Foxwell branded products again as a result.

It's nice to see the NT530 has live data support, but it also doesn't specify which 987s are supported. 09-12 (my gen) has a completely different DME than the 05-08 cars...

I actually use BimmerCode and BimmerLink on my phone now with the MINI, and they work fantastic, but only with MINI/BMW. If something equivalent existed for Porsche I'd be all over it.
The NT530 works for the 987.2. Deilenberger has an 09 Boxster and I’ve used it on my 09 Cayman as well. There’s a lengthy thread about the tool around here somewhere...
The following users liked this post:
hlee96 (06-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Affordable 987.2 (Base) Diag Tool With Live Data Logging?