Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Electric Boxster? 'Say it ain't so, Joe'

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 06:36 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 77 Posts
Unhappy An Electric Boxster? 'Say it ain't so, Joe'

I guess it's inevitable, an Electric-Sports car from Porsche, that won't draw away from the gasoline 911 series.
The Boxster/Cayman sales are dismal, compared to the Macan, nearly 4:1, even 2:1 over the 911. The Taycan/Audi RS E-Tron is a different animal to me; I'd never get one.
So, I'm guessing the heads at Porsche see this as a win. I'm 71 and still infatuated with gasoline for my cars. At this point in my life, and to my end, I doubt I'l be getting an electric-anything as a daily driver. As long as I can pump gas down at the corner station, I'll be happy. I'm imagining the sale prices of the existing Boxsters/Caymans will increase from this. Prove me wrong.

Porsche 718 Boxster, Cayman to go fully electric, Mission R previews design, report says - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Last edited by ClemCLone; 09-23-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:57 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

It's just a matter of time that this happens to nearly all cars. I'm sure most of us love IC engines, but electric makes a lot of sense. And electric is a lot quicker! At the local autocrosses, I've been watching some Teslas and last weekend a Taycan (both large, heavy cars) put up times quicker than most of the 987s and 911s. It's all because of the acceleration, imagine what an electric Cayman could do!

I hear people say things like "But we've always had gas engines!", but if you think about it, it's only a little over a hundred years that IC powered automobiles have been around. Change is hard, but inevitable.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:04 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 160 Posts

to each his own ♫. but i suppose people said something similar about the horse and buggy...

i recently (at 70) used turo.com to rent a tesla model 3 for a day (i have a cayman and an aston vantage). very enjoyable. if i live long enough to need another car (questionable) i'll be more than satisfied to own a tesla. and be happy to avoid gas stations for the rest of my life.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 09-23-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:36 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I love technology, so I love EVs. It's a great technology that improves on ICE vehicles in nearly every way. I own an EV and I'm in line for another (F-150). That being said, the sensations of an ICE sports car can't be matched by an EV sports car IMO. Maybe that's only true for people born before 2000 but I don't think I'll ever give up ICE vehicles for EVs when it comes to fun driving. Hopefully the government lets me keep them.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:24 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 137 Posts

The one complaint I have heard from EV drivers (who are handling "aware") is that EVs tend to be very boring. Sure, they're great in a straight line and off the line, but do they keep the other "fun" aspects? I haven't driven a recent one, but when I drove an early version hybrid Camry, I hated it. Granted, I find Toyotas awful anyway, but this was worse than playing a racing game on my PS3. I can't imagine a Prius or other Toyota would be any different, but what about other brands?

I hope to drive a few and see what they're like... I haven't bothered because the car market is stupid right now, so I have no desire to pay that premium... I can wait. But the question stands, if anyone cares to answer it.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:48 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

I recently got the opportunity to drive both a Taycan Turbo and a Taycan Turbo S. They were like spaceships compared to the cars I had driven before, next level tech, amazing ride, sickness inducing performance. I came away thinking that if I was rich I'd totally get a Taycan (probably a 4S Cross Turismo) for my daily driver. Only real downside, leaving range and recharging out of the equation, was that in the auto-X the Taycan Turbo S had lots of understeer, way more than the 911 Turbo S I also got to drive. When the day was done I got back into my 6MT 987.2 Cayman and loved it even more than ever. While electric is the future I still enjoy a simple, relatively light, ICE car with a manual transmission.

The rumour mill also seems to indicate that we will get a new ICE Boxster/Cayman in 2024 which will be an evolution on the current car. It seems that the Porsche strategy which will be applied to both the Cayster and the Macan is to sell ICE and electric variants side by side for some time.

If they could get the weight of a BEV Cayster down to 3600lbs while still having a 600km range I do think it would be an amazing car. So long as one still had a manual ICE version in the garage as well!
Old 09-24-2021, 11:22 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn
The one complaint I have heard from EV drivers (who are handling "aware") is that EVs tend to be very boring. Sure, they're great in a straight line and off the line, but do they keep the other "fun" aspects? I haven't driven a recent one, but when I drove an early version hybrid Camry, I hated it. Granted, I find Toyotas awful anyway, but this was worse than playing a racing game on my PS3. I can't imagine a Prius or other Toyota would be any different, but what about other brands?

I hope to drive a few and see what they're like... I haven't bothered because the car market is stupid right now, so I have no desire to pay that premium... I can wait. But the question stands, if anyone cares to answer it.
with the battery weight down low the model 3 went around corners like it was on a rails. not surprising...but it's not light and weight is commensurate with range. it think it weighed about 3600-3800 lbs. and carried four adults comfortably.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:29 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn
The one complaint I have heard from EV drivers (who are handling "aware") is that EVs tend to be very boring.
From what I can tell, most (not all) of the current EV and hybrids are designed to be either luxo-barges or grocery getters. As such, they are equipped with numerous technical "nannies" and "self-driving" functions that render the vehicles bland and somewhat boring to drive (Which matches their purpose). I believe that a sports car EV without the "nannies" could be amazingly fun to drive and I hope that's where Porsche is going.

As an aside, in 1964, my best friend and I transplanted a 455 ci Oldsmobile engine out of a totaled Oids 98 into his 1949 Olds 88 street rod and went drag racing (I was 17 and he was 18). Fast forward 57 years....Recently, I've seen a couple of articles and videos that show cars with Tesla drive-trains transplanted into them and recently saw on Jalopnik that Ford is about to begin selling a 281 HP electric "crate motor." Here we go again!

As Joe Ely sang, "The road goes on forever...The party never ends."

Last edited by TMc993; 09-24-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:19 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

I know EVs are - and should be - the future.

I also know of the performance benefits.

However, EVs are not cars, but "mobility solutions".

My passion is for cars with engines that go "vroom".
The following 3 users liked this post by The Duke:
ClemCLone (09-27-2021), ekam (09-24-2021), Mansu944 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:31 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Hopefully we retain the right to operate ICE cars.
Looking around Washington it is not unthinkable that one day we may not.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket3004 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:38 PM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After driving my brothers Tesla 3, ummmm I will stick with my Boxster S Thank you very much. Eventually we all will be driving EV's and that will be a dark day. Yes they are efficient, and quick I guess, but the handling of his car was.......bad. it felt like you were driving a Sherman Tank. Gigantic, heavy and the opposite of nimble. EV's will be people movers, not drivers cars. Pry my 987.2 from my cold dead hands.......and then bury me in it.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:48 AM
hlee96
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts

We can put human on the Moon and eventually Mars, but why can't we create an EV with "REAL" realistic engine sounds/loudness to accelerator pressure/angle/etc with a choice of type of ICE (4/6/8/12 cyclinder) sounds at a touch of a button? Any sounds, even artificially sounding is better than the EV motor whirring. The engine/exhaust sounds are what I will miss the most with ICE
Old 09-25-2021, 01:26 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 353 Posts

the inevitability of the death of ICE has been greatly exaggerated. it's nothing like cars replacing horse and buggies.

the energy density of gasoline ensures that unless there are some serious advances in both battery technology and recycling capabilities they will not be fully replacing anything other than a local commuter vehicle anytime soon.

i also got a taycan loaner when the 991 was getting an oil change a few weeks ago. the instant torque was fun for a bit but i was bored within a few hours. could not wait to get the 911 back at the end of the day.

Last edited by jfischet; 09-25-2021 at 01:40 PM.
jkoravos (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 02:05 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
i also got a taycan loaner when the 991 was getting an oil change a few weeks ago. the instant torque was fun for a bit but i was bored within a few hours. could not wait to get the 911 back at the end of the day.

This was my experience. It was exhilarating for a few hours but I got bored with it quickly.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:35 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I think EVs are amazing. They are clean and quiet with rapid acceleration that is perfect
for other people.

Last edited by scootr; 09-26-2021 at 03:32 PM.
pecivil (09-27-2021)

Quick Reply: An Electric Boxster? 'Say it ain't so, Joe'