Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affordable Key Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Bernie987
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Affordable Key Replacement

I just bought my first Porsche. A 2006 Cayman S six speed manual. So far, I love the car, just getting though a few mechanical and paint issues that come wit ha 90k mile car.

It only came with one key. I'm looking to get a couple of more to be safe. I have been told the dealer is the only option, and they want $1200. I have run in to this before with other vehicles (like BMW), and it seems there is usually a work around. Can anyone point me towards some good options for affordable replacement keys? They will be spares, I don't need the integrated door remote, just something to start the car in a pinch.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2021, 12:02 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

It's not a totally satisfactory solution but I paid for one full keyfob and then purchased a separate metal key, for about $100. The metal key will only open the door, it will not start the car. But as most of my classic Doh moments involve me somehow locking the car with the key inside, this will serve to get me back into the car where the key is. I have it taped to the back of the license plate. I posted previously to make sure your manual door key lock is functional. There are plenty of threads here about what to do when the battery goes totally dead but the first step is using the key to physically unlock the door.

I doubt that there is a work around that avoids the dealer but I am all ears if there is.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:57 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

a couple of questions:

1) is your key one unit with a laser cut metal shaft with a black trianglular blob with three buttons on it attached to the end?

2) do you understand what is in and what the purpose of the black blob is?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:27 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernie987
I have been told the dealer is the only option, and they want $1200
I’d contact Porsche Cars North America. The prospect of nicking you $1,200 for an f’ng 🔑 is just unacceptable. If this is Porsche’s answer for a customer and enthusiast, it’s the wrong answer.

Don’t know if it’ll get you anywhere but this has to fall into the category of “are you kidding me?”
Old 11-25-2021, 10:53 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

1200 is pretty high, but it wouldn't surprise me if you had to pay 300-600 for one.

you might want to watch this:

although i suspect because he is essentially resetting an existing key that somehow lost it's way (ha) it may well not re-program a used key, although i suppose it's possible that it could program a new key, after all the ECU knows the password. so it's possible but not probable IMO, although it's worth a try or two.

and this:

this one might be your best bet. a new blade cut to match your blade and an un-programmed blob(fob) for less than 200 (in 2017) and an hour's labor at your friendly neighborhood porsche dealership. i have no idea whether or not these websites/companies are still in business.

(i think) the key has what is essentially a password in it that uses it to unlock the ECU when the key is turned. it won't boot without the password, and there is probably only one key in the world right now that has that password and you've got it. to duplicate a key with that password encoded can only be done for a price by a porsche dealer. if i found it necessary to go the dealer route i'd call around (nationwide if necessary, you can use the U.S. mail to send/receive the key and a phone call to correspond with them) to get the best deal. you never know, dealerships are run by individuals and they set the prices for this sort thing when there is practically no work involved.

OTOH, (i think) a real hacker (again search the internet for just such and individual) could probably take your key and a used key off of e-bay and program it with the password from your working key, it's simply on a tiny board inside the triangular black blob on the end of the key) and then you'd need to purchase a keyblade blank, have a locksmith or someone similar to laser etch it like the working blade on your key, so that you can use it unlock the door and turn the ignition. IOW the key has two functions: 1) to lock and unlock the door, glovebox, etc. and 2) send the password to the ECU once the ignition switch is turned. chances of this happening in your lifetime? ...about zero.

if i'm right about how this whole key business works (and i am fine with being corrected BTW) then it should be possible to turn the ignition with an unprogrammed new blade and non-functioning blob(fob) while holding your working key near the ignition switch and start the car. some day i might try that. good luck.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-25-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:05 AM
Bernie987
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
a couple of questions:

1) is your key one unit with a laser cut metal shaft with a black trianglular blob with three buttons on it attached to the end?

2) do you understand what is in and what the purpose of the black blob is?
-Yes, it is laser cut. I have had many BMWs and have places that can cut that key. Yes, the black security transponder style key.

-I do understand the key houses a security code matched to the vehicle ECU. With that said, I have never had a vehicle that I couldn't get a third party to add the key for a reasonable fee. My goal would be to buy a couple of blanks, get them cut, and get someone to program it for a reasonable fee.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello Bernie from CO. I had this exact issue when i bought my car. This is no cheap task to accomplish. Here is what I finally did after researching.
Bought a new fob from Porsche ( with my discount it was near 300. usd)
Bought a new blank key blade from flea day for about 8 dollars
Went to a locksmith that had the cutting machine ( if they can do a VW key, they can do a Porsche key) this was another 30 dollars
I paid a Porsche tech ( who was with his dealer a long time) to program it in his driveway off hours. He used a laptop, but had to obtain a "code" directly from Porsche factory. This would create an issue if trying to use anyone other than Porsche. I did research, and I live in an area with lots of places that duplicate automotive keys, and all said they could not do it and Porsche, only the dealer could. I got lucky. I paid him 75 plus tip, which came to 100.00 He had told me dealer would charge approx 250 if I went thru them.
So all told, my new, fully functional key cost me approx 440 dollars and some gyrations to get it done. You should add 150 to my cost, because I doubt you will find the tech I know.

This is a fairly low production car, unlike a Toyota or Honda, in where you can get this done easily.

It is expensive, and I consider it the Porsche Tax.

Tell us how you do.

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by redlightrich:
Gota996 (11-27-2021), TMc993 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 10:49 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh, and by the way the above video did not work for me. I tried it and nothing. I think that the avove video may work when a once functioning fob kind of looses it programming or is no longer recognized by the car. However, my understanding is the key that works with that program trick once did work with that car. As if it went dormant after not being used for some time?
Don't know for sure?

Good luck

Rich
Old 01-06-2024, 05:32 PM
Aeneas137
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
if i'm right about how this whole key business works (and i am fine with being corrected BTW) then it should be possible to turn the ignition with an unprogrammed new blade and non-functioning blob(fob) while holding your working key near the ignition switch and start the car. some day i might try that. good luck.
Btw, this does NOT work, I just tried it. the little "rfid nugget" can be moved from one fob to another but the fob, nugget, and metal key must be assembled or the car goes into panic mode.

I bought a replacement fob and swapped over the metal key and nugget and tried to program the fob by inserting the key, then holding the lock button for 30 secs...no luck. I do not believe it takes "minutes" for it to work. Those who got that to work said it takes 8 seconds. I believe this ONLY works if the fob is not paired after a battery change. I do not believe that works at all with a replacement fob even if you swap in your old nugget. So I'm at my wit's end. No choice but to take it to the Porsche dealer. I can lock/unlock and start the car with the key + fob unit, but the buttons won't work even with a new fob. That means the old fob is probably fine. I assumed it was broken but probably not.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:27 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I happen to be a cheap pr*** too. and here is what I have learned. There is no cheap way unless you find a locksmith with a coder. The coder needs to be able to do Porsche, not just "code keys". The dealer is about $500 all -in per key, Thats a new fob programmed using your blade.
Also in the process of trying to make one good key out of 2 keys, Where one had the ability to start the car and the other had the ability to work the buttons... The key blade must match the pill in the key. Yes the ignition of the car will accept more than one blade to turn the ignition, but of that blade does not match the programmed pill, It will not start the car.

Quick Reply: Affordable Key Replacement