Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for dependable aftermarket tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 05:21 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Just disable TPMS. Has worked great for me!
if it were only that easy i'd do it right now even though my sensors are feeling fine! but no dealer or independent that i've asked will disable a federally mandated law requiring a safety device. it would be like asking them to remove the seat belts or air bags. ....not happn'n.

there seems to be an expensive device one can purchase and then run the risk of screwing up every system driven by a computer in your car by using it to disable the dreaded TPMS, but i suspect few have tried and even fewer have succeeded.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:14 AM
Stash987
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
if it were only that easy i'd do it right now even though my sensors are feeling fine! but no dealer or independent that i've asked will disable a federally mandated law requiring a safety device. it would be like asking them to remove the seat belts or air bags. ....not happn'n.

there seems to be an expensive device one can purchase and then run the risk of screwing up every system driven by a computer in your car by using it to disable the dreaded TPMS, but i suspect few have tried and even fewer have succeeded.
Disabled mine with my durametric pro with no issues.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:44 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I deal with this everyday at the shop. We use qwik sensors. We have a tool that can program the code from the old sensor into the new sensor. So the car doesn't even know it was changed.

what you have to watch it the fq it transmits at. There are two, so buy a sensor that transmits both freq.

if you get me the code from the old sensor, I'd be glad to program one and send it to you. The code can be rear with a proper reader or it is also on the sensor itself. email me if I can help khuber1301 at yahoo
The following 3 users liked this post by Shark Attack:
Charlie C (05-01-2022), Schwinn (05-01-2022), Van Larson (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 01:06 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
I deal with this everyday at the shop. We use qwik sensors. We have a tool that can program the code from the old sensor into the new sensor. So the car doesn't even know it was changed.

what you have to watch it the fq it transmits at. There are two, so buy a sensor that transmits both freq.

if you get me the code from the old sensor, I'd be glad to program one and send it to you. The code can be rear with a proper reader or it is also on the sensor itself. email me if I can help khuber1301 at yahoo
Thanks for the offer but I already ordered 4 sensors (HUF sensors). They're due this week and I have a shop who will install them.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
...if you get me the code from the old sensor, I'd be glad to program one and send it to you. The code can be rear with a proper reader or it is also on the sensor itself. email me if I can help khuber1301 at yahoo
Nice offer...Good on you.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 06:04 PM
bluebonnet
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Before I sold my '12 CS, I had Discount Tire replace all four TPMS sensors. Total cost was $262 installed -- and they worked flawlessly. I believe the sensors were from HUF.
I also got mine at Discount Tire for $60 each installed. Never had a problem with them once I did the tire pressure monitor reset, 2011 Boxster. I believe they used Hazet sensors. I also used them for my Lamborghini and I did not even have to reset for that car to work. If your shop does not use Hazet, consider getting those and then having a shop install.
Charlie C (05-01-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 06:02 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan

Who was the fearmonger that explained it like that?!? Just as the other person mentioned, I too used a Durametric Pro to disable it. Easy and reversible. Been done plenty of times and there's a step-by-step DIY guide right here on the forums.

Just like heated seats and Sport Chrono, TPMS was an option on the 987 in the early years so the coding is basically as simple as de-selecting from the car's spec in the DME. TPMS is not like airbags and seatbelts lol. Plenty of Caymans left the factory without it.

Last edited by Zach L; 05-02-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:02 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
I believe these were what I bought for my 2012 Cayman 3 years ago:

https://www.tpms.com/Porsche-Boxster...he-boxster.htm

Still going strong, would buy again, and would never pay Porsche prices for these things.
I ordered these last week and had them installed today. $140 for the sensors and $100 for installation.

MUCH better than $1700!

THANKS!
KrisA (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:41 AM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad it worked out, I am getting another set of wheels for the track, I will buying another set, my shop doe not charge to install these if I am tires mounted, it's crazy what Porsche charges for these.
Charlie C (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:07 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts

Didn't know that, but not totally surprised. Discount Tire is in the process of acquiring Tire Rack. (If it hasn't happened already)
Oh NO!!!!! I don't much like DT and I really like TR.. Can U pls post your source?
Old 05-14-2022, 09:54 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

There are a number of links available; this is the first one I pulled this morning...
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43387/...y-that-matters
Old 05-14-2022, 02:27 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts

There are a number of links available; this is the first one I pulled this morning...
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43387/...y-that-matters
TYVM.

Quick Reply: Looking for dependable aftermarket tire pressure sensor