Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 S Black Edition Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 01:42 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 987.2 S Black Edition Exhaust

Hello. Can someone help? I've had a 2012 987.2 S Black Edition for a few years now and haven't been able to find a simple solution for the exhaust. I have the PSE, but feel like it is pretty tame for how awesome the car is.

What can I do without spending a ton of money? I do not want catless headers because of the smell and CEL. I've been considering the carnewal 200cell cats, but not sure if they are really a lot louder? I haven't heard them. Is there a catback solution like straight pipes with a small resonator or something? I want it to sound good. I like the high pitch whine and low pitch broad spectrum of sound in some I've heard.

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:49 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 270 Posts

Best option for you will be a valved aftermarket exhaust. You can hook up the factory vacuum lines for your PSE to the aftermarket valves and control it as if it's stock but get the additional volume you're looking for.

That said, I've got catless and the smell is really overblown IMO. The exhaust definitely is more apparent, but it's a subtle increase and only experienced if/when the wind is blowing just the right way while to car is stationary. Running high-flow "Sport" catted headers will provide the increase in sound, volume and tone you're looking for, just not cheap at all. Additionally, 200-cell cats are often not going to avoid the CEL on the 987.2 models, as the emissions system is much more sensitive than the 987.1 models.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:00 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Awesome, thank you for the reply. I was considering the Carnewal cat exchange, but seems like a lot of shipping back and forth, giving up my stock headers, finding an installer that will fix the potentially sheared bolts... So the catback option seems nicer to deal with. Is there a system out there that is very much louder than the PSE without sounding bad? (for a reasonable amount of money) And, do you think a catback can sound louder/ better than just the 200 cell cat upgrade? I haven't seen or heard many 987.2s.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:07 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Also, what are your thoughts on straight piping cat back, but with small resonators to decrease some boom?
Old 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

subscribed...
The following users liked this post:
blackharp (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:37 PM
bjd8386
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do find an aftermarket exhaust and would be willing to sell your stock PSE I might be interested.
blackharp (03-22-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 10:36 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

FD motorsports or Cantrell can do internal can mods like Gert at Carnewal fyi. Headers w/200 c cats recommended.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:00 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van Larson
FD motorsports or Cantrell can do internal can mods like Gert at Carnewal fyi. Headers w/200 c cats recommended.
Looking at their website, they only offer the muffler. Do you have the 200 cell cats? Is there a big difference with the PSE, or would I need mufflers too? I really need more sound at this point. But good sound.

Last edited by blackharp; 03-23-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:14 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default X haust

I do not have PSE. Started with just the can mod— better but no cigar. Your choice of reputable mfr. (I have SOUL fwiw) catted (200 cell) headers in conjunction with can mod is fine by me….power, breathing and sound magic.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:17 PM
blackharp
Advanced

I do not have PSE. Started with just the can mod— better but no cigar. Your choice of reputable mfr. (I have SOUL fwiw) catted (200 cell) headers in conjunction with can mod is fine by me….power, breathing and sound magic.
Calling around local places, they do not want to change the manifolds/ cats. I'm wondering if a catback can achieve what I am after. I almost want to see what a muffler delete will do, but it may be too loud? And what is the can mod?
Old 03-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Install

Find another Indy— biggest issue is removing old manifold studs which can break requiring new bolts then aligning everything F to B before torquing. Probably a 4-5 hour labor IIRC.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:06 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Anyone have just a catback like the fabspeed supercup or MEISTERSCHAFT gt racing, or any other mildy aggressive solution? Also considering having the shop weld some tubes to an x pipe and resonator from the cat back. Just came back from the shop and they said CEL codes and other issues aren't fun to deal with on the headers, but they would do it. It also looked like the stock manifold was basically a header. I was considering a muffler bypass or straight pipe, but I think that may not be refined.

I really wouldn't mind quite a bit more aggressiveness. F1 inspired? Someone told me SOUL was actually made in China...for that kind of money I'd rather a local craftsman help me.

Last edited by blackharp; 03-23-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:09 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Header

Stock manifolds and cats are quite restrictive. 200 cell cats w/02 bunges have not once ever never caused a CEL in 3 years…
blackharp (11-27-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 05:13 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Stock manifolds and cats are quite restrictive. 200 cell cats w/02 bunges have not once ever never caused a CEL in 3 years…
I appreciate what you are saying, but I am telling you what the people locally are telling me from their experiences installing these things. They will usually only do a catback, or for example, one shop would rather take the muffler and do a GT-style mod to it, but not touch the manifold. Some won't work on a Porsche at all. There is a hipster garage on South Congress that work on any exotic, but they charge outrageous prices to the tourists.

Everyone and their company says all others' products are poor quality, so it is hard to make a decision. I've also heard a lot of those headers start with Chinese made parts, so I'm a little baffled (no pun intended) at the pricing. I also don't really want to deal with the customs fees, shipping, taxes, core charges, installation, boxing of my system, shipping out, etc., if I can't know for certain what it will even sound like before going to all that trouble. Unless.... someone says its more than worth it.

Last edited by blackharp; 03-23-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:36 PM
McSwine
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure where "locally" is but it's a shame you don't have an indy shop to do what I consider a fairly basic job (R&R manifolds/replace almost certain broken bolts). Sounds like you need to go the catback route, given the circumstances.

With regard to Carnewal, my experience was great. I would and probably will do business with them in the future.

Quick Reply: 987.2 S Black Edition Exhaust