Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric: Previous owner did cables... Should I do shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 08:50 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Numeric: Previous owner did cables... Should I do shifter?

One nice surprise thumbing through the service records for my newly acquired 2011 Cayman 6MT is that I discovered a previous owner (the one before my seller) installed Numeric shifter cables.

It was an upgrade I had considered even before getting the car, based on all the glowing reviews. But he didn't do the shifter, and I'm tempted to. The stock shifter isn't bad, so I'm debating.

I'm planning on upgrading the stereo head unit, so I'll have some of the dash apart already, and I figure, what the hell, right? (I figure install will be super easy, since the Numeric cables are already in place.)

Just curious if anyone has had the experience of upgrading only the cables, then deciding later to do the shifter, and if it's all that.

I'm assuming the cables have more to do with bulletproof reliability, and the shifter is all about the feel.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:40 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The shifter in my opinion is purely vanity, and yes I bought it. I also removed the center console trim so I get to look at it. Guessing it adds very little to the feel. I tried the short shift position but didn’t like it for track use, the normal shift throw works great and is reliable.
Riders in the car always comment how cool it looks. Does need a funner shift ****.
The following users liked this post:
tiiger (04-13-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:10 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

I hear ya.

Interesting, though, the videos showing the play in the shifter before and after.

But yeah, I'm gonna order it.

Also assuming I'll use the middle/normal position.

Wonder how much adjustment the cables will need, going from stock to numeric shifter.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:59 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I’d bet very little to none. Same trans.
tiiger (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 06:17 PM
sectachrome
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

I also think the stock shifter in my car is pretty good. I have the updated OEM cables. But I recently impulse bought the Numeric shifter anyway. I don't really want a short throw, but an improvement in feel would be cool. We'll see if I'm ever bored enough to want to disassemble the whole console to install it.
tiiger (04-13-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 06:23 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sectachrome
I also think the stock shifter in my car is pretty good. I have the updated OEM cables. But I recently impulse bought the Numeric shifter anyway. I don't really want a short throw, but an improvement in feel would be cool. We'll see if I'm ever bored enough to want to disassemble the whole console to install it.
Lemme know and we can facetime during the process
sectachrome (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 06:24 PM
McSwine
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed the OEM SSK on recently upgraded OEM cables. No complaints.
Van Larson (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 04:53 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

if the shifter support structure is as flimsy as the plastic unit on my 2007 cayman, then the numeric shifter with its metal structure is a vast improvement that was very, very noticeable. one of the very few aftermarket items i've ever bought that was worth its exhorbitant price. ....and it is exorbitant!

...i'm still running the OEM cables BTW.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-13-2023 at 04:56 AM.
tiiger (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 04:00 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I have the cables only and it transformed the shifting more than enough. Anything beyond is overkill in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:01 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

anyone knocking the Numeric shifter hasn't tried it.
my 987.1 had Numeric cables installed when i bought it; with stock shifter which felt very cheap and flimsy.
I installed a Numeric shifter and the shift feel was dramatically improved; Pretty much the best of any Porsche I've ever driven (and that's a lot)
The following 3 users liked this post by joseph mitro:
cavediver32043 (04-17-2023), hueyhoolihan (04-14-2023), tiiger (04-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 07:46 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

There seems to be quite a bit of concern on the Numeric Marketplace thread that orders are going unfulfilled and unacknowledged.

I dont have an opinion on the Numeric shifter, but I do know that replacing the old cables with the OEM new ones plus a GT3 shifter made my old Boxster S shift very well. No slop, no NVH.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:26 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy7777
There seems to be quite a bit of concern on the Numeric Marketplace thread that orders are going unfulfilled and unacknowledged.

I dont have an opinion on the Numeric shifter, but I do know that replacing the old cables with the OEM new ones plus a GT3 shifter made my old Boxster S shift very well. No slop, no NVH.
I placed an order and actually gave them a call after.

Sounds like there's one guy assembling these things, and they have a bunch of orders. (Plus apparently his wife is about to go into labor...)

He said he hoped to have it shipped out within two weeks.

We shall see.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:23 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Pretty sure the Function First Shift Right kit do the same thing, just not as fancy.

https://www.function-first.com/produ...right-solution
Old 04-14-2023, 02:27 PM
sectachrome
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777

Yeah. I saw that and decided to order it from a 3rd party vendor instead assuming they had them in stock. That was 2 weeks ago - haven't heard anything since. So I assume the issue is affecting vendors as well. I might just cancel.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:50 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Yeah. I saw that and decided to order it from a 3rd party vendor instead assuming they had them in stock. That was 2 weeks ago - haven't heard anything since. So I assume the issue is affecting vendors as well. I might just cancel.
Me too, was initially gonna order it from Soul, and I actually asked the guys at Numeric and they said most places were in a drop-ship situation. Called Soul and they said the same thing. Not in stock, and it just gets drop-shipped from Numeric.

I'm not in a hyper hurry, so I'll probably just keep my place in the queue.

Quick Reply: Numeric: Previous owner did cables... Should I do shifter?