Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Restoring Factory Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 01:39 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomkeva
Hey everyone just got the quote from the dealership they told me "it's probably gonna be very expensive" so I ask how much assuming I'm going to hear 12,000 and then they say 600-1000. (I look young so maybe they thought I couldn't handle that) I was relieved. The only thing they said is the tech wants to study the "bus system" I don't know if that's a typo but I've never heard of that. I'm glad it's not 12,000. I was considering just putting the unit in there or buying the radio delete. The idea of a radio delete is pretty neat but for this car it's a black storage tray so a big hole on the center console instead of a panel that covers the missing radio. But I'm going to be going through with getting the oem unit installed and will update with anything else I learn
By "BUS system" they mean the "canbus" system. This is the communications network that links all the sytems and modules together.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:42 PM
Tomkeva
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
hmmm... is this a porsche dealership we a talking about? because the two porsche dealerships near me said they won't install used equipment at all. everything must be new and bought through them (at an exorbitant price), but it they are willing to do it for that little, that's great! maybe it's worthwhile for me to re-visit this...
Yes it's the Porsche dealership in Reno Nevada they don't mind that it's a used unit or that they are removing non oem parts. It surprised me. Reno Nevada is kind of a trashy city so maybe there less strict then a Porsche dealership in LA
Old 04-19-2023, 11:04 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

i was dealing with porsche in livermore, ca and walnut creek, ca. maybe a bit snooty?

...but apparently, there's no snoot in reno. i figured it was a corporate edict. guess, not.

anyway, good for you!
Old 05-02-2023, 05:22 PM
Tomkeva
AutoX

Hi everyone. They fixed the radio. Here is a picture of the invoice. The cd changer in the front was removed ( I'll eventually buy that) but for now the radio and cd player on the unit work. I'm super happy I don't have to look at a TV screen that can't be turned off when driving anymore. From what I hear the radio programmed to the car without any issues. So if you want to do a pccm conversion or replace your cdr24 like I did it should work. I did give them the paperwork that had the vin of the donor vehicle.
I do not know if that is necessary to the programming process

Old 05-03-2023, 07:08 PM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by ekam
Giving a quote for 12k to fix your wiring is basically a nice way to tell you to f**k off.
This.

Quick Reply: 987 Restoring Factory Stereo System