Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Restoring Factory Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 09:18 PM
Tomkeva
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 Restoring Factory Stereo System

When I bought my 2007 Cayman 2.7l I saw it had the original head unit taken out and was replaced with a cheap pioneer screen. (Unfortunate) I bought a replacement cdr24 and took out the pioneer only to see a bunch of aftermarket wiring and an aftermarket amp installed in the front trunk. The oem amp is still in there with no wires plugged into the side of it. I'm taking the car into the dealer to get the head unit set to the cars memory (which I hear is necessary) and to purchase any missing parts that were lost. My goal is to restore this to the way it was originally. I'm not too worried about price as long as I know I'm not getting charged for things I don't need. I'm assuming ill need to buy a new harness but any other tips/ knowledge about this is appreciated. Thank you.

Here are some pictures of everything the way it is right now.

​​​​​​​
Old 04-17-2023, 12:50 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Is the original a Bose unit? What about the speakers? Have they been replaced?

if you were happy with the sound and just didn’t like the head unit, I’d keep the aftermarket amp and just connect the CDR-24 to it. The base sound system can best be described as underwhelming.
The following users liked this post:
Kbasa (04-19-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 03:59 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Would it be comparable in cost and effort with PCCM+ for 987.1?
Old 04-17-2023, 07:57 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

the truth is, what with free apps for listening to music, and radio, and for navigation and for phone calls, all with voice-activated interfaces, capable of being rendered on noise-cancelling earbuds, stereo systems are, IMO, pretty much unnecessary in automobiles. the audio/entertainment/video systems, if they have one, in my personal cars are not used these days. one really needs an environment much better suited for listening than that capable of being provided by an automobile at speed. my cayman is a good example of an environment that is decidely NOT suitable for providing ANY fidelity no matter the source. there's just way too much road noise from tires and windows, etc. for that to happen.

FWIW, my dealer wanted about $12,000 to restore the OEM stereo system to stock in my cayman...i didn't ask for the details. .

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-17-2023 at 01:39 PM.
BondJ (04-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:21 AM
McSwine
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I can understand wanting to have the stock look but since all the wiring has been hacked you might consider getting a higher quality aftermarket unit.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:09 PM
Tomkeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Is the original a Bose unit? What about the speakers? Have they been replaced?

if you were happy with the sound and just didn’t like the head unit, I’d keep the aftermarket amp and just connect the CDR-24 to it. The base sound system can best be described as underwhelming.
This is more of a cosmetic thing. The aftermarket stereo systems look dorky in sports cars. I just want it to look original. I never listen to music anyways.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:13 PM
Tomkeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
the truth is, what with free apps for listening to music, and radio, and for navigation and for phone calls, all with voice-activated interfaces, capable of being rendered on noise-cancelling earbuds, stereo systems are, IMO, pretty much unnecessary in automobiles. the audio/entertainment/video systems, if they have one, in my personal cars are not used these days. one really needs an environment much better suited for listening than that capable of being provided by an automobile at speed. my cayman is a good example of an environment that is decidely NOT suitable for providing ANY fidelity no matter the source. there's just way too much road noise from tires and windows, etc. for that to happen.

FWIW, my dealer wanted about $12,000 to restore the OEM stereo system to stock in my cayman...i didn't ask for the details. .
12000? Dang that's just pointlessly expensive I was okay with a couple grand but that's too much I'll let everyone know what they quote me if it's crazy pricing then I'll just install the unit in not functioning. I never listen to music anyways (it's a sports car gotta time the shifts)
Old 04-18-2023, 06:10 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts

If it’s only the look you’re after, just stick the original in the hole and be done with it.

hueyhoolihan: if you think a sound system is wasted in a Cayman, try listening to music in a Boxster at 70 with the hood down…
Old 04-18-2023, 11:19 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

or the absurdity of one on a harley!
Old 04-18-2023, 11:20 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Giving a quote for 12k to fix your wiring is basically a nice way to tell you to f**k off.
ClemCLone (04-19-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 01:22 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

it appears that once the OEM system has been replaced, there's no going back. with aftermarket shops throwing up their hands with a, "we can't get past the programming requirements.", and the dealership's demanding that all parts be purchased through them (and i'm not sure that a new original head unit is even available for purchase anymore as about half an hour of googling produced bupkis) the prospects don't look good.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:22 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

or the absurdity of one on a harley!
Oh, god...I live in an area that is, unfortunately, very popular with the HD crowd. They come through in droves riding side-by-side, then sit at traffic signals, each with a stereo blaring different music. It is so absurdly stupid...
Old 04-18-2023, 11:24 PM
Tomkeva
AutoX

it appears that once the OEM system has been replaced, there's no going back. with aftermarket shops throwing up their hands with a, "we can't get past the programming requirements.", and the dealership's demanding that all parts be purchased through them (and i'm not sure that a new original head unit is even available for purchase anymore as about half an hour of googling produced bupkis) the prospects don't look good.
Hey everyone just got the quote from the dealership they told me "it's probably gonna be very expensive" so I ask how much assuming I'm going to hear 12,000 and then they say 600-1000. (I look young so maybe they thought I couldn't handle that) I was relieved. The only thing they said is the tech wants to study the "bus system" I don't know if that's a typo but I've never heard of that. I'm glad it's not 12,000. I was considering just putting the unit in there or buying the radio delete. The idea of a radio delete is pretty neat but for this car it's a black storage tray so a big hole on the center console instead of a panel that covers the missing radio. But I'm going to be going through with getting the oem unit installed and will update with anything else I learn
Old 04-19-2023, 12:12 AM
Mansu944
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You don’t drive with your hood down at all times???? 😂
ClemCLone (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 06:53 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

hmmm... is this a porsche dealership we a talking about? because the two porsche dealerships near me said they won't install used equipment at all. everything must be new and bought through them (at an exorbitant price), but it they are willing to do it for that little, that's great! maybe it's worthwhile for me to re-visit this...

Quick Reply: 987 Restoring Factory Stereo System