Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead door speaker (tweeter) - Bose package - How to approach it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 01:01 AM
CanadianCayman
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dead door speaker (tweeter) - Bose package - How to approach it?

Hello there,

I've recently noticed the tweeter in the driver door doesn't emit any sound. I've checked all other speakers in the car and they seem to all work. Also, the large speaker in the driver side door works fine.

This is on a 2007 Cayman S with the Bose package. There's an after-market Android unit with a MOST adapter installed.

I'm not sure how to approach this. I was hoping that the grill on the door is removable to access the speaker, but from my research, it seems like I have to remove the entire door panel. Can someone confirm?

I was thinking doing a visual check on the speaker first. Then probably test for continuity on the speaker wires, from the speaker to the amp. I need to check where the amp is exactly, and how the connections are.

I anyone has any suggestion, feel free to share! Thanks!

Here's a pic of the car, for motivation

Last edited by CanadianCayman; 04-26-2023 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:11 PM
CanadianCayman
4th Gear

After looking at the parts diagram for the door panel, I was able to confirm there's no way to access the speakers without removing the panel entirely. Annoying, but I don't have a choice.

I had a look at the service manual and found where the amp is. It's in the frunk, under the bottom panel where the tire fix kit is (that's for a 987.1; I believe it's under the passenger seat in a 987.2).

Bose amplifier schema on 987.1 Cayman

I also found the wiring diagram for the amp and speakers. The interesting part is that the dashboard speaker and door mid-range speaker are connected together to the amp. I will check the dashboard left speaker again to make sure it works in order to get an idea of what the problem would be. The part that confuses me is the rear speakers. There's one on each side in the car. But they're not on that diagram, I have no idea why.

Bose amp wiring schematics

Last edited by CanadianCayman; 04-27-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 12:54 AM
CanadianCayman
4th Gear

If anybody find this thread at some point, I sorted it out. I ordered a speaker off of Ebay. Part number 997.645.545.00
The speaker in my door was in perfect shape, nothing broken, nothing looked out of place, wires connected. So I started doubting the speaker was the issue. I then connected the ebay one, and it worked right away. Problem solved. Really curious about what's wrong with the original speaker though.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianCayman:
Julian_KCMO (07-28-2023), vitaminC (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 10:45 AM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

I haven't had an issue with a tweeter before (that I've noticed...) but one way to test a speaker is connect it to a small battery like a 9v, it should "pop". I know this works for woofers and mids because they are big enough and the cone has enough throw to see and make the pop sound but haven't tried it with a tweeter. You aren't damaging the speaker when you do this, just activating the coil and extending the speaker/cone.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 07-28-2023, 09:44 PM
CanadianCayman
4th Gear

I've tried that out on the original speaker, 9v battery. It does pop. So I'm even more confused now. Maybe it just needed an unplug-replug. I'm way too lazy to remove the door panel again though. I'll keep it as a spare.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:28 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianCayman
I've tried that out on the original speaker, 9v battery. It does pop. So I'm even more confused now. Maybe it just needed an unplug-replug. I'm way too lazy to remove the door panel again though. I'll keep it as a spare.
Just a wild guess but maybe there was some corrosion on the connectors to the speaker. Disconnecting and reconnecting might have “cleaned off” the corrosion. That happened with a headlight bulb on my wife’s Lexus a while back.

Quick Reply: Dead door speaker (tweeter) - Bose package - How to approach it?