Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Cayman S ticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 05:22 AM
987London
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 Cayman S ticking

Hi All. Kindly soliciting opinions. I know that 987s are ticky engines, and that there are lots of posts about ticking, but this ticking is new (and loud) and I haven't found any previous posts that seem to make sense for this. Also situation is a bit unique as described below.

This is a 987.1 Cayman S with about 70k miles. It had bore scoring, which was fixed by a Porsche independent shop less than 100 miles ago (engine out, new liners, etc). The only place it's really been driven since the engine out is back from their shop. Shortly after I got the car back it started making a loud ticking noise. I've sent the below video to the shop, and they said it sounds like a bottom end bearing failure (but would have to check), which would require a full engine rebuild and since it's not related to new liners they put in it wouldn't be under warranty. They suggested I don't drive car and tow it back to them. Needless to say two engine out services a few weeks apart is going to be financially troublesome.

Thought I would check with you guys on the interwebs to see if anyone had any thoughts? Video to link below. The noise it the same if car is cold or warm. Obviously ticking increases frequency with engine rpm.

https://youtube.com/short...ex4-O2o?feature=share3
Old 06-16-2023, 06:20 AM
Cemlo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just reading your description of events, I'm thinking, why were the main end bearings not replaced? When I was investigating the options of bore score, thats one thing that was mentioned to me, if the engine is being broken-down make sure you do the end bearings. That was just by a collegue at work who'd had porsches and spoke to his mechanic friend for me to get some Autodata. Surely the Indy should have suggested those bearings were done as a matter of course?
Old 06-16-2023, 06:34 AM
987London
2nd Gear

Probably should have. I don't think it was suggested. That being said, I had told them I didn't want to spend more than necessary. I'm in a stupid cancer battle and not able to work much anymore, so money is an issue. Just wanted to fix car so I can sell it to help pay bills.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:38 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

Assuming you still trust this shop, I would let them listen to it, using a mechanics stethescope, to hopefully isolate where the noise is coming from. Remote diagnosis based on a phone video from the cockpit is not really a good idea but in general, based on the sharpness of the tone, I don't hear bearing. There are multiple things it could be. If you can, you might want to get someone besides the shop that may have screwed up your engine rebuild to listen to it. If I had to guess I would say hydraulic lifter.
Are you in the UK? Is so, send your video to Hartech.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:35 PM
Nate89
1st Gear

They machined the block. These engines aren't known for bearing failure afaik. Sounds like they ****ed up if the bearings are somehow bad a few miles later.

Last edited by Nate89; 06-16-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:59 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't dismiss the obvious, could be a loose exhaust header bolt. They should be retorqued after a few heat cycles.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (06-18-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 03:44 PM
Cemlo
Advanced

Exactly, could be something pretty minor. To me now I've listened to the video, it sounds like its coming from the area where the brake vacume pump is located. Get it to a shop who will hopefully have good news for you, all the best.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:46 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
Don't dismiss the obvious, could be a loose exhaust header bolt. They should be retorqued after a few heat cycles.
based on the sound this is quite possible. Hopefully the OP gets a break.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:03 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemlo
Exactly, could be something pretty minor. To me now I've listened to the video, it sounds like its coming from the area where the brake vacume pump is located. Get it to a shop who will hopefully have good news for you, all the best.
@Cemlo With all due respect, how can you tell where the noise is coming from based on a monoral recording made from the drivers seat, with the noise coming from within a fully sound insulated engine compartment?
Old 06-18-2023, 02:22 AM
Cemlo
Advanced

@harveyf With all due respect. I don't know if you know where the vac pump is located, it was my guess as that sound is so prominent (litrally sounds like it's outside the engine compartment) it's one of the few parts it could be - imho.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:24 AM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a ticking noise, I was actually missing a exhaust manifold bolt, had to install new gasket and bolts.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:21 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,961 Likes on 937 Posts

From your original description, it seems the car had been sitting a lot and not driven

In my case, it's always a stuck lifter. I drove 10-15 minutes and the ticking goes away. I know this because my car sits for very long periods of time

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
emjohn43 (04-07-2024)

Quick Reply: 987.1 Cayman S ticking