Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And the Concours winner is…

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 04:49 PM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

It's pretty. I suppose a lot of my 'feelings' are jealousy. That I cannot afford to have vehicles as decorations.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:30 PM
Dietrich72
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kattman
I completely agree with you Dietrich. I thought the exact same thing, when I saw 1300 miles.. I suppose you're simply in a whole other tax bracket, when you can have pristine 1:1 scale models of a really cool car!!
Good point Kattman! I hadn't thought of that!
The following users liked this post:
Kattman (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 06:05 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Kattman
It's pretty. I suppose a lot of my 'feelings' are jealousy. That I cannot afford to have vehicles as decorations.
Nothing to be jealous of here, as we both own 987’s and the BEST PART of owning a 987 is driving one! I do drive all of my cars, oftentimes not as much as I would like due to the inevitable life conflicts but when given the chance I drive them as intended and smile!
The following 3 users liked this post by nathan1:
dave_987 (07-02-2023), grgallo (06-24-2023), Kattman (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 06:39 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
Fun to see my car posted up here and I was thrilled to win! Thanks for all the kind words as well! I don't disagree with the sentiment that 1,300 miles is a waste, there is a backstory as to why it has such low miles but out of respect for the original owners family I will not share it here. Suffice it to say that I honored his wishes with the car and have been thrilled to be be its next custodian.

The most fun thing about the car is that I was able to execute on a vision that I had for the Limited Edition. I have always felt that Porsche stopped short of perfection with this car and there was some missed oppurtunitiy, so I put on my "What Would Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur Do".... so here is a list of the various changes I made:
  • Exterior Elements in Gloss Black: A-Pillar, OEM Hardtop, Headlight Washers, Boxster Spyder Exhaust Tips
  • Techquipment All Red Tailights
  • Brake Calipers Refinished in Orange to Match. Brake Rotor hats refinished in Black, 15mm spacers all around, black titanium lugnuts
  • OEM 987.2 Boxster Spyder Springs, shocks and sway bars
  • Interior Elements in Gloss Black: Door Pulls, Airbags warning emblems, HVAC controls, Radio delete panel, console horseshoe, center console, globe box pull, instrument binnacle surround
  • Boxster Spyder Binnacle Cover Delete
  • Radio Delete Shelf
  • Alacantara Sport Design Steering wheel and airbag
  • OEM GT2 Carbon Fiber Folding buckets with P1 Designs Orange/Black Pepita inserts
  • Removed Boxster Door Sills and Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur Door Sill Graphics
  • Exclusive Storage Bin cover with embossed Porsche Crest
  • Many more small changes I can't even recall, I think 53 changes in total.

It was an amazingly fun project that I think really achieved my vision of what this car should have been. More that anything it was great to win with a Boxster. Fair or not in Porsche circles the Boxster has a hard time competing for the hearts and minds vs. the various 911 GT variants. The car won it's class against some AMAZING cars, won in Group (which means competing against all other cars in the same group but non Boxters) which only 3 Boxster/Caymans have ever won in the last 26 years and the best award IMO is that the kids voted this their favorite car out of ALL the Porsche's at the event! I think this bodes well for all Boxster owners!
I will admit that I did have the thought that, Beetlejuice like, if we mentioned your name often enough you might appear!

Thanks for providing the backstory and the photos of your stunning vision brought to reality.
The following users liked this post:
grgallo (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 02:43 PM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Nothing to be jealous of here, as we both own 987’s and the BEST PART of owning a 987 is driving one! I do drive all of my cars, oftentimes not as much as I would like due to the inevitable life conflicts but when given the chance I drive them as intended and smile!
My respect to you..

Glad you drive them!
Old 06-29-2023, 03:29 PM
reds89
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to say how significant this placing is. I have mad respect for Nathan's multiple first place wins here. I've tried my hand at our local PCA concours and it drives me crazy seeing a judge point out everything I missed. I managed a 3rd place with my Boxster but I think the fact that it was raining helped me out. I also like the vision of how you thought it should've come from the factory, and applied it.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:10 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

You sound like a great guy, my hats off to you for the LE. I never do car shows but I can see how much fun it could be to work up a car like you did.

I'm going to copy you on a few things!

Love the binnacle paint, how difficult was that for the paint shop? Did it require disassembly of the whole unit?

Are the sills held on with adhesive, or was the sill filled and repainted after you took them out?

I've been waffling about a hardtop for my red Boxster S but now I want one!

Old 06-29-2023, 04:37 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I loved the black hardtop contrast to the orange paint. Plus, the hardtop really changes the look of the car. I lost my storage space for my hardtop, so I still have it on my Boxster (I already told my wife we're putting it in the living room until I build a hoist). I've taken it to the local cars and coffee several times with the hardtop on and people thought I bought a different car. Funny how much it changes the look.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:48 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
You sound like a great guy, my hats off to you for the LE. I never do car shows but I can see how much fun it could be to work up a car like you did.

I'm going to copy you on a few things!

Love the binnacle paint, how difficult was that for the paint shop? Did it require disassembly of the whole unit?

Are the sills held on with adhesive, or was the sill filled and repainted after you took them out?

I've been waffling about a hardtop for my red Boxster S but now I want one!
Great questions! The whole thing wouldn’t be a project for the faint of heart as it required near complete disassembly of the interior. Shout out to Eric at Bumperplugs.com as his team painted but all the trim BUT the binnacle. They decided it was too risky to try and take the lenses out of it and felt they needed to come out for paint. An amazing friend of mine spent hours masking it and did the paint and I was THRILLED! Not easy… but worth it!

The door sills are adhesive only but they are literally on like a ****…. Use a heat gun and a plastic trim tool to start a corner and start pulling… you will swear they won’t come off but pull with all your might… you WILL ruin the trim so just be ok you can never reuse them! Then carefully remove the adhesive and polish the sills. Looks amazing IMO!

Hardtop: I am NOT an open car fan (yes I know it’s a Boxster…) and love the hardtop so it was a must have for me.

some pics of disassembly:

The following 2 users liked this post by nathan1:
Kattman (06-30-2023), PhillyNate (07-13-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 12:18 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

congratulations, Nathan and Afshin!

love the Boxsters

I do my best to make up for the garage queens, do what you please,
it's all good
nearly 56,000 miles on mine
Old 07-02-2023, 09:36 PM
dave_987
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations Nathan!! It’s nice to see vision and hard work rewarded. The orange is awesome and I really like the seats, so classic! Makes me proud to be a fellow 987 custodian.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:22 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

https://www.thedrive.com/news/youtub...d-sounds-great
Old 07-06-2023, 03:32 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 270 Posts

Drive 'em!!!
Old 07-06-2023, 06:12 PM
Dietrich72
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Drive 'em!!!
Old 07-07-2023, 05:59 AM
enlico
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Splendid project Nathan. Really great job and well deserved trophy.

Quick Reply: And the Concours winner is…