Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPFP for 987.2 (Out of Stock)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 05:36 PM
krazyrushin
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HPFP for 987.2 (Out of Stock)

Hey all, brand new to the community! I am currently in the market for a 987.2 Cayman. I have one I’m looking at. It’s nearly perfect but needs a HPFP. I’m looking everywhere but it’s Out of Stock or on back order. I’ve heard the ETA is 2025! What options exist? Is there a fuel pump from another Porsche that works as a replacement? Is there anything in the aftermarket? What options are available to me? Hard for me to imagine there’s no solution to this, since this doesn’t seem to be an uncommon issue with these cars.

TIA.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:42 PM
nicetheory
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyrushin
Hey all, brand new to the community! I am currently in the market for a 987.2 Cayman. I have one I’m looking at. It’s nearly perfect but needs a HPFP. I’m looking everywhere but it’s Out of Stock or on back order. I’ve heard the ETA is 2025! What options exist? Is there a fuel pump from another Porsche that works as a replacement? Is there anything in the aftermarket? What options are available to me? Hard for me to imagine there’s no solution to this, since this doesn’t seem to be an uncommon issue with these cars.

TIA.
Welcome to the forum! 2025? Yikes. Mind if I ask you how you know it needs a HPFP? Also, for what it's worth, I noticed you wrote 987.2 Cayman and not 987.2 Cayman S. Only the S model has a HPFP so you won't be needing that sort of fuel pump if you're looking at a base model. The good news there is I just had my base model's fuel pump replaced this week and it "only" took a week for the part to arrive from Germany. I thought a week was too long... but sure beats waiting until 2025.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:57 PM
krazyrushin
7th Gear

Good call - it is an ‘S’. I had two mechanics look at it and they both said the same thing. If the car has been sitting for more than 10 min, it takes a while (a few seconds) to crank. Once started, it runs well! So I guess part of me is wondering how long it might have? It’ll be my weekend car, so is it possible it has another year or two of life? And also, has a shortage like that happened before? Is there a risk there won’t be any more parts? And is ordering from Germany an option? Price isn’t as much the issue as it is finding one. Haha.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (10-01-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 09:43 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

If you really need it, think used parts. Maybe try a place like DC Automotive. Be sure you have the correct part number.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:54 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

I had to replace my HPFP last winter and nobody had them except for one dealer out west who refused to sell it to my mechanic. Had to wait 2 weeks to get from Germany. Not fun.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:10 PM
cavediver32043
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyrushin
Good call - it is an ‘S’. I had two mechanics look at it and they both said the same thing. If the car has been sitting for more than 10 min, it takes a while (a few seconds) to crank. Once started, it runs well! So I guess part of me is wondering how long it might have? It’ll be my weekend car, so is it possible it has another year or two of life? And also, has a shortage like that happened before? Is there a risk there won’t be any more parts? And is ordering from Germany an option? Price isn’t as much the issue as it is finding one. Haha.
Because it runs well after starting but hiccups on starts makes me wonder. Question......does it start on cold starts ok?; or is it problematic only on hot starts. Reason I ask is I recently had a start issue on Hot starts and After fueling. Cold starts were fine and after it started on hot starts it ran fine. I have a 07CS with Port Injection vs DI/HPFP. I isolated the EVAP system Regeneration Valve which routes gas vapers back into the intake. This valve will fail in the closed position and cause starting issues. I replaced mine and Zero start issues. I would think a failing HPFP would cause issues while driving also...
Hey man, food for thought thinking outside the box!!

Last edited by cavediver32043; 10-01-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:29 PM
krazyrushin
7th Gear

Good question. I’m not sure, but something I can ask the dealer. Unfortunately, it’s many states away so I can’t diagnose and test. But that’s an interesting question. Didn’t really wonder if it could be something else. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (10-02-2023)

Quick Reply: HPFP for 987.2 (Out of Stock)