Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

completely baffeled about how to lock my '09 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 05:40 PM
caymandan
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default completely baffeled about how to lock my '09 987.2

pressing the lock button gives two toots of the horn, the windows retract for a second, and the locks unlock themselves. nothing I do will make it to anything different, I can't figure out how to lock the car.

on top of that, I can't figure out how to unlock the gas cap, I have to pull the stupid loop in the passenger door well.

is there something stupid I am missing here?
Old 10-26-2023, 05:55 PM
caymandan
AutoX

here's a quick video showing what I mean

https://imgur.com/a/8eXEXSl
Old 10-26-2023, 05:58 PM
cpandrewschmidt
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandan
pressing the lock button gives two toots of the horn, the windows retract for a second, and the locks unlock themselves. nothing I do will make it to anything different, I can't figure out how to lock the car.

on top of that, I can't figure out how to unlock the gas cap, I have to pull the stupid loop in the passenger door well.

is there something stupid I am missing here?
The two chirps mean that something is still open when you're trying to lock it. Re-close your frunk and truck to make sure they're not open.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:06 PM
caymandan
AutoX

Originally Posted by cpandrewschmidt
The two chirps mean that something is still open when you're trying to lock it. Re-close your frunk and truck to make sure they're not open.
just opened/closed every door/panel, no go. when I click the lock button, the windows try to go UP for a half second, even though they are already fully rolled up, that doesn't seem right either. if the trunks are open, I get lights on the interior that won't shut off until I close them, so I don't think its either of those
Old 10-26-2023, 06:11 PM
caymandan
AutoX

just checked if the doors lock with the interior button, holding it turns red and the doors lock no problem
Old 10-26-2023, 06:23 PM
Zepper
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

just checked if the doors lock with the interior button, holding it turns red and the doors lock no problem
Well then i hope its a convertible.

To lock your car:

1) Enter car.
2) Turn key on.
3) Put top down.
4) Press center locking button on dash.
5) Climb out open top.
6) Job done.

Sorry couldn't resist.

A serious suggestion: Is the battery on the remote fob good, have you replaced it recently? Might be 15 yrs old.

Last edited by Zepper; 10-26-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:55 PM
caymandan
AutoX

Originally Posted by Zepper
Well then i hope its a convertible.

To lock your car:

1) Enter car.
2) Turn key on.
3) Put top down.
4) Press center locking button on dash.
5) Climb out open top.
6) Job done.

Sorry couldn't resist.

A serious suggestion: Is the battery on the remote fob good, have you replaced it recently? Might be 15 yrs old.
didn't think of that, battery in the fob is sitting at 3.0067v, which is normally low but putting in a fresh 3.2v one, the fob doesn't work at all, but with the original battery it works like it did.

another thing I tried was locking the doors with teh driver side door lock, crank it right and it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP and repeats that until I remove the offending key.

next step is to check the car's battery voltage I guess, apparently low voltage causes weird things in these cars. definitely more troubleshooting than I was hoping for on my 2nd day of ownership
Old 10-26-2023, 07:25 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the glovebox closed?

-Eric
The following users liked this post:
jbx2 (10-28-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:58 PM
Zepper
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

didn't think of that, battery in the fob is sitting at 3.0067v, which is normally low but putting in a fresh 3.2v one, the fob doesn't work at all, but with the original battery it works like it did.

another thing I tried was locking the doors with teh driver side door lock, crank it right and it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP and repeats that until I remove the offending key.

next step is to check the car's battery voltage I guess, apparently low voltage causes weird things in these cars. definitely more troubleshooting than I was hoping for on my 2nd day of ownership
That is true, low battery can make weird things start to happen. I am not 100% sure, but there might be programing required when the main car battery is replaced. I'll let someone else who has had to replace one speak up. Another member warned me of that possibility but i haven't replaced the battery in mine yet so i can't say for sure.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:13 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Zepper
That is true, low battery can make weird things start to happen. I am not 100% sure, but there might be programing required when the main car battery is replaced. I'll let someone else who has had to replace one speak up. Another member warned me of that possibility but i haven't replaced the battery in mine yet so i can't say for sure.
There is a great article in a back issue of Excellence by Tony Callas about why you should never disconnect the battery of a 9x7 series car without having some constant source of power to preserve all of your computer's adaptations.

Having said that, I have disconnected my power multiple times and for long periods in my 987.2 CS without having to reprogram windows/locking.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:07 PM
caymandan
AutoX

Originally Posted by Eric Kessel
Is the glovebox closed?

-Eric
indeed, but man that would be funny if that is what it is. tonight it actually locked itself once with the key while I was in a store, but then continued not locking it and I get to park it hoping no hobos go rummaging through my empty car tonight. my dealer is goign to chat with a porsche guru tomorrow so I'll fill you guys in on whatever we find
Old 10-26-2023, 10:23 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I had an issue where it would honk when locking the door if the glovebox was open (in my old 987.2 CS)

just a thought…..

-Eric
04 996
Old 10-27-2023, 11:49 AM
bredward
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Sometimes door latch sensors are faulty and report that a particular door/trunk/glovebox is open when it is in fact closed. I wonder if a Durametric or Foxwell or PIWIS could show which door it thinks is ajar, and then you could replace that sensor.
The following 2 users liked this post by bredward:
Herbie555 (10-27-2023), joliver3 (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 09:29 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe the center console cubby is open.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:31 PM
caymandan
AutoX

Originally Posted by bredward
Sometimes door latch sensors are faulty and report that a particular door/trunk/glovebox is open when it is in fact closed. I wonder if a Durametric or Foxwell or PIWIS could show which door it thinks is ajar, and then you could replace that sensor.
what is throwing me off is that from inside, pressing the lock button locks the doors just fine, so like, shouldn't that give me the same angry warning beeps? still haven't heard back from my dealer yet but I'll update the thread as I go

Quick Reply: completely baffeled about how to lock my '09 987.2