Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Boxster Carnewal Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 12:11 PM
c1n3ma
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 987.1 Boxster Carnewal Exhaust

Good morning rennlisters!

I'm considering getting a Carnewal Exhaust, but unfortunately I've been cursed with sensitive ears. I find the factory exhaust a little too quiet, and the Carnewal drew me in since it's the 'quieter' aftermarket exhaust typically. How much louder is the exhaust in the cabin? If someone has a db meter that would be greatly appreciated.

The part the concerns me the most is that once this mod is done, I'll have no factory exhaust to revert back to if it's too loud, and buying a carnewal without the core refund is out of budget.

Any advice here would be great, thanks.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:38 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

My understanding on this system it that it is essentially a Fister D mod. That means it is loud(er) at idle and WOT. Otherwise, during normal driving it is a factory exhaust.

Search on "Fister D" in the 996 and 997 forums for a better explanation.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:14 PM
bredward
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're looking for a cheap core so you can keep your headers as a backup, I have a set of stock headers with cats from a 2006 Boxster S. Given that I replaced them due to P0421/P0431, I don't think they're worth much and I was just going to take them to the scrap yard. I'd let them go for scrap value + shipping.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:21 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bredward
If you're looking for a cheap core so you can keep your headers as a backup, I have a set of stock headers with cats from a 2006 Boxster S. Given that I replaced them due to P0421/P0431, I don't think they're worth much and I was just going to take them to the scrap yard. I'd let them go for scrap value + shipping.
What are you going to replace the stock manifolds with?
Old 11-06-2023, 09:05 PM
J Free
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one. I thought the stock was way too quiet as well. I find it to be just right. Hal (above) is correct. It's got a nice burble at idle, normal driving it's barely noticeable, and when you get on it it's got a nice sound, but not too loud. If you want to just open it up a bit and have it sound like a quality sports car and not a sewing machine it's a good option.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Only echo the above. Its got a nice burble at idle, driving around town, most people wouldn't suspect anything has been done to the exhaust, but when you wind it out - it shrieks, but not in a way that hurts your ears. Only drawback is that mine drones a bit at a certain rev, but that's easily avoided.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:43 AM
Cemlo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one aswell and very pleased with it. I find it just right, not too loud, no drone, nice burble and rasp when you'd expect.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:16 AM
bredward
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
What are you going to replace the stock manifolds with?
I already replaced them with Fabspeed headers with HFCs. I got them on sale, otherwise I might have been put off by some reports of welds cracking vs. the (albeit more expensive) equivalent Soul option.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:05 AM
Jsshs
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c1n3ma
Good morning rennlisters!

I'm considering getting a Carnewal Exhaust, but unfortunately I've been cursed with sensitive ears. I find the factory exhaust a little too quiet, and the Carnewal drew me in since it's the 'quieter' aftermarket exhaust typically. How much louder is the exhaust in the cabin? If someone has a db meter that would be greatly appreciated.

The part the concerns me the most is that once this mod is done, I'll have no factory exhaust to revert back to if it's too loud, and buying a carnewal without the core refund is out of budget.

Any advice here would be great, thanks.
i second this