Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 10:21 PM
c1n3ma
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?

I have the Pilot Sport 4S on my car right now, thinking about going to the AS4 for increased longevity and cold performance. It's less than 60 days since I got the 4S so I can get them traded out at no cost for AS4. I garage it in the winter but am worried about storing in an unheated garage and low lifespan on the 4S. I'm not sure I use the full capabilities of the 4S, especially since I'm worried about oil starvation in high Gs. Does anyone else have input they'd be willing to give on this?
Old 11-28-2023, 11:34 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

If you garage it in the winter(snow?) then I don't see a point to having all seasons. If you plan on diving it in the snow then I would get dedicated winter tires, not all seasons.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (12-02-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 PM
c1n3ma
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It'd be nice in the spring and fall for those days where the temperature drops below the recommended minimum of 40 degrees, and the 50% higher tread expectancy/warranty. I'm also hesitant because I called Michelin about storing the PS4S on my car in an unheated garage, and they were adamant that that is against their recommendation.

A follow up question as well; how well do the 987s hold up to corrosion? Since I’m in upstate New York, they salt the hell out of the roads and I’m worried about how the car is going to hold up after a couple years. I already see white spots on the aluminum under my car.

Last edited by c1n3ma; 11-29-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:37 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

If you aren't driving at the limit of the PS4S I don't really see any downside of going with the HP all season tire. You'll still have more grip than 99% of cars on the road, however because the grip limits will be lower you'll be able to feel what our 987 is like at the limit. I used to drive my Cayman on Conti DWS06 and I think I preferred it to the "welded to the road" feeling of the Conti ECS I've run for the past 5 years. Holy grail for me would be HP all seasons on my 18 inch wheels and then a set of HP summers on a set of 19's for when I want max grip... and cool looks.
RJ80 (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 08:44 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I went a different route. For the fall/spring where it's cool and there is always a chance of snow I started rocking Michelin Cross Climate 2s. They are not a sporty tire but winter rated 4 seasons tire. They are on 17s and cheap enough. So far so good in my limited experience. Weather here is temperamental at times.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:59 AM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by c1n3ma
It'd be nice in the spring and fall for those days where the temperature drops below the recommended minimum of 40 degrees, and the 50% higher tread expectancy/warranty. I'm also hesitant because I called Michelin about storing the PS4S on my car in an unheated garage, and they were adamant that that is against their recommendation.

A follow up question as well; how well do the 987s hold up to corrosion? Since I’m in upstate New York, they salt the hell out of the roads and I’m worried about how the car is going to hold up after a couple years. I already see white spots on the aluminum under my car.
I have them on my new to my 987.2 2.9. I haven't tracked the car but do drive fairly hard on corners and such. They seem to be fine and I like the extended tempreature range and ability to cope with colder temps. nothing worse than a rock hard summer tire on a nice 50 degree january day in Virginia.

I do think they are a little loud but I have nothing to compare them to.

What is michelines storage suggestion for these since the car will sit much of the winter once the salt comes out? Jack stands?

I'd also like to know about rust....my guess is it isnt a huge issue with modern galvanizing and such....but if there is a pocket or two to keep an eye on that would be good to know.
9!!_VA (01-08-2024)
Old 11-29-2023, 02:13 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Like Kris, I also think all-seasons would probably be a better choice as a street tire. You'll be better equipped for the occasional rainy or cold day. And if you like to feel the car working in the corners at half-sane speeds, tires with slightly lower dry grip could be just the ticket. These cars can feel a little sterile on the road with too much grip.

Old 11-29-2023, 05:49 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

I've had them on my winter wheels on my 2016 BMW M235 for 2 years now. I absolutely love them. Excellent grip in the cold, wet, warm temps, and even in light now. They wear well and aren't noisy plus they look good.I will replace the absolute garbage summer Pirelli PZeros that came on my 987.2 Cayman Base with the All Season 4s as I like to drive the Cayman all year.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:55 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I had the PSAS4 on my GTI and I wouldn't hesitate to put them on a Cayman.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:40 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 138 Posts

i’ve got the as4 on my 986 and like them. i switched from ps2 for the cold weather benefits. i’d happily recommend the as4 to anyone who doesn’t care about the absolute max summer performance. being that you already have the ps4s mounted and you park the car in the winter, i’d keep them. the ps4s is a GREAT tire except in cold temps
Old 11-30-2023, 09:18 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

I have been running AS4's for 2 years. Also have them on my '08 RS4. Absolutely love them. Unless you drive your car to and from the track, IMHO, there is no real need for summer tires.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:43 AM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

Not really sure why you would bother buying a full set of tires to use on a rare occasion. Keep in mind you are not going to be driving super quickly on any tire if it is 20-30 degrees out, as the tire may work better if an All Season or Winter tire, but the pavement does not car , it is going to be cold and not conducive to really rapid driving. If you garage is attached to your house go out and measure the temperature on a cold day, as you may find your unheated garage stays fairly warm in comparison to the outside temp. I would stick with what you have, take the car out on days it will warm up to the low 40s or even in the 30s and drive conservatively until you see some temp increase in the tires. Otherwise I guess my question is for you to ask yourself how often you will actually drive during the Winter, etc.?

Just my opinion, but I tend to keep my performance cars in over the Winter more because of all the caustic crap the highways are covered with in salt, sand , and anti-icing chemicals. That stuff seems to gather and wait for a good rain to really clean off, so that becomes more of a concern. Good luck with whatever you decide as you personal comfort level is really what is important, anyway.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:01 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by c1n3ma
I have the Pilot Sport 4S on my car right now, thinking about going to the AS4 for increased longevity and cold performance. It's less than 60 days since I got the 4S so I can get them traded out at no cost for AS4. I garage it in the winter but am worried about storing in an unheated garage and low lifespan on the 4S. I'm not sure I use the full capabilities of the 4S, especially since I'm worried about oil starvation in high Gs. Does anyone else have input they'd be willing to give on this?
I have them on my Dodge 392 scat pack. Took a full second off my 1/4. Very smooth feeling tire. Tracks well, doesn't 'wagon rut'. I have some cheap crap from China on the Cayman. That are doing really well for every day driving.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

I had AS4s on my Boxster S, now moved to my current Cayman. Prior to the AS4s I had General Gmax RS and I prefer the way those drove. They were a 360 tread wear tire and had a stiffer side wall than the AS4s, the AS4s feel much more "vague" and the car tends to follow the camber of the road. Yes they have slightly better wet performance, probably better cold weather performance but I had no complaints driving the Gmax RS year round here in Kansas City. I would have gotten another set but the price had jumped up since I got them 2 years ago and Costco had a deal on Michelins earlier this year. I won't be fitting AS4s again to the Cayman purely based on the way they drive. More suited to my wifes Audi.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:07 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts
Default tire

Originally Posted by Julian_KCMO
I had AS4s on my Boxster S, now moved to my current Cayman. Prior to the AS4s I had General Gmax RS and I prefer the way those drove. They were a 360 tread wear tire and had a stiffer side wall than the AS4s, the AS4s feel much more "vague" and the car tends to follow the camber of the road. Yes they have slightly better wet performance, probably better cold weather performance but I had no complaints driving the Gmax RS year round here in Kansas City. I would have gotten another set but the price had jumped up since I got them 2 years ago and Costco had a deal on Michelins earlier this year. I won't be fitting AS4s again to the Cayman purely based on the way they drive. More suited to my wifes Audi.
might consider the General Gmax RS since my 987 sits outside (NJ) and only driven on clear roads regardless of temperature is it an all season with higher speed limit? thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?